Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

F/U cough and our first vet visit (giardia)

My puppy (I am sure you all remember the dummy chick who got her dog from a byb and didn't realize that "accidental litters" are also considered byb) does indeed have kennel cough.  She is doing tons better though, and only coughs a couple times a day.  It so reminds me of when my kids had croup when they were little.  Poor thing.  Her fecal sample also came back with giardia.  She is on meds for it right now, and totally asymptomatic which I guess I am glad about.  She has started her vaccines and got her first de-wormer medicine.  I know I didn't get her from the right place, but feel like she is mine now, so I am going to consider my job to make her an awesome dog and get her all fixed up and super healthy.  

Does anyone have experience with giardia?  How about has any person gotten sick from their puppy?  I am pretty nervous that my kids will get it, but what can I do?  We are big on hand-washing anyway since my kids have asthma and can get pretty sick from a bad cold.  And because I am terrified of stomach viruses.  I guess I am just looking for feedback.  If a person does indeed get sick, are antibiotics necessary?  Thanks! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Planned Races 2012 Colorado Marathon (10k) May 6 Bolder Boulder (10k) May 28 Sierras race (5k) June 2 HITS Ft. Collins (sprint) July 28 Tri for the cure (sprint) August 18 Boulder Sunset (Olympic) Sept 1

Re: F/U cough and our first vet visit (giardia)

• There are plenty of people that have posted on this board that got pets from pet stores and/or BYB's before they knew better...try not to let it bother you, and you are NOT a dummy.  Like you said, she's yours now and you can do everything you can to make sure she's an awesome dog and go with shelter/rescue when you decide to get her a brother or sister ;)

Glad to hear her kennel cough is sounding better already-when my Georgie had it, she made such a quick turnaround I still wonder sometimes if she actually had it.  Regardless its great that you were able to get her in so quickly before it got worse.  I don't have any experience with giardia personally but I don't thiiiiink it can be transmitted to humans or if it can, it would only be transmitted if you're coming in direct contact with her poop (ewwwww).  My guess would be as long as you're able to get her poop cleaned up quickly and your kids aren't aspiring "Poocassos" (poo artists) you guys should be fine :D

• Teddie had giardia twice when he was a puppy, but we weren't so lucky with the asymptomatic part (seriously the most disgusting smell I have ever experienced - sorry if that's TMI).  Luckily, once the pup is on the meds, the grossness clears up within about 24 hours, so hopefully you won't have to deal with that at all.

Most importantly: YES, giardia can be passed between dogs and humans.  You can avoid that by washing everyone's hands frequently and avoiding direct contact with your pup's poo.  There are human meds for giardia, but trust me, you do not want giardia.  The good news is that DH and I never got it from Teddie when he had it, and we were the ones who had to clean up after him.  We just washed our hands frequently and santizied any areas he had accidents.

Your vet probably told you this, but until your pup is clear from both kennel cough and giardia, do not take her around other dogs because both illnesses can be passed to other dogs.  So that means no dog park, PetCo/Petsmart, even greeting other dogs on the street.  I might have been super-strict, but I would be pretty ticked if a dog owner knew his/her dog was sick and contagious and still allowed it to interact with my dog.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt136343.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image Caz1221:

Teddie had giardia twice when he was a puppy, but we weren't so lucky with the asymptomatic part (seriously the most disgusting smell I have ever experienced - sorry if that's TMI).  Luckily, once the pup is on the meds, the grossness clears up within about 24 hours, so hopefully you won't have to deal with that at all.

Most importantly: YES, giardia can be passed between dogs and humans.  You can avoid that by washing everyone's hands frequently and avoiding direct contact with your pup's poo.  There are human meds for giardia, but trust me, you do not want giardia.  The good news is that DH and I never got it from Teddie when he had it, and we were the ones who had to clean up after him.  We just washed our hands frequently and santizied any areas he had accidents.

Your vet probably told you this, but until your pup is clear from both kennel cough and giardia, do not take her around other dogs because both illnesses can be passed to other dogs.  So that means no dog park, PetCo/Petsmart, even greeting other dogs on the street.  I might have been super-strict, but I would be pretty ticked if a dog owner knew his/her dog was sick and contagious and still allowed it to interact with my dog.

Yep, our vet told us.  I am super bummed because I was looking forward to socializing her with some friends dogs I know are super healthy, as well as most of the children who come through the house.  I've even put a halt to playdates and gtg until I know our puppy is okay so nobody spreads anything on their little hands/clothes to their pets at home.  I am bummed because she is 10 weeks and a great age to get used to everything.  The vet said the giardia is all clear when the meds are gone (will be Sat.) but I am not sure of the kennel cough.  I should call the vet (I will right now.)  I wonder if it is when she no longer coughs?  A few days after?  I'll call right now. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Planned Races 2012 Colorado Marathon (10k) May 6 Bolder Boulder (10k) May 28 Sierras race (5k) June 2 HITS Ft. Collins (sprint) July 28 Tri for the cure (sprint) August 18 Boulder Sunset (Olympic) Sept 1
  • Man, 4-5 days past the last time she coughs.  Bummer!  Oh well, better to have everyone healthy.  
  • image PrincessPeach05:
    Man, 4-5 days past the last time she coughs.  Bummer!  Oh well, better to have everyone healthy.  

Don't worry too much - whenever your pup is healthy, you can exposure her to different people, places, animals, sounds, etc.  Due to giardia and ear mites (yippee!), we couldn't bring Teddie around other dogs until he was about 16 weeks (he was 13 weeks when we got him).  Those 3 weeks didn't seem to hinder his socialization at all - he is 4 now and best described as bomb-proof.  He loves everyone and is not phased by anything, which I attribute to his 10 month puppyhood in Manhattan!

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt136343.aspx[/img][/url]
  • My dog also had Giardia. She came from the shelter with it. The vet gave her an oral med that we had use a syringe in her mouth to get her to take it. 2 weeks later, we take another sample to the vet and still has the Giardia and was given stronger meds. She was recontaminating herself by eating her poop (so gross). So whenever we let her out, we pick up poop right away before she has a chance to get to it and if she licked our hands, we would wash with hot soapy water. We eventually got her to stop when she became a champion of the "leave it" command.

I've read canned pumpkin and pineapple are good things to give a dog that is reinfecting themselves - its great going down, gross if she tries to recycle her poop. I've also read putting tobascco sauce on poop is good too but I figured why bother if I needed to go pick it up anyhow but that's just me.

image image
  • image PrincessPeach05:
    image Caz1221:

Teddie had giardia twice when he was a puppy, but we weren't so lucky with the asymptomatic part (seriously the most disgusting smell I have ever experienced - sorry if that's TMI).  Luckily, once the pup is on the meds, the grossness clears up within about 24 hours, so hopefully you won't have to deal with that at all.

Yep, our vet told us.  I am super bummed because I was looking forward to socializing her with some friends dogs I know are super healthy, as well as most of the children who come through the house.  I've even put a halt to playdates and gtg until I know our puppy is okay so nobody spreads anything on their little hands/clothes to their pets at home.  I am bummed because she is 10 weeks and a great age to get used to everything.  The vet said the giardia is all clear when the meds are gone (will be Sat.) but I am not sure of the kennel cough.  I should call the vet (I will right now.)  I wonder if it is when she no longer coughs?  A few days after?  I'll call right now. 

I know you're bummed you can't take her out and about right now, but just keep in mind that you'll want to limit her exposure to heavy dog-traffic areas until she's had all her routine puppy vaccinations anyway (which are usually finished up around 16 weeks). That means no walking around pet stores or going to the dog park until she's fully vaccinated; you don't want to risk her picking up something else nasty and preventable!

Once she's better from her KC and giardia, though, you can start taking her to places with lots of people to get her exposed to all sorts of sights/sounds/smells/types of people. Just limit the doggy interactions until she's vacc'd. Having her interact with a few dogs you know are totally vacc'd and healthy is fine, though. Zoey was playing with my friend's chocolate lab at just 9 1/5 weeks! LOL!

image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • Our dog is a giardia carrier after most likely picking it up while living as a stray for who knows how long.

Before we knew what it was she was having flair ups pretty regularly, every 3 -4 weeks. We've finally gotten her to a stable point. For us, keeping her eating regularly and a daily probiotic has helped her keep everything in check but our vet still believes she'll be a carrier for life. We try to be careful with handwashing/backyard clean up and with anytime she's around young kids.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Glad she is on the road to recovery! Now post some corgi mix pics when you can :) I have been told I have an addiction to corgis.....
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/ja9gl5.jpg[/IMG]

Tinkerbelle and Hank being outstanding rescue ambassadors

Photo credit to SarahToledo

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10732;130/st/20120721/e/Stay-cation+at+the+lake%21+/k/092f/event.png[/img]
    [/url]

Can't wait for a week of fun in the sun with my love!