Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Talk to me about arthritis and taking a dog to the vet who hasn't been in YEARS

As many of you know I've moved back home with my family. My heart dog who lives with them is 17 and I'm pretty sure she's got really bad arthritis. She falls quite often. She actually just fell trying to go upstairs and just laid there for a minute. It breaks my heart. 

I'm planning on taking her to the vet. I don't know when the last time she went was; I think it's been about 6 or 7 years. Anything they would do for her in an exam they wouldn't do on a younger dog? Also, what are my options for the arthritis? I know there's medication, but how much do those cost, what's the best out there, etc etc? What else can I do for her? 

I'm very worried I'll take her and they'll give me bad news, even though she seems fine otherwise.

Thanks, ladies! 

~*~formerly SummerSweethearts2010~*~
imageimage
Shy & Zeus

Re: Talk to me about arthritis and taking a dog to the vet who hasn't been in YEARS

• Oh poor puppy. She needs a complete checkup, probably all of her shots, and I know Dexter gets some extra bloodwork now that he's a senior (he's 11). 

As for the arthritis, I believe the common conventional medication is Deramaxx; I'm not sure of the price.  We don't use it or any of the conventional medications because of the side effects.  There are also lots of natural supplements that can help a lot without the side effects.  Dexter has arthritis and we give him Cosequin, Omega 3 (in the form of flaxseed oil), and alfalfa/yucca supplements every day.  They really help, especially the alfalfa and Omega 3. 

He also goes for acupuncture, which helped a lot too.  It is pricier; each treatment is $70 and he had to have 6 weekly treatments, then he went biweekly for a couple months.  He's down to going one a month now though so it's a lot less expensive.  If you can swing the cost, it's worth it.  It has helped him so much.

If you do get bad news, it's most likely to be kidney or liver based, or worst case, a tumor.  But dogs can sometimes live for years with any of those things, so don't worry too much.  And she might be absolutely fine. 

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • Aww poor pooch. My 90lb almost 11 year old collie Laddie has arthritis, and a veterinarian's trip stresses him out. We do go when need be but I try to make an appointment on times they WILL NOT be busy (i.e. weekends are out). See what times are the slowest so you can bring the dog in then...Also, if she very scared, our vet's office will allow you to wait in your car and come get you when they are ready for you.

Laddie has been on Deramaxx for years and it really does help him. I know a lot of dogs that do wonderfully on Rimadyl, but Laddie is extremely sensitive to medication and it made him excessively thirsty, lethargic and caused him to pee a lot. 

Good luck!

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • image andreas4dogs:
    Iknow a lot of dogs that do wonderfully on Rimadyl, but Laddie is extremely sensitive to medication and it made him excessively thirsty, lethargic and caused him to pee a lot. 

Dexter's conventional vet recommended Rimadyl but I read about it and wasn't comfortable with the risks/side effects.  That is actually what led us to seek out a holistic vet and begin acupuncture.

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.