Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Holiday Decorating: Help me brainstorm

I had an idea to wrap ribbon around my kitchen cabinet doors to make them look like presents - wide red ribbon horizontally and vertically, maybe a bow where the two cross. And, ideally, either tape (lighterweight) or clothespins (heavier but more interesting) to hold the cards we receive to the ribbons - double-duty decor and card holders.

The problem is how to affix the ribbon to the cabinet doors so that it's secure without causing damage to the doors or being a total PITA to remove. I was thinking double-sided tape but my cousin pointed out that it's a bitchto take off, so I've ditched that possibility.

ed + dani 10.31.08 | miranda 04.10.07 | liam 09.06.12
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2jezlp3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2rx75vm.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Holiday Decorating: Help me brainstorm

• well for the vertical, can you wrap it all the way around and afix it to itself...then the horizontal can get fixed there too...you have to make it tight but you could try it...

Doesn't "commando" am I making up this brand, make something that is guaranteed to remove

• 3M sells some putty type stuff that is suppossed to be removable.  I have never used it though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Double-sided tape is the devil - unless it's for permanent use. My aunt, bless her heart, made these photo collages for my mother's funeral, but used double-sided tape and now all the pictures are stuck to the foamboard. I have painstakingly been trying to carefully remove each one without destroying photos of my mom.

I think if you used a good strong regular tape, you might be able to get away with taping the ends to the backs of the cabinets. I would just refrain from hanging any heavier card or decor from the ribbon. Cute idea!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What about the blue painters tape?  That removes easily.
  • I saw this on Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/pin/56998751503490768/
    IUI#1 = 09/10 - Canceled - Dx w/POF
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • Why not just wrap the ribbon around the cabinet door like you would wrap a present?

@Mella&;T, could you pull the pictures up a bit and heat the tape with a hair dryer?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image madladybride:

Why not just wrap the ribbon around the cabinet door like you would wrap a present?

@Mella&;T, could you pull the pictures up a bit and heat the tape with a hair dryer?

Oh, good idea!! I will have to try this. Thank you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image weezie825:
    3M sells some putty type stuff that is suppossed to be removable.  I have never used it though.

Be careful with poster putty - it IS removable, but on certain paints, it will pull the paint up with it or leave what appears to be grease marks.  I say this only bc I had a brand new classroom last year (we moved into them over the Halloween weekend bc they had just finished construction - so really brand new!) and our administration would only permit us to hang things with poster putty... Come the end of the year when we're removing things and it was pulling chunks of paint off and leaving marks everywhere. That was, of course, the flat builder's paint. I have used it on other painted surfaces with no issues, though, and it works wonderfully. 

• I have no fastening ideas, but wanted to say that I LOVE this idea and want to try it myself. Whether or not I actually try it remains to be seen :)
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 3M makes a line of products- the Command line, and they are pretty specific about which products to use for what purposes- they have tabs that you can use to mount posters (unframed) that would probably work, you have to apply and remove them according to the instructions (clean the area first w/ rubbing alcohol so there is no grease to mess w/ the adhesion) and then you remove them by pulling down not ripping off- and it should be fine on your cabinets. 

I have used these tabs to make a gallery wall of DD's art on the playroom wall and so far so good.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers