Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Neighbor's dogs

We moved into our house almost 6 months ago and have been adjusting to our new neighbors.  They lived here first, and so we got used to seeing the dogs outside everyday/ all day.   They are a huskie mix and a bloodhound.  Absolutely adorable, and friendly. The problem with the dogs is since they are left out all day, they bark at everything.  Good watch dogs, but it bugs us when they are barking at 2 or 3 in the morning.  This has happened twice, the last occurrence being last night.  The first time DH ended up calling the cops because of the hour that it was happening.  Last night we did not call the cops, but it happened again.  It does not help that I feel horrible for them because last nights temperatures were in the 30's.  My question is what can we do about the barking?  Do we send an anonymous letter, or call the cops again.  The cops sent animal control last time, and the dogs were taken inside for a few days, and then put back outside.  Thanks for any help!

*TTC since 10/11* 
BFP: 9/30/12, EDD: 6/15/13
*~*Our miracle arrived on 6/13/13*~*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Neighbor's dogs

• Keep calling the cops/AC. Also, try to see if they have food, water, and shelter. If they're kept outside, they need to have those things provided for them. If it's starting to get down to freezing overnight, shelter is a huge must, as well as water that's not frozen.

If nothing else, the neighbors will get sick of having AC called and surrender the dogs if they're not willing to properly care for them.

You can try leaving them an anonymous letter, also. Explain how dogs need socialization and exercise, and leaving them outside all the time can put them in serious danger from other critters (it just takes one errant bite/sting to kill one of them; scroll down to see kellsw's Riley update post) or other people who do very cruel things to random animals (it's not unheard of for people to throw poison/poisoned food over a fence when they know there's a dog back there).

image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • image LuckyAngel07:

Keep calling the cops/AC. Also, try to see if they have food, water, and shelter. If they're kept outside, they need to have those things provided for them. If it's starting to get down to freezing overnight, shelter is a huge must, as well as water that's not frozen.

If nothing else, the neighbors will get sick of having AC called and surrender the dogs if they're not willing to properly care for them.

You can try leaving them an anonymous letter, also. Explain how dogs need socialization and exercise, and leaving them outside all the time can put them in serious danger from other critters (it just takes one errant bite/sting to kill one of them; scroll down to see kellsw's Riley update post) or other people who do very cruel things to random animals (it's not unheard of for people to throw poison/poisoned food over a fence when they know there's a dog back there).

They have a patio as shelter.  It looks like there's a big igloo as well, maybe it has a bed in it?  I can't see if there's food and water, but I would hope there would be at least water there.  I didn't even think about the water freezing last night.  

*TTC since 10/11* 
    BFP: 9/30/12, EDD: 6/15/13
    *~*Our miracle arrived on 6/13/13*~*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What are the laws in your area about barking/noises?  After you find out, I would definitely keep calling animal control (or the police, whomever you're supposed to call about it).  

I probably wouldn't do the anonymous note...honestly, they'll probably figure out who it is.  If you're thinking of going that route, just go over there and talk to them directly instead.