Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

moving a dog across the country

So I'm getting ahead of myself because the move isn't final yet, but I'm trying to figure out what all I need to do/think about to move my baby (a 120 lb great dane)with me from TX to MI.  I'll be driving my car up there I think, so I think I'll just load her up with me. 

- Should I get a crate for her for the car ride?  She hasn't been crated in years so I don't know how she would take to it.  I guess I could get it soon and just put her in there occasionaly to get her used to it?

- Should I get a sedative from the vet?  It's over 1000 miles, so I'm guessing that over 2 days we'll be in the car around 20-24 hours, pending weather and such

- I know I need to make sure that all her shots are current and get a health cert from the vet

- When I go to my vet I'll ask about a rec for a vet where I'm headed

- Anything else?  I looked up the State Vet in Michigan and all I see is to get the health cert that is good for 30 days.  Are there any other places that I should look for laws about bringing a dog in?  I'll look up local registration regs once I find out which county I'll be in.

TIA ladies!  I want to make sure my baby is happy (well, as happy as she can be through this) and gets there safe and sound!

Re: moving a dog across the country

• We moved our Kelpie from California to Ohio.  He just hung out in the back seat of our Jetta.  We covered over 2800 miles, 2500 of them in 6 days.  We planned the drive so that we'd have a place to stop each day, which worked out *really* well.  We hiked in Nevada, went to a dog park in Wyoming, walked around ISU's campus in Iowa, went to a nature preserve in Illinois, etc.  We didn't crate him; he's very good in the car.

I wouldn't get a sedative if it's not necessary.  It would suck to be hundreds of miles from home and have a complication, you know?

• image KatiesCats:

We moved our Kelpie from California to Ohio.  He just hung out in the back seat of our Jetta.  We covered over 2800 miles, 2500 of them in 6 days.  We planned the drive so that we'd have a place to stop each day, which worked out *really* well.  We hiked in Nevada, went to a dog park in Wyoming, walked around ISU's campus in Iowa, went to a nature preserve in Illinois, etc.  We didn't crate him; he's very good in the car.

I wouldn't get a sedative if it's not necessary.  It would suck to be hundreds of miles from home and have a complication, you know?

That's what I was worried about.  She rides really well in the back of my Tahoe, but I was just worried about her with the luggage and stuff that will have to be in there.  Maybe I can figureout a way to keep the luggage in the back seat and she can be in the "trunk" area. 

She takes benadryl every day for allergies too, so maybe I'll just give her one extra if she's having a tough time.  She only takes 1/2 the dose that she * could * take, so that might be a safe option.

• Last year we moved from Massachusetts to Alaska, 4800 miles in 8 days. I did a few trial runs in the car with our dog, she is used to being in the car but not all day, so we did a few half-day and full-day car trips with her around New England before the move.

We didn't have enough room in my car to have the crate set up in there, so I just had her in the back (hatch-back area) and I have a doggie gate so she couldn't jump into the back seat. I made sure she had water and lots of blankets and her bed to make her comfortable. 

I did have her crate readily available for when we would stop at hotels at night. I highly recommend researching pet-friendly hotels/motels (totally blanking on which ones we stayed at, sorry!). I also recommend motels with doors straight to the outside - it's much easier to get walks in that way and less barking at sounds since there are no inner hallways. 

My dog is on clomipramine (sp?) for anxiety, so I just kept up with her normal meds until the last two days of the trip where she's was getting really anxious about being in the car (and eventually on a ferry by herself in the car for 6 hours) and then I gave her an extra 1/2 pill (our vet had okay-ed this).

I needed extra paperwork since we were traveling through Canada, but you should just need a regular health certificate from the vet. I don't think there's anything else you would need as long as you're staying in the US. And make sure you get her complete records to give to your new vet. I had our new vets just make a copy of the records I brought with me so I was able to keep the originals I had gotten from our old vets.

I think that's about it all I can think of! Hope your move goes well!!

• I would definitely have a crate or at least a safety-approved car harness so you can buckle in for the long ride. With a ride that long, you definitely want to make sure that everyone's safe!
  • image berkleealaska:

I did have her crate readily available for when we would stop at hotels at night. I highly recommend researching pet-friendly hotels/motels (totally blanking on which ones we stayed at, sorry!). I also recommend motels with doors straight to the outside - it's much easier to get walks in that way and less barking at sounds since there are no inner hallways. 

I agree with this. I've taken my dog on a lot of road trips, the longest being about 1300 miles. I can't tell you how many times having a list of pet friendly places saved the day. I may be a bit anal about things but I look for hotels that are every 3 - 4 of hours apart during the day and every hour or so in the evening/night.

We always bring a fan or air purifier with us that we can plug in and drown out some of the sound so she doesn't bark at stuff.

Good luck! 

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.
  • image jennyk213:
    image berkleealaska:

I agree with this. I've taken my dog on a lot of road trips, the longest being about 1300 miles. I can't tell you how many times having a list of pet friendly places saved the day. I may be a bit anal about things but I look for hotels that are every 3 - 4 of hours apart during the day and every hour or so in the evening/night.

We always bring a fan or air purifier with us that we can plug in and drown out some of the sound so she doesn't bark at stuff.

Good luck! 

That's a fantastic idea!!  Thank you!

• image stargazertechie:
    I would definitely have a crate or at least a safety-approved car harness so you can buckle in for the long ride. With a ride that long, you definitely want to make sure that everyone's safe!

Do they make a harness that works in the back of an SUV?  She's too big to be in the seats (I have captains chairs, and she's 120 lbs) so she'll be in the "trunk" area.  I'm looking on google now, but all I see are harnesses for the back seat, or guards that keep them from getting to the front/middle of the SUV.

ETA:  I found one!  http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/12427?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-DogTravelAccessories-_-2011-_-382094&code-macs=MP1WFGL&SourceCode=MP1WFGL&mr:trackingCode=B6A7F6EF-25C3-DF11-A490-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

• I hope you read this. This is what I got for my ACD he is about 50#, but he does well with it. 

http://bebopdogcollarsandleashes.com/secure-fit-safety-harness/

[IMG]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/RaquellaLewis/A9F8E987-B6B0-4664-91B8-4F40A686FD0A-7029-00000541CDFA70C9.jpg"width=175px"[/IMG]
  • We road trip alot with our dog and don't crate or sedate her.  She's usually pretty comfy with her pet blanket (or even just a soft towel) on the backseat.  

We got a collapsible food/water bowl and find that really convenient for quick rest-stop water breaks.  Of course, a regular dish would be fine, but the collapsible one is handy in that you can just roll it up and put it in the seat back netting thing so its not underfoot, which is good when you have a lot of gear/luggage.

Good luck with the move!  

• We did a cross country road trip with our dog this summer. She just hung out in the backset and was fine. Def get a list of pet friendly hotels. Motel 6 allows pets to stay for free, are very common, and decently priced. We just stayed in one in fact for a dog show. Anyhow good luck! Personally I wouldnt bother with a crate for a great dane. It would take up waaay too much room if I were moving.
  • Nothing to add for traveling but in terms of getting a dog license in MI, you should just need a current rabies certificate. They are issued by county but that is true for Washtenaw and Monroe.

Also, since snow is coming, you might want to consider having something to protect paws from salt if you plan to be doing a bunch of walking on sidewalks. 

• We moved our dog from FL to CO and he did great.  We just made sure he had plenty of room to sleep while we were driving.  DH even made him a compartment in the moving truck which he loved.  Just give your boy a place  where he's comfortable and make sure to stop every few hours to let him go to the bathroom and walk around.  He'll do great.

I think the bigger thing to consider is helping him to adapt to your new place.

Good Luck!

• Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!  I think I'll just get her a harness for the car and skip the crate.  Hopefully I get get everything laid out so that she's in the back set area with luggage in the back or vice versa.  I'll start looking up some dog friendly places to stay too.  I'm taking her in next week for all of her shots and such, so that won't be last minute.  She's a trooper in moves (I've moved 5 times with her in the 4 years I've had her...so I think she'll be fine with it.  Thanks again!!

• image startingover2010:

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!  I think I'll just get her a harness for the car and skip the crate.  Hopefully I get get everything laid out so that she's in the back set area with luggage in the back or vice versa.  I'll start looking up some dog friendly places to stay too.  I'm taking her in next week for all of her shots and such, so that won't be last minute.  She's a trooper in moves (I've moved 5 times with her in the 4 years I've had her...so I think she'll be fine with it.  Thanks again!!

I'm a lurker, so I hope the regulars don't mind if I butt in for a sec.  We traveled from Atlanta to Hackensack, MN and back for a vacation two years ago. We had two travel days on each end of the trip.  We have two large dogs >60 lbs.  We actually ended up buying the RoofBag to use on our SUV.  It was amazing!  We fit all our luggage in it so the dogs could have the whole back end of the car.  We had three adults, so they couldn't really use the bench seat like they normally would.  They were able to spread out and lay down for the trip.  I highly recommend the bag.  It rained the whole way up and all of our stuff was bone dry.  It was just nice to be able to let the dogs have plenty of room in the car.  Good luck with your move!

<div align=
  • No advice, but she is just gorgeous!
  • image 92405:
    No advice, but she is just gorgeous!

Thanks!  I thought you would be partial to her!  She's even pretty when she doesn't look drunk, but this pic just makes me giggle.

• image startingover2010:

image stargazertechie:
    I would definitely have a crate or at least a safety-approved car harness so you can buckle in for the long ride. With a ride that long, you definitely want to make sure that everyone's safe!

Do they make a harness that works in the back of an SUV?  She's too big to be in the seats (I have captains chairs, and she's 120 lbs) so she'll be in the "trunk" area.  I'm looking on google now, but all I see are harnesses for the back seat, or guards that keep them from getting to the front/middle of the SUV.

ETA:  I found one!  http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/12427?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-DogTravelAccessories-_-2011-_-382094&code-macs=MP1WFGL&SourceCode=MP1WFGL&mr:trackingCode=B6A7F6EF-25C3-DF11-A490-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

http://www.ruffrider.com/instructions.html

http://usak9outfitters.com/CCSS.htm