Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Moving to the Austin area

My husband and I will be moving to the Austin area after I graduate in December.  He lived in Round Rock for 5 years (works at Dell)...but I am used to a SMALL TOWN.  Haven't ever lived in a big city or very close to a big city.  Also, we won't really know anyone there.  He has a few work buddies but that's it.  Any tips on getting acclimated to a complete change in living?  I hate to admit it but I'm nervous!

Re: Moving to the Austin area

• Hi!

My biggest tip for moving to a new city is to force yourself to get out and meet people. Sure, it can be awkward at first, but it will be well worth it just to get out of the house. 

We have some get togethers for the Nest sometimes, so definitely keep an eye out for posts about those once you move. Look on meetup.com if you haven't already - they have a ton of groups that you could join like book clubs, crafting groups, etc.

• Thanks for the tip!  I've never heard of meetup.com but I'll definitely be checking it out.  I've been to Austin a couple of times and love the city so far!

• I was in the same situation a year ago. My husbanb and I moved here from Louisiana for his job. He already made tons of friends with his work people and I had none : ( The first month was very hard for me but once I started work and got into a routine, the friends just came.  My husband became real good friends with his married buddies at work too and we all started getting together.  A wife and I are now pretty good friends.  We also just moved into a neighborhood where they have block parties once a month. That has helped too.

Just remember to be open minded and always say yes. : )