Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Restaurant recs?

I'm a Colorado nestie who will be in Austin for a conference.  I'll be staying at the Omni.  Any recommendations for a restaurant near there?  Or any other can't miss place?

Thanks!

Re: Restaurant recs?

• What kind of food do you like and how much do you want to spend?
  • I like BBQ and mexican food especially, but anything really. Probably moderately priced since I will have some coworkers who are watching their budgets. Thanks!
  • Close to your hotel (walking distance or grab a pedi cab for a true Austin experience), I'd recommend Iron Works for BBQ.  It's definitely in the cheap-to-moderate price range, but it's great food and you'll feel Austin-y there.  I also like Iron Cactus on 6th for tex-mex when I'm downtown and don't want to drive somewhere.  It's got a cool atmosphere for out-of-towners.  It's not the best food in the whole city, but it's close and combined with the ambiance, it'll be a good spot for you. 

Manuels is more authentic mexican around 3rd/Congress and Z-Tejas is nice on west 6th (but not walking distance).

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Mrs.Purdue:

I also like Iron Cactus on 6th for tex-mex when I'm downtown and don't want to drive somewhere.  It's got a cool atmosphere for out-of-towners.  It's not the best food in the whole city, but it's close and combined with the ambiance, it'll be a good spot for you. 

At the Iron Cactus, you'll want to order the guacamole they make at your table.  It's SO good!

• Eddie V's is really good, but it might push your budget restrictions.

If you're willing to grab a cab, try and make it down to Threadgill's. Or you could go down to some of the food trucks or restaurants on South Congress - Enoteca is one of my favorites.