Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is four dogs too many?

We currently have three dogs - a 13-year-old pomeranian-chihuahua mix, a 12-year-old pug and a 2-year-old Boston Terrier/pug mix. I have always wanted a pug puppy and my husband would like one too. The shelter here just got three. We are both super tempted to put in an application but I am worried that it will  be overwhelming to have four dogs especially when one of them (the 13-year-old) is not exactly the easiest canine to deal with at times. I don't want to neglect any of them, however part of me thinks one more dog wouldn't be too much additional work and the youngest dog does need a friend to play with ibecause the two elderly dogs would rather take a nap than play.

Thoughts? Are we insane, or do you think this might be doable?

Re: Is four dogs too many?

• Honestly only you and DH can decide if it would work for your family. We only have two (pugs) and then foster as well so the most we have is 3. For us that's our max and since we know we always want to foster we know that having two of our own is it. Plenty of other people (lots on this board) have more than 2 or 3 and it works for their families.

How often does the shelter/rescue get pug puppies in? That might sway my decision if I were you. Also, do you know there aren't already people who have been on a waiting list for a puppy? I work in pug rescue and our young ones (under a year) that we get in never make it to our website as we have families that have already been approved, had their home visits done, etc that we know would be perfect and have been waiting for a younger one. You might want to contact the shelter and ask if that sort of thing is the case.

I also want to add that I know how hard it is to resist a puppy pug - they are SO damn cute!!! That's the reason ours are only 10 months apart! Smile We're done at two though, so for now I have to live through everyone else with pug puppies.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image SPK926:
    Honestly only you and DH can decide if it would work for your family. We only have two (pugs) and then foster as well so the most we have is 3. For us that's our max and since we know we always want to foster we know that having two of our own is it. Plenty of other people (lots on this board) have more than 2 or 3 and it works for their families.

How often does the shelter/rescue get pug puppies in? That might sway my decision if I were you. Also, do you know there aren't already people who have been on a waiting list for a puppy? I work in pug rescue and our young ones (under a year) that we get in never make it to our website as we have families that have already been approved, had their home visits done, etc that we know would be perfect and have been waiting for a younger one. You might want to contact the shelter and ask if that sort of thing is the case.

I also want to add that I know how hard it is to resist a puppy pug - they are SO damn cute!!! That's the reason ours are only 10 months apart! Smile We're done at two though, so for now I have to live through everyone else with pug puppies.

The shelter here doesn't have a waiting list and I've been stalking petfinder for about a year now. This is the first time that pug puppies have come up during that time period. Unfortunately, our pug rescue here is disbanded so I can't even try to get on a list with them. =(

Resistance to a pug is pretty futile for me and my family too. My mom has two pugs and my brother has one as well. Our elderly pug is spoiled rotten and the pug mix doesn't have it too bad either.

• We have four dogs (they are elderly). The main issue is the expense...i.e. dogs get old and thus their costs rise. We also spend quite a bit on frontline and heartworm medication. It works for us though financially ~ I REALLY price shop when it comes to those things and dog food as well.

You also have to take into account that when you have elderly dogs, they also have more problems. I have a collie who is bowel incontinent and has arthritis...so he can be quite a bit of work...and he is just one dog. 

With the two human kids in addition, our house can get busy & crazy...but I wouldn't want it any other way!

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • My ILs have 4 JRTs. Crazy? Yes. One of them has diabetes, another is deaf, another has resource guarding issues & the other is pretty normal in comparison. They are a lot of work & a lot of $$.
    If they have to board the dogs when they go away, it usually costs more than their own hotel stay.
    4 would be too many for me, but to each their own.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Most shelters require you to have your current dogs meet and get along with the new dog. Weird IMO, but if they hate each other at first sight, they wont let you adopt.