Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

advice - temporarily taking coworkers dog b/c of divorce ?

my coworker is in the middle of a divorce -- she moved out of the house and found the only place that she could afford that will do a short term lease ( 6 months ) unfortunately the place is no pets -- she has a two year old chocolate Lab, named Luke that she left at her house with her soon to be ex husband.  she sees the dog every other week mainly because she really doesn't want to see her husband. 

coworker got a message the other day from her husband that basically said " you need to get your dog or I will take him to the pound " CW husband travels a lot and doesn't really feel like " making " time for Luke 

she approached me today and asked if DH and I would be willing/able to take Luke on a short term basis ( she is moving to an animal friendly place in April 2012 ) -- space wise, we can make it work, financially, she will give us money for his food ( Avoderm sensitive stomach stuff ), vet treatment etc

if this was your situation - would you do it - reasons why or why not ? I can't stand the thought of the dog going to the pound -- coworker doesn't have anyone else that she would trust taking care of Luke and I think is using us as a last resort to avoid the pound. 

Re: advice - temporarily taking coworkers dog b/c of divorce ?

• If you guys can make it work, space- and time-wise and you think she'll follow through with her end of the deal (paying for food/vet treatment, moving to the animal friendly apt in April)...I would do it.  Like you, I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of him going to the pound.  Do you know anything about his personality/behavior?
  • image OSULori:
    Do you know anything about his personality/behavior?

he is neutered, house trained and knows basic commands ( sit/stay/shake/down/come/leave it )

we would do an overnight/long weekend a few times to see how they interact

• Under different circumstances, I took in a friends dog, supposedly temporarily. Friend was living with his parents, his dog was fighting with his parents' dog. He asked me to take her until he got his own place. 

Long story short, she's now mine.

Are you 100% positive this co-worker will take the dog back when she's able, and if she doesn't, are you OK with that?  

• I don't think I could say no in that situation.  :(
  • image RedheadBaker:

Under different circumstances, I took in a friends dog, supposedly temporarily. Friend was living with his parents, his dog was fighting with his parents' dog. He asked me to take her until he got his own place. 

Are you 100% positive this co-worker will take the dog back when she's able, and if she doesn't, are you OK with that?  

Same thing happened to me. My niece was ending a relationship with an ex and asked me to watch her cat for 2-3 months, at the most, until she could find her own place. She promised to pay for food/medical/litter. She was in tears, begging me to help, that I was her last resort...blah, blah, blah. She never gave me a dime and never took him back. Oh...and she failed to mention the cat was BSC (which is why no one else would take the cat in).  That was 6 years ago. He's the black cat in my photos.

Your co-worker might have every intention of taking the dog back, but the fact she only bothers to see him every other week now (regardless of how she feels about seeing her ex) makes me wonder just how dedicated she is to this dog.

image image image
  • image Cee4290:
    image RedheadBaker:

Under different circumstances, I took in a friends dog, supposedly temporarily. Friend was living with his parents, his dog was fighting with his parents' dog. He asked me to take her until he got his own place. 

Same thing happened to me. My niece was ending a relationship with an ex and asked me to watch her cat for 2-3 months, at the most, until she could find her own place. She promised to pay for food/medical/litter. She was in tears, begging me to help, that I was her last resort...blah, blah, blah. She never gave me a dime and never took him back. Oh...and she failed to mention the cat was BSC (which is why no one else would take the cat in).  That was 6 years ago. He's the black cat in my photos.

Your co-worker might have every intention of taking the dog back, but the fact she only bothers to see him every other week now (regardless of how she feels about seeing her ex) makes me wonder just how dedicated she is to this dog.

we are okay with having " another " dog if thats what it comes to, though I really hope it doesn't - just because Luke should be with his mother.  we plan on moving to a larger house and piece of land in the next 12 - 18 months anyways.

if we do decide to take him, I think we would get everything in writing just in case anything ever happens, plus my lawyer dad recommends it.

I know she doesn't see him but every other week but its as often as she can in the situation she is in, I guess every other week is better than none.

• I would get something in writing, and explain that it's to protect both of you and Luke. If something should happen to her, she knows Luke will be safe with you and won't go back to her ex.

It sounds like he's a good dog. I'd help her out.

• I watched a friend's cat under a similar circumstance.  It was okay but there were issues with $ for food and vet needs.  I would insist she bring you food well before you run out.  And make sure she's willing to provide appropriate vet care -- when you think it is appropriate, not just when she does. 

• image RedheadBaker:

I'd have a hard time saying no, but I would be absolutely sure you're ok with adding this dog to your family permanently. I think people sometimes have the best intentions, but they don't follow through.