Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Please help!! New and Old Dogs

Hi ladies, About a month ago we adopted an American Bull Dog mix from the humane society. We already had a 7year old long haired chihuahua. The chi hates the new dog, it is so tense in the house now. I think she dislikes him because when he wants to play he pounces towards her and on her. What can I do?

Thanks! 

Re: Please help!! New and Old Dogs

• Does she have a place she can go to escape him if she needs her space? I think one of those baby gates with the smaller cat-size opening at the bottom might work well for those two if the bull dog mix is on the bigger side. It really can take months for dogs to really get used to each other, but it does get better!
    image image
  • Did the two dogs meet prior to the adoption? How did you do the initial introductions when you brought the bulldog home? 
  • Baby gates are your friend.  We got three or four $10 gates from Target when we adopted dog #2 and they were a godsend for when the dogs needed some quiet time separate from one another or Eddie was being a punk and needed a time out.  It's been a little over a year now and we haven't had to separate them in at least six months, maybe more.  Good luck!
  • Thank you so much. I will look into the baby gates, The introduction was not the best since it was not in a neutral location. I appreciate the help!