Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Quick question about cat foaming at mouth

I just brought home two new foster cats.  Both are adults.

One has crystals in his bladder.  He's on special SD food to help dissolve them so he hopefully won't need surgery.  I was given strict instructions to ensure he eats no food other than his prescription food.  No problem!  

Well, here's where I goofed I guess.  I put some cat nip on the kitty condo I bought for him.  He ate it and started foaming like crazy.  I cleaned him up and immediately vacuumed up all catnip on the condo.  It only lasted about 30 seconds, and he's acting fine.  I read online that I shouldn't be concerned as long as it lasted no longer than about 30 seconds, and was clearly the result of some mouth irritation.  I keep thinking, "duh, I should have thought about him eating catnip," but it's so routine for my other cats to get catnip on their condos, that I didn't even think about it.  Time to be more careful.

If any of you ladies have had cats on this special SD prescription food (feline Dissolution?), are there any other things that I need to be careful not to do with him?  I'm assuming the diet may be a cause for the foaming - or perhaps he just didn't like the catnip!  Thanks! 

Visit The Nest!

Re: Quick question about cat foaming at mouth

• Catnip causes my SILs cat to foamy drool. I bet that was all it was. They get a type of high almost from the catnip. It isn't harmful that I know of.
    Lola the amazing erythrocyte factory!!
    [IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af289/HollyWalter/Lola1-2-2.jpg[/IMG]
    I make things happen at
    www.penelopelaneclothing.com