Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

help, cat with fleas and ticks

we put the medicine on our cat last week for fleas/ticks but he has some on his face anyway. is it ok to bath him in flea/tick shampoo and add a flea/tick collar to tide us over until dh can reapply meds in three weeks.

i think did it wrong this month since it usually works. but afraid to redo since you can only do once a month. help pls. dont want to harm milo.

thx 

CJ :-)

Re: help, cat with fleas and ticks

• Does the cat have ticks on his face as well as fleas?

I would pick up food grade diatomaceous earth and rub it through his coat from the neck down.

Are you letting Milo outside? 

image image
  • Yes, I found one tick on face. And yes he is an outside cat. usually the monthly drops are enough but it didnt seem to work or something
  • Is the tick still on his face?

Why would you not keep him inside?

ETA: Please check this link out http://fly.hiwaay.net/~keiper/indoors.htm

image image
  • no, i removed tick. 

i wanted him to be an inside cat but it is just not possible with two small children to keep him inside. with the kids running in and out all summer he just runs out. in the winter he mostly stays in. it is easier to control since door is always closed and kids are inside unless they bundle up so we can close him in our room until they are out.

milo loves being outside and is very good at getting out. we take the precautions and have him vaccinated on regular schedule and the flea/tick meds have always worked until recently.  

• image cjcouple:

no, i removed tick. 

i wanted him to be an inside cat but it is just not possible with two small children to keep him inside. with the kids running in and out all summer he just runs out. in the winter he mostly stays in. it is easier to control since door is always closed and kids are inside unless they bundle up so we can close him in our room until they are out.

milo loves being outside and is very good at getting out. we take the precautions and have him vaccinated on regular schedule and the flea/tick meds have always worked until recently.  

Plenty of women on this board have children and indoor-only cats. I am sure they would be willing to help brainstorm ways to keep Milo indoors.

Just because he loves being outside doesn't mean that's what's safest for him. 

image image
  •  Keep your cat inside. Yes, it's HARD with young kids, but it can be done. Do you have screen (storm) doors? I know that having that 2nd door usually kept the cats inside when I was growing up. 

You say you don't want to do anything (flea & tick-wise) that would hurt your cat, but you're putting him in imminent danger every time you let him outside. 

I also wouldn't use flea/tick shampoo, nor would I use a flea collar- especially not the Hartz products, which are known to kill animals even with just one dose. 

Try giving him a bath tomorrow using original Dawn dish detergent. Lather him up, let the dish soap sit on him for 5 minutes, and then rinse well. 

• Thanks for the dawn tip.

no, i do not have storm doors unfortunately. milo is incredibly smart. he runs out when we are coming in. he hears the keys and always gets through our legs. any tips? 

• image cjcouple:

Thanks for the dawn tip.

no, i do not have storm doors unfortunately. milo is incredibly smart. he runs out when we are coming in. he hears the keys and always gets through our legs. any tips? 

1) Keep a squirt bottle of water by the door (inside and out). Squirt him when he gets too close.

2) Fill an empty pop can with 10 pennies or so, and tape the top shut. When you're in the house and he gets too close to the door, throw the can near (not at!) him. The noise should startle him, and eventually he'll associate door=scary noisy place with water squirts!