Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone use non-clay litter?

We have a litter box in the laundry room and the cats are always tracking litter into the hallway.  The other litter boxes are on carpet so while I know they track litter on the carpet, at least I can't see it Indifferent

I want to switch that litter box to another type of litter, any suggestions?

Re: Anyone use non-clay litter?

• I've been using the Breeze Cat litter system for about 6 months now, and am really happy with it. More importantly, two of my three kitties are happy with it also. My third cat, Fred, will only poop in it, but chooses to pee in the bathtub (I made the switch from clay right around when his bladder issues began, and the vet thinks he associates this new litter with his painful peeing issues).

The pellets still get all over the floor, and hurt like anything when you step on them with your bare feet, but sweep up much more easily than clay.

I order the supplies in bulk from Amazon (super expensive at brick stores) and the cost is comparable to clay litter.

If you don't want to go to the expense of starting a new little system (must use a special cat box), when I lived in the house and used a clay litter, I put a half round carpeted floor mat just outside the laundry room door to keep the clay from tracking through the house.

image image image
  • More for the environmental/natural reason than the tracking, we switched from clay to corn litter. I LOVE the way it clumps so much more than clay. That cats still track it, but I have 2 little litter mats (just picked them up at Target/PetSmart) that help catch the majority of it. I just vacuum the mats each week (or at least I try to vacuum them that often, lol).

I will say, Sammy is some sort of freak, I swear. There are times she comes out from using the box and it looks like she planted her face in the litter, because she'll have this fine yellow corn dusting like a mask across her face. LOL! It stands out on her feet too. It's just the very fine dust that adheres to her fur, and it probably stands out because she's black. I never notice it on Scamp. Maybe Sammy just loves the litter so much she needs to get it all over her...who knows!

image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • We use Feline Pine pellets and love it. A 40 pound bag lasts us 2 months or more (we have four cats). 

A thin layer of pellets goes a long way and the pellets puff up and turn to dust when they are wet.

We don't have much of a problem with tracking. 

image image
  • image Cee4290:

I've been using the Breeze Cat litter system for about 6 months now, and am really happy with it. More importantly, two of my three kitties are happy with it also. My third cat, Fred, will only poop in it, but chooses to pee in the bathtub (I made the switch from clay right around when his bladder issues began, and the vet thinks he associates this new litter with his painful peeing issues).

The pellets still get all over the floor, and hurt like anything when you step on them with your bare feet, but sweep up much more easily than clay.

I order the supplies in bulk from Amazon (super expensive at brick stores) and the cost is comparable to clay litter.

If you don't want to go to the expense of starting a new little system (must use a special cat box), when I lived in the house and used a clay litter, I put a half round carpeted floor mat just outside the laundry room door to keep the clay from tracking through the house.

I second the Breeze recommendation, I love it and both my cats have no problem with it. It really doesn't smell, and the pellets don't make it very far- only if your cat violently kicks to cover their business, haha.  

• We also use Feline Pine and the tracking is very minimal compared to when we used clay clumping litter. I hear it helps if you have a scooper specific to pine litter so that the pine litter will fall through so you only get the poop, but I dont have one of those.