Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Book Club--vote again

Here are the top two books from yesterday. ?In addition to voting in this run-off election, please reply with why you favor that book over the other so that we can come to a decision together.?[Poll]

Re: Book Club--vote again

• I voted for FDR's Folly because I just read Under the Banner of Heaven a few months ago.

Additionally, with the current state of the market, I can't think of a better time to take a look at the New Deal.?

• I looked at the other books purchased by people who read FDR's Folly--one was Jonah Goldberg! ?I'm all for differing perspective, but I'm afraid the lovers of FDR's Folly are Freepers. ?I think we should start out with something really page turner-y, instead of something that is probably quite dry. ?That's why I voted for Under the Banner of Heaven.
    Well, that would be telling

[url]http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9786320[/url]
  • I voted FDR's Folly...  I read Under the Banner two years ago and I am not ready to try reading it again.
    Lori, mom to Avery born 4.3.07
    my read shelf:
    Lori's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I voted for Under the Banner of Heaven just because it's been on my to read list for a very long time. Really, I wouldn't mind reading either of them.
    Slainte!
    my read shelf:
    Jenni (jenniloveselvis)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Seriously--American Fascism is also a book read by those who read FDR's Folly. ?Shall we read Michael Moore next?
    Well, that would be telling

[url]http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9786320[/url]
  • I voted for FDR's Folly because I feel it will be applicable to current events.

I'm also curious because either John Stossel or one of his fans recommended it (can't remember if it was in the blog post or comments section, but it caught my eye).

• I think we should read FDR's Folly, if and only if we immediately follow it with some counter-programming... something that is less FR-ish, that is about how FDR actually saved this country.

...maybe some Thom Hartmann:

http://www.amazon.com/Unequal-Protection-Corporate-Dominance-Rights/dp/1579549551/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226588992&sr=1-6

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • I voted for Under the Banner of Heaven, only because I have absolutely no interest in reading FDR's Folly. I'll give it a shot, and I might surprise myself, but it really seems NMS.

• I was originally leaning toward FDRs Folly, but I chose Under the Banner of Heaven.  I think UTBH might be a little bit of an easier read - which may be better for the inaugural book of our club.
  • image Elizabeth81:

I voted for Under the Banner of Heaven, only because I have absolutely no interest in reading FDR's Folly. I'll give it a shot, and I might surprise myself, but it really seems NMS.

Agreed. And I noticed that people who read FDR's Folly also read Bob Novak's book "Prince of Darkness." Yuck. I seriously question anyone who wants to associate with journalism's #1 douchebag. YMMV.

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/mmootd/olivertwist.jpg[/IMG]

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • I vote for FDR's folly - I think a good healthy economic discussion would benefit everyone.
  • Are these our only choices? I'd be very interested in reading something more economically-focused but I'm not so sure about FDR's Folly.

I have no interest in spending my free time filling my mind with the hate of religious fanatics so I won't be participating if that is the choice.

• I guess I missed the first round of voting. ?

Gotta say, neither of the books sounds interesting to me. ?:(

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • I voted for Under the Banner of Heaven. I think it is a better first choice--an easier read. I actually voted for Infidel in the first round of voting for the same reason.
  • I think it's timely, given the economy.

ETA: I voted for Folly.?

• I voted for Under the Banner because it's been on my list for awhile and it's more appealing to me.
  •  

image Rikkilee3:

I think it's timely, given the economy.

ETA: I voted for Folly. 

Ditto.

• Just so you guys know the Nest Book Club is reading Under the Banner of Heaven for our November selection.  The discussion is usually the 4th week of the month and sort of takes place all week long, though normally must of the discussion is in the first few days.  We would be happy to have you all join us!
    imageimageimage