Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Menu Thoughts and/or Suggestions

I'm working on the menu for DS's 3rd birthday in 2 weeks. We're having pizza party during the football game. Would love to get some feedback on the menu thus far:

Cocktails:

?        Wine

?        Beer

?        Soda

Appetizers:

?        Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

?        Oven Toasted Ravioli with Marinara

?        Bruschetta

?        Anti-Pasti Platter

?        Giardiniera

Main:

?        Salad

?        Pizza

?        Garlic Bread

Dessert:

?        Fruit

?        Ice Cream

?        Cupcakes (flavor TBD)

Re: Menu Thoughts and/or Suggestions

• Can I tell you I laughed out loud that the first thing on the list for a 3 yo's bday party is alcohol?

The apps list seems quite extensive for a football game where people are going to be snacking on chips & dip all afternoon already.  Or do you intend to not have out football snacks and have out the apps?  Will the guys watching the game be happy with those foods?  

Are you intentionally doing an Italian-themed menu?  If not, the apps list is repetitive.  I'd replace an item or two with egg rolls or pita & hummus or taquitos, something to change it up a bit.  Italian's good, but the majority of the menu will have the same Italian herbs flavors.

• It's definitely themed on purpose and these will be the only items served. As for the wine and beer, DS is 3, but the rest of us are over 21. Wink  
  • I think you could x the bruschetta- its very similar to the toasted ravioli.  You could do triscuits/ pita chips with a roasted red pepper dip.

Also- I feel that you need something non-alcoholic besides soda.  Maybe ice tea?  And water of course. 

Favorite Flower

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/24g24xe.jpg[/IMG]
  • I like having "themed" meals.  Like, adding nachos would totally throw it off, so I like that part of it.  I'm guessing its an adult gtg and just your child, so if thats the case, it looks good to me.  Even if there are other kids, the pizza & cupcakes will take care of that.  I would definitely add another drink option.  If there are more kids, maybe juice boxes, iced tea or lemonade.
  • image erosa:
    I like having "themed" meals.  Like, adding nachos would totally throw it off, so I like that part of it.  I'm guessing its an adult gtg and just your child, so if thats the case, it looks good to me.  Even if there are other kids, the pizza & cupcakes will take care of that.  I would definitely add another drink option.  If there are more kids, maybe juice boxes, iced tea or lemonade.

The only other kid would be my 1 yo nephew, and, with a 3 yo in the house, we always have milk and apple juice. Smile ALWAYS have apple juice!  

• I'm just curious, your linked anti-pasti platter has brushetta and pickled veg on it.  do you really need the separate bruschetta and giardiniera? 

I'd also consider nixing the fruit.  Do people really consider fruit a dessert?  Especially at a party?  If your crowd is into it go for it.  I just know mine wouldn't be into it.

Agree to add an iced tea.  It's simple and cheap.

• One other thing because my parties tend to last forever.  I always have some nuts and chex mix on hand to snack on AFTER cake and ice cream.  I always put on a coffee too. 
  • image 6fsn:

I'm just curious, your linked anti-pasti platter has brushetta and pickled veg on it.  do you really need the separate bruschetta and giardiniera? 

- It's not so much that they'll be separate as I'll be making them from scratch.  

I'd also consider nixing the fruit.  Do people really consider fruit a dessert?  Especially at a party?  If your crowd is into it go for it.  I just know mine wouldn't be into it.

- Good point. I'll see how things are going closer to. Worst case, it's fruit for the 2 toddlers to snack on, which is always nice.  

Agree to add an iced tea.  It's simple and cheap.

- Not a bad idea, I just know no one will drink it. 

• I do see a 'theme' here and it's great..... however, there are a lot of carbs with the pasta, breads, bruschetta,etc...  maybe if you replace one of those with wings or meatballs, it would be a bit more balanced (and easier to prepare)?  that's just my opinion..