Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How do you feel about gay protests in churches?

This happened in my church on last Sunday. A group of gay rights supporters interrupted the Sunday morning service by standing up during the service and chanting, throwing out pamplets, unfurling banners etc.

They were very rude and unruly. I don't think they helped their cause any by acting this way. My state didn't even have a gay marriage prop on its ballot.

I'm not sure what message they were trying to get across, but it seemed extremely out of place at that time.

Re: How do you feel about gay protests in churches?

• I think that was in poor taste.  There was no reason why they could not have protested OUTSIDE THE CHURCH after services?
    Seriously, people. If your faith in humanity is destroyed because your parents told you there was a Santa Claus and as it turns out there is no Santa Claus, you are an ignorant, hypersensitive cry baby with absolutely zero perspective. - UnderwaterRhymes
  • That seems... odd...  Is your church openly against homosexuality?

A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • if they're members it's one thing, but to go into a church that you don't belong to and do that is not cool.
    proof that i make babies. jack, grace, and ben, in no particular order
    image image image
  • That's very strange.
  • What was your minister talking about when they started to protest?  And is your church actively campaigning or speaking out against homosexuality or marriages?

I agree that it wasn't appropriate, but there might be mitigating factors here that may make it more understandable.

• I think it's rude and tasteless.  Perhaps if they were members of your church...but I think protesting quietly outside would actually make more of an impact.
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/in4tofau9.png[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/7/71kdg0nzi.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • They were not members of the church. They told the newspapers they were members of a group called Bash Back. I think it is interesting that they called the newspaper, not the church. The church even declined to press charges.

They were chanting things and shouting just to disturb the services. It was really hard to tell what they were saying. In the paper they said they were chanting "It's okay to be gay".

My church is probably not a supporter of gay marriage, but they have not been vocal about the cause at all. My church says little about public issues.

• I'd laugh my ass off if they protested at my church.  More like than not the pastor would get up and start protesting with them.

I wonder if they did any sort of research at all.

A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • Wow, I'd be annoyed.  I'm a church-going supporter of gay rights, and would never dream of protesting during the service.  That's sacred time. 
  • image kbmom:

They were not members of the church. They told the newspapers they were members of a group called Bash Back. I think it is interesting that they called the newspaper, not the church. The church even declined to press charges.

They were chanting things and shouting just to disturb the services. It was really hard to tell what they were saying. In the paper they said they were chanting "It's okay to be gay".

My church is probably not a supporter of gay marriage, but they have not been vocal about the cause at all. My church says little about public issues.

You don't go to an LDS church, do you?

I could see myself protesting outside a church that funded the yes-on-Prop 8 campaign, but I would never disrupt the services to do so. That's just flat-out rude.

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/mmootd/olivertwist.jpg[/IMG]

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • No, it is not a LDS church and had nothing to do with prop 8.
  • Eek! I posted and didn't realized they were gay right supporters! Doh!

Edited to delete my comment ... My brain is fried this afternoon ...

image "There's a very simple test to see if something is racist. Just go to a heavily populated black area, and do the thing that you think isn't racist, and see if you live through it." ~ Reeve on the Clearly Racist Re-Nig Bumper Sticker and its Creator.
  • That's just weird. However, if there were other mitigating circumstances like ESF mentioned, I could see it.

• OK, that is totally ridiculous and completely uncalled for.

I had assumed these were regular congregants reacting to something.  Which wouldn't make it ok, but more understandable.

This is just wrong.  Incredibly counterproductive and just cruel.  Let people worship in peace.

• I forgot to mention that they pulled all the fire alarms too. It was a real mess.
  • image kbmom:
    I forgot to mention that they pulled all the fire alarms too. It was a real mess.

WTF is wrong with people? And isn't it a crime to pull fire alarms without a reasonable belief of fire?

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/mmootd/olivertwist.jpg[/IMG]

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • In?a church?
    I don't think that's appropriate.
    Further, I don't think it's particularly effective either.
  • Sounds like they took a page out of PETA's book in the do-whatever-gets-attention-no-matter-how-much-it-hurts-the-cause department.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Inappropriate inside any church. They can stand outside on public property and protest all they want.
  • Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. ?And completely ineffective. ?I can understand people trying to make the point of what it feels like to have a church come into your sacred space (your marriage and home) and terrorize it, but I just don't think that message comes through. ?Instead, they look like asses who incidentally are breaking the law.
  • I don't think that's useful or respectful.

• image lyssbobiss:

It's about as effective as people bombing abortion clinics, meaning, it's mot.

Uh, really??? 

Unfurling a banner in a church is the same as bombing and killing people??? 

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • image manatee21:
    image lyssbobiss:

It's about as effective as people bombing abortion clinics, meaning, it's mot.

Uh, really??? 

Unfurling a banner in a church is the same as bombing and killing people??? 

She didn't say it was the same thing-- she said it was just as ineffective. IE, both actions are ineffective.

• I agree with everyone. Inappropriate and rude, not to mention counterproductive.?
    "I