Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone watch Take the Money and Run?

H and I keep saying we would be awesome at this show, so there has to be some rules we aren't aware of.  For instance, the 2 episodes I've seen the people always panic about the plan as soon as the get the briefcase.  Why wouldn't you have this all nailed down before you are even on the show?

Both times the teams immediately also called several people -- friends, family.  Why would you call anyone and give the cops anything to go on?

Then the most annoying part to me is the interrogation.  Both times now one team member has either completely brokedown or flat our told the detectives where they hid the case.  WHY??  All you have to do is lie about everything and sit in a cell for 48 hours.  You can't do that for $100k?  I realize being interrogated could be intimidating, but you didn't do anything wrong!!

In both episodes I've seen, the only reason the cops found the case is because the teams told them where it was.
I saw a Spanish guy doing the Bartman.

Re: Anyone watch Take the Money and Run?

• I hope to see more comments from other people about this because I feel the exact same way you do...I can't even watch the show anymore due to this...The first episode when the guy broke down crying was ridiculous...I was yelling at the TV "what an idiot...suck it up!!!!".  There has to be more to it behind the scenes that we don't see...

ETA: Also, can you separate?  I told DH I would have him drive around while I hid the briefcase then they would have nothing to go on at all...but maybe you have to stay together.  They should state the rules to the viewer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image wannabemomma:

I hope to see more comments from other people about this because I feel the exact same way you do...I can't even watch the show anymore due to this...The first episode when the guy broke down crying was ridiculous...I was yelling at the TV "what an idiot...suck it up!!!!".  There has to be more to it behind the scenes that we don't see...

ETA: Also, can you separate?  I told DH I would have him drive around while I hid the briefcase then they would have nothing to go on at all...but maybe you have to stay together.  They should state the rules to the viewer.

I said the same thing!  We assumed you couldn't separate. 
    I saw a Spanish guy doing the Bartman.
  • My husband and I don't get this show. We say the same thing- talk to no one- hide the money and just keep your mouth shut for the 48 hours. There must be something we don't know.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We love the show.  I read the rules online.  I can't remember them all but the highlights are: You must stay together.  You cannot be separated during the hour you are supposed to be hiding the case.  I think the one person has they key to the handcuff to get the case off and the other has the case.  Also, you MUST participate in the interrogation.  You have to answer the questions but you don't have to be honest.  You cannot speak another language or speak gibberish. 

I think these people break because they are in jail and that is tough even if it's only 48 hours.  They are being denied normal food.  In the last episode we saw, the meal was beans for BLD.  YUCK!!  Also, I saw the one interrogator take his toothbrush/paste and his book. 

The interrogators are professional and totally know what they are doing.  We only see a bit of what they are doing.   They have access to all phone records and GPS records from the car.  So they know the route the people took to hide the briefcase and can see any places that really stand out.

• Ugh. DH and I are always screaming the exact same thing! Seriously, you can't just hang out in jail for 48hrs for 100K. I'm sure the interogation is tough and the cell is cramped and the food is horrible and it's super boring, but I don't think for a second I would crack. Come on people. You aren't really in jail. Confused

Also, the interrogators on this show are horrible. We've watched every episode so far, and they are always totally off base. The try to make these assumptions about who is the dominant one, what the plan was, where the hid it, and they're always totally wrong. The only reason they've solved any of the cases is because someone cracked. Once the man said "that's the most honest answer I've heard in 20 years" and the guy was flat out lying. It was pretty hilarious. I'm sure it's easier to be a interrogator on a real case, though.

• image Diamond_Doll:

Also, the interrogators on this show are horrible. We've watched every episode so far, and they are always totally off base. The try to make these assumptions about who is the dominant one, what the plan was, where the hid it, and they're always totally wrong. The only reason they've solved any of the cases is because someone cracked. Once the man said "that's the most honest answer I've heard in 20 years" and the guy was flat out lying. It was pretty hilarious. I'm sure it's easier to be a interrogator on a real case, though.

I only saw the first episode so far, but I would assume this has to be part of the interrogation tactic, no?  to let the "suspect" think that they're getting away with things.  I'd think that if they walked in the room and let people know that they could tell if/when they're lying that the person will be more on guard.

Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image Nova726:
    image Diamond_Doll:

I only saw the first episode so far, but I would assume this has to be part of the interrogation tactic, no?  to let the "suspect" think that they're getting away with things.  I'd think that if they walked in the room and let people know that they could tell if/when they're lying that the person will be more on guard.

No, I don't mean during the interrogation. I mean when they're talking to each other or when they're doing interviews with the cameras. They're always dead wrong.

• The rules state that folks have to stay together, they have to either walk or use the car as their means of transportation, they have to keep reciepts from every purchase, and that they can use a pay phone.  Contestants can lie, but they can't give nonsensical answers ("I took a rocket ship and the case is on the moon.").  The briefcase has to be accessible 24 hours a day.

This show is horrible.  Here's why:

The interrogators do all the heavy lifting and the cops basically run around doing pointless errands until the interrogators tell them where the case is.  Cops find the case and get the money. 

If the contestants call someone and make them call people for them, there's no trace of their connection with them.

Why do random people that the contestants contact have to interact with the police officers?  If a cop calls a contestant's sister or whatever, why does she have to remain on the line with them?  If a cop comes to a someone's house to look inside for the briefcase, why do they have to let them in?  Why can't they say "it's not here.  You cannot come in."  I'm assuming that they can't because if they refuse entry, then the briefcase isn't "accessible".  So does that mean that cops and a camera crew could walk into any "suspected" person's house?  That's insane.

I'm not convinced that the people that signed up for this show knew what they were in for.  That or the producers chose people that would be easily broken.  Of course it's easy to say that they should just wait it out, but I'm pretty sure being in solitary confinement is more tough than most of us think. 

Who is the audience supposed to root for?  The contestants or the cops?  Does it matter? 

The odds are in favor of the contestants.  Think of a person who lives in a decent driving radius of the drop off point.  Call someone to 3-way the person to confirm that you can drop off briefcase.  Park near person's house and walk five blocks to drop off briefcase.   Return to car.  If someone did this, they would win.  But that wouldn't be good tv, so they have to get Bish and Mary to manipulate and use real interrogation techniques to get them to break.

Do we really want to see normal people being psychologically tortured for the sake of a  television show?  I've read that one of the contestants was vomitting and needed medical attention.  Another one was so disturbed that they had to have actual police officers standing by so that he wouldn't physically assault someone.  (If you don't remember the psychological implications of being held as a prisoner from your Psych 101 class google Philip Zimbardo Stanford Prison Experiment.) Are we supposed to chuckle with glee when we hear about how Bish and Mary are feeding people beans 24/7 to disorient them and making sure to place larger people on stools so they are at a physical disadvantage?   Are we supposed to be impressed by their craftiness or should we be horrified at their manipulation of people who aren't actually criminials? 

• DH and I watched once.  Interesting premise but we didn't like the show at all. No