Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

hairless dog for the Obamas!

Um, thanks but no thanks, Peru?

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE4AA3WL20081111?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews

Photo
drawControls();

LIMA (Reuters) - Peruvians crazy about their national dog, a bald and often toothless breed popular among Incan kings, offered Monday to send a hypoallergenic puppy to the Obama family.

U.S. President-elect Barack Obama has promised daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, a new pet for the White House. But Malia is allergic to most breeds, he said Friday as speculation swirled about the dog the family would choose.

Owners of the Peruvian Hairless Dog, a breed dating back 3,000 years and depicted in pre-Hispanic ceramics, say it is perfect for kids who are sensitive to dogs.

"They do not cause any type of allergy and are very friendly and sweet," said Claudia Galvez, 38, director of the Friends of the Peruvian Hairless Dog Association.

"We want to give a male puppy to Obama's daughters, so they get to experience all the joys of having a dog but without any allergies."

According to Peruvian folklore, the dogs have above-average body temperature, which compensates for their lack of hair and helps alleviate symptoms of asthma or arthritis suffered by their owners.

Galvez delivered a letter detailing her offer to the U.S. embassy in Lima Monday and hopes Obama will accept it.

Galvez has a 4-month-old pedigree puppy to send to the Obama family. For now, she is calling it Ears because it has two large, perky ones.

"But if we send it to the United States, its official name will be Machu Picchu," she said, referring to the ancient Incan citadel, Peru's top tourist attraction.

Re: hairless dog for the Obamas!

• Yeah, part of the whole idea of a president getting a dog is that it's cute and humanizing. That poor ugly thing wouldn't do anything for his image.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's kind of cute, kind of horrible.

Hard to say...

Well, that would be telling

[url]http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9786320[/url]
  • Oh dear...this is classic.

Now, how does one turn this gift down without offending the people of Peru?

And are these those dogs you always see winning the "Ugliest Dog" contests?

I'm wondering at what point the Obamas are going to regret putting the dog thing out there, lol...next thing you know, China offers a shar-pei or something. The Germans want to send over a German Shepherd or Doberman Pinscher; the French send a poodle....

(btw--I'm sorry if my lame attempt at humor has mixed up these countries of origin of the above breeds...)

• It's cuter than I expected for a hairless dog.  Have you ever seen the breed of hairless cat?  :: shudder::

• Oh my, that dog is so ugly it's actually cute. 

Umwife does point out the dilemma that the Obamas face.  How the heck do you politely turn down a gift like this?

• image umwife11:

Oh dear...this is classic.

Now, how does one turn this gift down without offending the people of Peru?

He has to say he is going to be a patriot and get a dog native to the what is now the US, are there any? The American Bull dog?

• My littlest iggie has similar ears. They're a bit smaller, but sometimes they stand straight up just like that. Actually that breed looks very much like a hairless version of an Italian Greyhound, but with larger ears and a cropped tail*.

*cropping tails breaks my heart, even though I know it sometimes is necessary

eta: or like a hairless min pin!

• I agree he can get out of this sticky situation by saying he just needs a good ol' American breed since he's prez.  Isn't a labradoodle American?  They're hypoallergenic - waaaay cuter, too. 

• I know some hairless dogs...and after you get over the initial reaction they grow on you, really!

I really hope they stick with their idea of rescuing a dog though.

• image berry25:

I agree he can get out of this sticky situation by saying he just needs a good ol' American breed since he's prez.  Isn't a labradoodle American?  They're hypoallergenic - waaaay cuter, too. 

Aren't labradoodles considered those fancy designer breeds that cost many, many dollars...

Then the family faces that whole, "should have gotten a rescue" backlash. (Unless they can find a labradoodle rescue group...which would be probably ideal, right?)

See what I mean? Sticky situation for the whole family, lol.

• image umwife11:
    image berry25:

I agree he can get out of this sticky situation by saying he just needs a good ol' American breed since he's prez.  Isn't a labradoodle American?  They're hypoallergenic - waaaay cuter, too. 

Aren't labradoodles considered those fancy designer breeds that cost many, many dollars...

Then the family faces that whole, "should have gotten a rescue" backlash. (Unless they can find a labradoodle rescue group...which would be probably ideal, right?)

See what I mean? Sticky situation for the whole family, lol.

Perhaps one of his supporter should buy a Labradoodle and donate it to a rescue and then he can go buy it? (I kid....)

• There are tons of all sorts of doodle dogs in shelters, as well as purebreds.

I'd hate to see a designer breed as their choice though.

• Awww, I think its cute. Look at those EARS!   But toothless too? How does it eat?
  • Carolina, my hairless cat is fantastic!  See siggy.  :)

She has the best personality of any cat I've ever met. 

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • image Skatcat:
    Awww, I think its cute. Look at those EARS!   But toothless too? How does it eat?

At least it couldn't bite the press corps like the current White House dog, right?  Wink

• image manatee21:

Carolina, my hairless cat is fantastic!  See siggy.  :)

She has the best personality of any cat I've ever met. 

Did you watch Friends? "It's not a cat!!" keeps running through my head when I look at your siggy...

• Couldn't he just say he promised his daughters they could pick it out? Peru can't get mad at that!
  • I thought he was going to try for a shelter dog first.  Didn't he say something about how he likes shelter dogs b/c they are mostly mutts, like him?  That made me smile!  (My mother told me this, so I apologize for any inaccuracies.  She is much-too-excited about the Obama's new dog).

I agree that the hairless dog is cuter than I expected. 

• Nightmares!
    Slainte!
    my read shelf:
    Jenni (jenniloveselvis)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think the dog is kind of cute. I agree though, it's going to be hard to refuse them when they're so nicely offering one. It would be diplomatic to accept it, but probably won't make the girls happy.

• Those kids are going to be *SO* pissed if he brings that home...
  • I'm gonna go on the record and say this --- I truly don't give a crap what kind of dog they get.   Sure, shelter rescue mitt is prefered, but if the kids want some sort of doodle because they prefer not to be overcome with allergies, or even because they think they are cute, I just don't care. It's two kids getting a dog, learning about loving an animal, and encouraging others to do the same.   There are tons of dogs out there that need to be adopted, but you know what, there are tons of kids out there that need to be adopted too.  That doesn't stop people from picking a mate and creating one with the characteristics they prefer.

I realize this is a stretch, but still.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image ShootingStarKRB:
    Those kids are going to be *SO* pissed if he brings that home...

LOL

• I think the "adopt a shelter dog" thing is the best excuse for turning down Peru.  I don't know if saying he needs an American breed would play well internationally.  Aren't the days of Arrogant America over?  Stick out tongue
    Mom to Atticus (06/2008) and Franny (11/2009)
    blog
  • I love hairless breeds, and would have gotten one If I could have afforded it, but the fact is there is only one breed of hypoallergenic cat (created less than 5 years ago) and no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.  Hair, hairless, or fur, they all have the allergy-causing protein in their genes. 
    [img]
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575553_3628402905789_1145555859_5259941_183025947_n.jpg
    [/img]

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/6/6txg4pq9e.png[/IMG][/URL]