Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Lawn mowers - or lawn service?

Our mower died. Looking for recommendations for something inexpensive. We have a pretty steep hill in our yard so a self propelled one would be nice.

ETA: Or if you have a lawn service come out, would you mind telling me who and approximately how much they charge?

Does anyone have a reel mower? Is it a boatload of work? How big is your lawn?

We are having the worst luck right now. In the last 2 weeks our microwave died, my car is leaking oil, DH needs new tires, a plumber had to come out to fix the main sewer line leaving the house and the water lines coming into the house are leaking. And now the mower. We cannot catch a break. 

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.

Re: Lawn mowers - or lawn service?

• We got a Toro self-propelled and it has been great. 

What is your budget?  I think ours was $400-ish...?

eta:  How about a goat??  :-)

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao51eb.jpg[/IMG]
  • image MrsKizdoodle:

We got a Toro self-propelled and it has been great. 

What is your budget?  I think ours was $400-ish...?

eta:  How about a goat??  :-)

OMG, I would so get a goat instead of a lawn mower. We actually have names picked out for all our imaginary farm animals.  The goat's name is Sherbert, the pig is Petunia and the sheep is Hairy.  We're working on names for the alpacas.

We'll look at Toro.  I think that's what my dad has, too.

• Oh wait, I just remember that goats like shrubs more than grass.  I'd have to get a sheep.  This one might be nice and his name is Sheep, which is convenient because you'll never forget what he is.  http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20663082
  • We have a Gardena push mower.  It's about $200 but worth the extra $$ since the blades don't contact, just come close, it can be pushed with one arm versus other cheaper models that are much more work. Because of this feature the blades only need to be sharpened about ever 3 years making up for the cost difference since other mowers need to be sharpened yearly.  We really like the eco part of the push mower and also like that I can mow in flip flops and can listen to music since it's quiet.  I also have bad grass allergies and they're a lot better when the mower isn't alienating the grass and spewing it up into the air.  A push mower will not mulch leaves in fall though, which stinks if you have a lot of leaves.  I also wouldn't get a push mower if you yard is more than about 0.1-2 of an acre.
  • stupid auto correct: i mean "annihilating" the grass
  • image Steph&J:
    We have a Gardena push mower.  It's about $200 but worth the extra $$ since the blades don't contact, just come close, it can be pushed with one arm versus other cheaper models that are much more work. Because of this feature the blades only need to be sharpened about ever 3 years making up for the cost difference since other mowers need to be sharpened yearly.  We really like the eco part of the push mower and also like that I can mow in flip flops and can listen to music since it's quiet.  I also have bad grass allergies and they're a lot better when the mower isn't alienating the grass and spewing it up into the air.  A push mower will not mulch leaves in fall though, which stinks if you have a lot of leaves.  I also wouldn't get a push mower if you yard is more than about 0.1-2 of an acre.

That's good to know. My nose is like a faucet when I mow. I actually have to bring a stack of kleenex out with me. Yuck.

I think we have around 6000 square feet (1/8 acre) of lawn and I can mow it in about 20 minutes with the gas mower.  I just can't imagine that a reel mower would take more than an hour. Or am I crazy? I guess I would think of it like a workout, especially if you can actually listen to music and enjoy the day.

• Let me know if you want the name of the small engine repair guy I have used to take a look at your mower - he's in St. Paul over by Como Park.  Ours wasn't working this week plus it had needed a tune up badly so we brought it over to him.  He sharpened the blade, tuned everything up, had to put a new piece in the carbeuretor (sp?), replace a belt and some other stuff I can't recall now and it was $75 for the whole deal.  He does it as a hobby so he's not looking to get rich off of it but he's done a great job on our snowblower and now our lawnmower.

I don't have a rec for new mowers because mine came with my house but I know it is a Craftsman but a little older.  Until this week, we haven't had a problem with it in the 5 years I've owned it and knowing what I do about the previous owner, they never did a single thing to maintain it while they owned it. The mechanic said with somewhat regular tuneups, there isn't a reason it shouldn't go for a VERY long time. 

• We caught a break!  I was walking the dog last night and someone had the same mower for sale for $20 in their driveway. The cord you pull is broken on it so I think DH can take the cord from ours and put it on that one. We'll be happy as long as it lasts through the rest of the summer.

• My parents didn't believe me that mowing the lawn made me really sick when I was younger.  They ate their words when my allergy test showed I was highly allergic to grass.  Allergy shots have helped tremendously with that.  I can go out in my yard now!  :-)

I still vote for a goat or sheep though.  :-)  

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao51eb.jpg[/IMG]
  • We have a reel mower, but we stopped using it and got a (used) electric mower instead. I love the idea of the reel mower, and I found it generally pleasant to use, but it just didn't work very well on our lawn, or for our mowing style.

Our lawn is VERY bumpy and uneven, and the reel mower would gouge chunks of earth out of the bumps while failing to cut in the depressions. If you have a more even lawn surface, I don't think this would be a problem. We also tend to not mow very often, and if you don't mow regularly and the grass gets long, the reel mower just pushes the grass over instead of cutting it. So you need to be more disciplined about mowing than we were...

The reel mower also doesn't handle sticks and twigs very well--we have a very wooded yard, and even after picking up sticks beforehand, the reel mower would constantly get jammed on the tiniest twigs--so annoying.

The electric mower works great, and is a much better fit for our crummy lawn and undisciplined mowing habits.  Not as green, but... it does the job.

We actually have been meaning to sell our reel mower (which we also bought used).  If you're interested in borrowing it to give it a try, or buying it for super cheap, send me a PM! It may need some blade sharpening... it's been sitting unused in our shed for a couple of years now.

• image littlemissflip:

Our lawn is VERY bumpy and uneven, and the reel mower would gouge chunks of earth out of the bumps while failing to cut in the depressions. If you have a more even lawn surface, I don't think this would be a problem. We also tend to not mow very often, and if you don't mow regularly and the grass gets long, the reel mower just pushes the grass over instead of cutting it. So you need to be more disciplined about mowing than we were...

The reel mower also doesn't handle sticks and twigs very well--we have a very wooded yard, and even after picking up sticks beforehand, the reel mower would constantly get jammed on the tiniest twigs--so annoying.

This is very good to know because our lawn is not even at all and we have a ton of twigs and branches from the trees.  There's no way we're going to pick up all the twigs every time we mow.  Thanks for mentioning this.

• Happy to help, although too bad the reel mower doesn't sound like a good fit for you either.  I hope someday to have the type of lawn (and enough free time) to where a reel mower is all I need...