July 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

laundry question (poll)

So DH and I had a tiny argument last night about laundry. 

He was graciously doing mine (yay!), but refused to wash just what I wanted washed (boo).  He threw in all sorts of other things (some of his clothes, no big deal) and wanted to throw in a table cloth!  I thought that was kinda gross.  He didn't want to waste water, I said we have a dial that allows for variable water amounts...  that's what it is there for. 

So...  then I mentioned how I don't wash rags with regular clothes (wait til all rags/dish cloths/dish towels are dirty, wash those), or super dirty clothes with regular clothes (like my lab coat & stuff) and wait til all my white towels are dirty and wash only those (so they stay super white).

So... am I the crazy one, or do others separate their laundry as much as I do?

Re: laundry question (poll)

• nope! you're definitely not crazy...and the exact same reason is why Derek isn't allowed to do the laundry haha

I separate dark colors, bright colors and whites, then I wash sheets, bath towels, rags and kitchen towels and any anything else in separate loads too. I don't want towel fuzzies all over my clothes and sheets, and I don't want my colored bath towels to ruin my light kitchen towels!

I also wash Derek's camo uniform and PT uniforms separately...I don't always know what he's been into at work, and I'd rather not wash them with all of our regular clothes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image vmd87:

nope! you're definitely not crazy...and the exact same reason is why Derek isn't allowed to do the laundry haha

I separate dark colors, bright colors and whites, then I wash sheets, bath towels, rags and kitchen towels and any anything else in separate loads too. I don't want towel fuzzies all over my clothes and sheets, and I don't want my colored bath towels to ruin my light kitchen towels!

I also wash Derek's camo uniform and PT uniforms separately...I don't always know what he's been into at work, and I'd rather not wash them with all of our regular clothes! 

Thank you!  I also don't want my dark clothes to get faded & lighter clothes to get dingy :)

• You aren't crazy!  I sort the laundry more than DH does.  I do all the laundry.  It is easier that way.  I sort colors and whites.  I wash towels and sheets separately from clothes, although I don't care if towels and sheets go in the same load.  I also don't dry a lot of my clothes because I don't want t-shirts, nice work shirts, and jeans to shrink.  DH can't keep track of what can be dried and what can't.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Brad's not allowed to do laundry because he shrinks my tops.

I separate loads into Jeans & Khakis (his work khakis), whites, colors regular, colors delicate, bath towels, kitchen towels and sheets.  I just use the knob to select the wash size to save water.

Anniversary Photobucket
  • DH just doesn't do the laundry.  It's annoying.  But yes, I separate a lot.  Darks, lights, whites (which I usually bleach) all get washed separately in cold water.  I wash our sheets (which are white) usually with the whites, but I'll use hot water also. 

I usually wash my scrubs and our towels together in a hot wash with OxyClean. 

Kitchen wash cloths, tea towels and cleaning rags go together in a hot wash with OxyClean also.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • My DH isn't allowed to do the laundry.  He doesn't seperate things the way I do, and he wants to dry clothes of mine that I don't dry.  If he decides to do some laundry, he has strict orders not to wash any of mine!  I love him dearly for wanting to try and help, but it's easier if I just do it myself.

Oh, and he also doesn't fold the way I do, and does not know what should be hung up or what goes in what drawer.  If he helps me fold laundry, I always go behind him and fix everything!

• DH and I each do our own laundry.  We started like that and it has stayed that way and it works best for us.  I also separate lights and darks and do underwear, bras, and T shirts together.  I also do not put anything in the dryer (except towels) and DH puts everything in the dryer.  He complains about the fan I have that I use on my blouses.  But if he does need the washer and I had shirts in it he will hang them up. He won't turn on the fan and put them how I do but at least he knows not to put them in the dryer.  I do the laundry for towels/rags and tablecloths/napkins and I usually put bath towels together and kitchen towels together.  I will wash some bathroom and kitchen towels together if there are only a few of them!
  • You're not crazy....Wes doesn't really get the whole laundry thing either but he's much better.

I do darks and whites. If I have enough laundry I do dark colors, light colors (grey, light pink, light blue, etc.) and whites. I also wash sheets and pillow cases by themeselves. Blankets by themselves depending on their size. And I wash towels and rags in their own load too. H's uniforms usually get their own cycle also.

Gross towels DO NOT go in with my pretty clothes! 

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/9hm6vt.png[/IMG]

Love bugs unite!

Planning bio / Married bio
  • Not crazy at all.  I air dry a lot of my stuff and DH doesn't really listen to me and either forgets to air dry or just air drys it all (like I walk in and all of my underpants, PJs and socks are on the drying rack!).  I went back to using the laundry hamper I had from before we moved in for just my stuff- that way I control how it gets washed and what it gets washed with.  It means I end up doing "my" own laundry (but I do "our" laundry a lot of the time anyways) but its worth it to avoid having stuff shrunk or having a whole load of stuff I want softened from the dry not stiff from the drying rack.
    ? ?????????! Z!
    BFP #1 EDD 12/14/12, C/P 4/9
    dx: DOR
    Clomid + trigger + IUI #2
    Everyone welcome.
  • I used to, then got lazy with laundry. I hate it. DH does it and he separates everything. He told me i'm not allowed to do it anymore. I just throw everything in together. I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm just lazy and want to get out of the laundry mat.
    Photobucket