Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Priceline "Name Your Price"

Has anyone used this?  What was your experience?

I was thining about doing it for a trip we are taking to Chicago this fall, but you have to put in your credit card BEFORE you see the hotel.  They say that if they can match your price, your card will be charged and that is it.  It makes me a little nervous knowing I don't have an "opt out" in there.

Thanks in advance.

Our last sunset in Hawaii... Honeymoon 2010
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Michelle & Michael
Married - August '10
TTC - Since September 2011
IUI - 10/29/2014, BFP! EDD: 7/22/2015

Re: Priceline "Name Your Price"

• Unless you're adventurous and flexible with where you stay, I wouldn't do it.  It may be worth it to pay a little extra for piece of mind. :)

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• We have used it before.  But the key is to know the region or area that you are wanting to stay.  Sometimes with some research, you can usually key in on a certain region or area and narrow down the possibilities.  For instance, if you are looking at a region that only has two five star hotels and you pick 5 star hotels only, then you know it will be one of those 2.

Like we know the exact region the Omni is in and it's the only 4 star hotel in that region so we use Priceline every time we stay there.  Ben's best man is in San Francisco right now and has been there many times so he was able to use it for the parts of SF he wanted to be in.

Anyway, this is how we use it.  I agree it's scary otherwise.

• msealemseale member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

Stephie, that makes sense.  I had said 4 star hotels in ONLY the neighborhoods I wanted in Chicago (Lincoln Park, Loop, Magnificent Mile, etc).  In looking Priceline shows 32 hotels in that area, and I wouldn't be upset to stay in any of those.  I don't know, I'm just so used to picking the exact hotel by location, preferred status, price, that I'm nervous to say ok, this price, you pick the rest.

But, I think I'm just a control freak, and this shouldn't be too bad if I'm picking 4 star.  Eek!

Thanks for the response.

Our last sunset in Hawaii... Honeymoon 2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
    IUI - 10/29/2014, BFP! EDD: 7/22/2015
  • I've done this twice now. I agree it's scary, even when I've tried to do as much research beforehand as I can, but it's such a good deal!

The first time I did it, it was for a trip to San Antonio. I just knew the star-level we wanted (don't remember now) and right on the boardwalk ... but otherwise didn't care. So that worked out great. We saved at least half what the hotel would've normally cost. 

Then when a bunch of my relatives came into town for the wedding, and I didn't want them paying over $100 for a hotel here in Fort Worth, I got a really nice hotel (going rate about $130/night) for about $55/night. That time, I'd actually screwed up some of the zones so I got a different hotel than I was hoping for ... but it turned out to be an awesome hotel, so it was all for the best, really.

For doing research, I like to use the betterbidding.com website. I always look up and see what the hotel options are (that are known). http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=87&;

• image MarieSD:

For doing research, I like to use the betterbidding.com website. I always look up and see what the hotel options are (that are known). http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=87&;

I think that's the one Ben uses too.

• I wish I had the guts to use it!  The savings sure would be nice.  The only time I have used it was in my college town.  There weren't many hotels to choose from and I would have stayed at any of them so I went for it.
  • image stephiehall:

We have used it before.  But the key is to know the region or area that you are wanting to stay.  Sometimes with some research, you can usually key in on a certain region or area and narrow down the possibilities.  For instance, if you are looking at a region that only has two five star hotels and you pick 5 star hotels only, then you know it will be one of those 2.

Like we know the exact region the Omni is in and it's the only 4 star hotel in that region so we use Priceline every time we stay there.  Ben's best man is in San Francisco right now and has been there many times so he was able to use it for the parts of SF he wanted to be in.

Anyway, this is how we use it.  I agree it's scary otherwise.

This.

We use it for almost every hotel we book. Just do your research and use betterbidding.com. I also always buy the $5 per day trip insurance just in case I want to cancel, which I have done once in the past when I wasn't satisfied with the hotel I got.  

Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic