Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Whatever we normally do on Fridays

2»

Re: Whatever we normally do on Fridays

• image DFWIndian:
    image bobbileighb:

Leslie, going to look now.

Summer, Sad

Deepthi, this may be an unpopular opinion but who is the wedding for/ how important is it.  I am not a proponant of skipping out on a wedding but this is your last opportunity to see someone very important to you for possibly a long time.  Just a thought.

I'm helping this person with DOC on her wedding. I can't bail on her now because she doesn't have anyone else. It's not right to do to her. I have Wednesday off because I was going to do name change stuff. Now it might be filled with driving to Houston.

Absolutely agree if you are helping with or in the wedding not right to bail.  I hope you get a chance to see them before they leave.  Being so far away from everyone back in Omaha I completely relate.

• image danac2010:
    So I think DH and I are going to have to have a long serious talk about SD and her attitude when he gets home Sunday.  I'm over the overreacting when she doesn't get her way.  The throwing things, the stomping of the foot, the getting in my face and yelling, and the door slamming have to stop.  He thinks it's normal behavior and I keep trying to explain that it is not normal for a 6 year old to be controlling our house.  He actually had the nerve to tell me I overreacted last night after she threw the tv remote and my Sprite across the room because I wouldn't let her watch a movie again because it was bedtime.  I am over the spoiled brat behavior and if he doesn't want to establish rules I will not help him raise a spoiled brat.  He was doing so good there for a while and now that we are having the baby he has gone back to letting her get away with everything.

Um, sorry, but Melodie hasn't thrown anything across the room since she was about 3 years old.  And she has never yelled in my face, NEVER.  Because if she did, it would be the last time she would ever do so.  She has never even slammed a door and she is 17.

This is not appropriate behavior at 6 or any age IMO.

• image stephiehall:

image danac2010:
    So I think DH and I are going to have to have a long serious talk about SD and her attitude when he gets home Sunday.  I'm over the overreacting when she doesn't get her way.  The throwing things, the stomping of the foot, the getting in my face and yelling, and the door slamming have to stop.  He thinks it's normal behavior and I keep trying to explain that it is not normal for a 6 year old to be controlling our house.  He actually had the nerve to tell me I overreacted last night after she threw the tv remote and my Sprite across the room because I wouldn't let her watch a movie again because it was bedtime.  I am over the spoiled brat behavior and if he doesn't want to establish rules I will not help him raise a spoiled brat.  He was doing so good there for a while and now that we are having the baby he has gone back to letting her get away with everything.

Um, sorry, but Melodie hasn't thrown anything across the room since she was about 3 years old.  And she has never yelled in my face, NEVER.  Because if she did, it would be the last time she would ever do so.  She has never even slammed a door and she is 17.

This is not appropriate behavior at 6 or any age IMO.

Agree. It's going to be hard to break her of it because she IS older, and her mom apparently lets her get away with it. But it is absolutely NOT normal. Jack is 8 and he wouldn't dare.

imageimg
  • Stephanie and Chelsea,

I agree 100%.  DH has never been around kids.  He is the youngest in his family and moved before his cousins started having kids.  This is his first and him and the ex have been split up since SD was a little over 1.  He feels bad for her having to go between 2 homes and he also said that he doesn't want her to grow up and not want to come to daddy's house because he has rules.  I said it's part of growing up for her and being a good parent for him.  It is going to be a really tough conversation because anytime I bring up his parenting he gets very defensive and just says "you are right, I don't know how to raise my child" and then shuts down.  I am thinking about suggesting counseling for her since we are having a new baby and that is a lot to deal with sometimes for a child.  I know I was in counseling after my parents divorced and remarried and it made a world of difference for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image danac2010:

Stephanie and Chelsea,

I agree 100%.  DH has never been around kids.  He is the youngest in his family and moved before his cousins started having kids.  This is his first and him and the ex have been split up since SD was a little over 1.  He feels bad for her having to go between 2 homes and he also said that he doesn't want her to grow up and not want to come to daddy's house because he has rules.  I said it's part of growing up for her and being a good parent for him.  It is going to be a really tough conversation because anytime I bring up his parenting he gets very defensive and just says "you are right, I don't know how to raise my child" and then shuts down.  I am thinking about suggesting counseling for her since we are having a new baby and that is a lot to deal with sometimes for a child.  I know I was in counseling after my parents divorced and remarried and it made a world of difference for me.

I think counseling might be a good idea.    I have two half sisters and a half brother that are a lot older than me.   Their relationship with my Dad is very strained/non existent even today because my Dad enforced rules.   They hated coming to our house to visit as kids because they could do whatever the hell they wanted at their Mom's house.   I was old enough to know that my Dad took great care of them, bought them things, etc... they just had to behave.

My Dad even took full custody of my brother when he was in HS and they got him in therapy (he had some serious issues)... and when it got tough brother went running back to Mom and never got the help he needed and is still debilitated by this today. 

It's a fine line, so I would recommend getting help and treading lightly.

• image danac2010:

Stephanie and Chelsea,

Alot of it is the guilt he has and that is natural.  You are going to have to be very careful.  Try and start as many sentences you can with "I"--"I feel like we need to set some new rules for SD;" "I am having problems getting her to mind me;" "I think we need to work together on getting her behavior under control," etc.  Show him what we have said  if you want to. Praise him for the things that he does that are positive.  You guys are in for a tough road if something doesn't change.  Her behavior will only get worse once the new baby comes.

• Thanks ladies.  I know it is going to be a very sensitive conversation and I will do my best you "I" statements.  I honestly am worried about how her behavior will change once the baby is here because she is an only child at both houses.  And I know a lot of it is guiltt on his part but he can't feel gulity forever.  She left him, not the other way around.

Tiffany, I understand the rules at one and not at the other.  My dad's house had very few rules.  We never had chores, curfew, tv restrictions, etc but at my mom's house (where we spent a majority of time) it was very much rules, rules, rules.  My step dad didn't put up with whinning, talking back, not listening, etc and we had chores daily.  I think it actually made us better people because we learned responsibilty.  We have implemented a chore chart at our house for SD but DH doesn't enforce it, heck I don't even think he looks at it to see what is on there.  I am really hoping we can talk about setting house rules and punishments for said rules being broken together without a big ordeal.

• image bobbileighb:

Leslie, That frap sounds yummy.  I have thought about getting a PT job at starbucks but have refrained because I think I would consume more calories than its worth.

I worked at Starbucks for years and trust me, you get sick of those fraps fast! If you are still thinking of it then I would say go for it (I hope to get rehired there when we move back to DFW). I wouldn't go to a really busy store or one with a drive through (I worked at Campbell & 75 and hated how slammed it was all the time).

Fun work environment, great benefits and free coffee/tea is pretty great. They start you at $7.50/hour plus tips!  

• I am playing catch up this morning.  I had a dermatologist appointment for my annual skin check and got totally HOSED.  Thankfully, all of my moles/spots looked normal, but I wanted to see about having three moles removed.  Since the removal would be cosmetic, the doctor informed me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the removal.  My mistake was not asking for the price to remove them.  When I got to the couter, it was $260.  HOLY SMOKES. 

I have such "buyers remorse."  I wanted to ask the lady at the desk if I could go back in the exam room and have the doctor glue them back on!!!

I'll never understand why things like that cost so much...10 minutes equal $260?!?!?!

• image saramc27:

I am playing catch up this morning.  I had a dermatologist appointment for my annual skin check and got totally HOSED.  Thankfully, all of my moles/spots looked normal, but I wanted to see about having three moles removed.  Since the removal would be cosmetic, the doctor informed me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the removal.  My mistake was not asking for the price to remove them.  When I got to the couter, it was $260.  HOLY SMOKES. 

I have such "buyers remorse."  I wanted to ask the lady at the desk if I could go back in the exam room and have the doctor glue them back on!!!

I'll never understand why things like that cost so much...10 minutes equal $260?!?!?!

We do this in office too. It has a lot to do with meds used when they are doing the procedure, cost of the room, assistant and doctor's time. Sorry I did Healthcare Admin for a degree so I learned why things cost the way they do. When you put in non-revenue generating costs and everything else it adds up to a lot.

• image saramc27:

I am playing catch up this morning.  I had a dermatologist appointment for my annual skin check and got totally HOSED.  Thankfully, all of my moles/spots looked normal, but I wanted to see about having three moles removed.  Since the removal would be cosmetic, the doctor informed me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the removal.  My mistake was not asking for the price to remove them.  When I got to the couter, it was $260.  HOLY SMOKES. 

Yea that sucks :-/ 

I am so glad that it is Friday!  And on a WR note...we are picking up our wedding video tomorrow!  Yay!

Anniversary 
    ~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
    ~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
    TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
    Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
    Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
    Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
    Baby N born 5/9/14
  • image DFWIndian:
    image saramc27:

We do this in office too. It has a lot to do with meds used when they are doing the procedure, cost of the room, assistant and doctor's time. Sorry I did Healthcare Admin for a degree so I learned why things cost the way they do. When you put in non-revenue generating costs and everything else it adds up to a lot.

I am just so mad at myself for not questioning the costs first.  Note to self for next time I guess.

• Sara- I recently had the same done for just one mole and it was 140 for one, I just assumed it was the numbing agent and then sending them off for testing is what drove up the cost.

Sarah- Yay! I know how much you wanted to get it picked up.

• image saramc27:

I am playing catch up this morning.  I had a dermatologist appointment for my annual skin check and got totally HOSED.  Thankfully, all of my moles/spots looked normal, but I wanted to see about having three moles removed.  Since the removal would be cosmetic, the doctor informed me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the removal.  My mistake was not asking for the price to remove them.  When I got to the couter, it was $260.  HOLY SMOKES

Pardon the pun, but I first read this as "HOLY MOLY"  Sorry to hear about what happened though. Surprises like that are NEVER fun...

The past week or so I've had vivid dreams where I am pregnant or have just had a baby.  It's so weird because neither DH or myself have been discussing/planning for a family lately, and neither one of us have children.  In fact, we haven't even been around many people with children.  I don't understand how I can even dream about it if I've never experienced it.  It's gotta be this wonky BC I've been on. It's made me a wreck the weekend before I'm set to start, and now has been giving me crazy dreams.  Time to switch it up, I guess!

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• image LDMainsy:
    image saramc27:

I am playing catch up this morning.  I had a dermatologist appointment for my annual skin check and got totally HOSED.  Thankfully, all of my moles/spots looked normal, but I wanted to see about having three moles removed.  Since the removal would be cosmetic, the doctor informed me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the removal.  My mistake was not asking for the price to remove them.  When I got to the couter, it was $260.  HOLY SMOKES

Pardon the pun, but I first read this as "HOLY MOLY"  Sorry to hear about what happened though. Surprises like that are NEVER fun...

The past week or so I've had vivid dreams where I am pregnant or have just had a baby.  It's so weird because neither DH or myself have been discussing/planning for a family lately, and neither one of us have children.  In fact, we haven't even been around many people with children.  I don't understand how I can even dream about it if I've never experienced it.  It's gotta be this wonky BC I've been on. It's made me a wreck the weekend before I'm set to start, and now has been giving me crazy dreams.  Time to switch it up, I guess!

I should have said that!!!  What a missed opportunity....

• image LDMainsy:
    image saramc27:

Might be the baby talk here. While it's not horrible I've been having the same kind of dreams.

• Now that I about to go home, we have internet/email/everything else I possibly need to do a large chunk of my job back.