Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Teach For America

Are you a Teach for America Corps member or know of someone who is? What has your experience been like?
Daisypath Vacation tickers

Re: Teach For America

• I'm a teacher and at our school we have at least 1 Teach for America person. He probably isn't the best representative for the organization.

If teaching is what you are trying to get into right now I'd wait or try in a different state. This last year was a tough year on teachers getting fired due to major budget cuts and it's only going to get worse in Texas. There are very few positions open and those will get filled with already certified and experienced teachers.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer. Maybe other teachers here will have more/better information than I do.

• I know a friend from HS who works for Teach for America in Chicago and loves it.  I think it is a great program, but know that they place teachers in pretty rough schools, which is very challenging for a 1st year teacher.

As PP said it is a hard time to find work as a teacher in TX, but young teachers actually have an easier time finding work than experienced teachers because they get paid less.

image my read shelf:
    Shannon (shananagins) Jones's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My sister is in TFA and has had a very negative experience. The program has a lot of training on urban poor, but putting teachers in rural poor areas is still fairly new so they don't have that much training. My sister is in rural Mississippi and has had very little support from the organization. She was assaulted by a student twice and has been told by the school district she would be fired for pressing charges & TFA encouraged her not to do so. 
  • image Namasteak:
    My sister is in TFA and has had a very negative experience. The program has a lot of training on urban poor, but putting teachers in rural poor areas is still fairly new so they don't have that much training. My sister is in rural Mississippi and has had very little support from the organization. She was assaulted by a student twice and has been told by the school district she would be fired for pressing charges & TFA encouraged her not to do so. 

Oh my gosh that's terrifying!  I can't believe she has that little support from the school district, much less TFA. 

OP, I would suggest sigining up to sub for a few local school districts to see if you really enjoy teaching.  It really is harder than most people expect it to be and something like 2 out of every 5 new teachers quit before 5 years. 

image my read shelf:
    Shannon (shananagins) Jones's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image shananagins:

image Namasteak:
    My sister is in TFA and has had a very negative experience. The program has a lot of training on urban poor, but putting teachers in rural poor areas is still fairly new so they don't have that much training. My sister is in rural Mississippi and has had very little support from the organization. She was assaulted by a student twice and has been told by the school district she would be fired for pressing charges & TFA encouraged her not to do so. 

Oh my gosh that's terrifying!  I can't believe she has that little support from the school district, much less TFA. 

OP, I would suggest sigining up to sub for a few local school districts to see if you really enjoy teaching.  It really is harder than most people expect it to be and something like 2 out of every 5 new teachers quit before 5 years. 

Urban poor is so different than rural poor and I'm not sure TFA knows how to handle it. Many of my sisters friends that are in urban areas are having a much better experience.  

• I had a friend do TFA in Georgia and she LOVED it.  She ended up going on to get a masters in education and pursuing more education because she felt that the training was lacking.

Have you looked into doing the alternative certification thing?  It's my understanding that TFA places you wherever they need someone and can't take into account requests (I could be totally wrong here.) If you become alternatively certified you can teach anywhere in the state... assuming there's a job opening and you're the best candidate!

Like several of the ladies have said... school districts are a little weary right now with budget cuts.  Good Luck! 

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/zxmo82.jpg[/IMG]

[url]www.annemarieblogs.wordpress.com[/url]