Getting Pregnant
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

When did you stop BCP?

Sorry if this question has been asked before...DH & I are planning to TTC next year... I've been on BCP for about 15 years, and have no idea when I should stop taking them to let my system get back to normal.  I'm going to see my gyno in a couple of weeks by I'm going to run out of my pack of pills before then, and wondering if I should refill, or just stop them now. 

Re: When did you stop BCP?

• My doctor said to stop the pills 3 months before you TTC.  But you could stop them before that if you want to give your body more time to return to regular cycles on its own.
  • I stopped them about 4 years ago. It took me 3 longish cycles before my body started having regular, normal length cycles.

We're going to be TTC buddies :) 

• I've been told 3-6 months.
  • You can get pregnant at any time after going off the pill, even after only a few days - why do you think women get pregnant when they forget a couple of pill?. ?The only reason why doctors suggest that you wait a few months for you to have regular cycles is to get a better estimate on your due date.

My sister got pregnant less than a month after going off the pill.?

• We are going to start TTC in the Spring, and I just went off the pill last month.  I had been on it for about 10 years.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only reason why doctors suggest that you wait a few months for you to have regular cycles is to get a better estimate on your due date.

Wrong.  The reason why they tell you to wait a few months before ttc is to get all of the bcp hormones out of your body. 

[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/30j332v.jpg[/IMG]
  • I've read that the bcp hormones dissipate really quickly and that's it's completely safe to conceive the first month after stopping them, but there is a chance a woman could have decreased supplies of certain vitamins and minerals, especially folic acid, after being on the pill for an extended time.
  • image mrsh0606:

The only reason why doctors suggest that you wait a few months for you to have regular cycles is to get a better estimate on your due date.

Wrong.  The reason why they tell you to wait a few months before ttc is to get all of the bcp hormones out of your body. 

The hormones are out of your body within a few days, at most. Hormonal BCPs are very low dose. 

• You have to take BCP daily in order to keep hormone levels up in your body to prevent ovulation. You don't get pregnant while on the pill, when taken correctly, because you don't ovulate, meaning there's no egg to be fertilized.  All BCP "instructions" tell you that if you skip or miss taking a pill, you have to use backup birth control because the effectiveness of the pill drops dramatically.  If the hormones in BCP stay in your system for a longer period of time than just 24 hours, you'd only have to take the pill every so often to keep the "effectiveness" of the pill up.

Drs. advise you stop a few months beforehand so your body regulates itself and you start ovulating again.  You might not know when the peak time to try and conceive is if you aren't able to accurately chart your periods :)  But my SIL stopped taking the pill and I think it was literally two or three weeks later when she got pregnant (not saying that's the case with everyone :)).

• I went off in December 2007 and we started trying this July.  I did not know how long it would take for my cycles to get back to normal.  In some research I had done, I found it could take up to a year.  I will say within 2 cycles I was back to normal.
  • Two years ago. Still not pregnant.
    IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • I stopped taking my pill and got pregnant three months later, and than had a mc and than had one regular cycle and got pregant again and had my son in January of 2007...it took me a few months. I think it probablly depends on each person some people seem to get pregnant easily and others I know it takes years...do what you think is right for you and talk to your gyno at your appointment...best wishes Smile
  • I discussed this with my Doc at my last pap. He said that once we stop the pill, to use condoms for 1 full cycle because, while you can get pregnant soon and there is no risk of the horomones doing major damage, your lining may be thinner than usual so there is a higher chance of mc.
  • I stopped BCP 4 months before TTC. But I was lucky to have normal cycles right after.  Some ppl have trouble getting their cycle to regulate after BCP.
    [IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/n4cv12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2pra71k.jpg[/IMG]
  • My husband and I are going to start ttc around July or August next year . . . we are taking one final vacation together towards the end of August to spend some time together I'm so glad someone asked this because I started looking into when I should get off the pill and what vitamins I need to start taking and so on and so forth! :)
  • I got PG the first month after I stopped BCP.
    Samuel Levi 2.26.06 41w - natural birth
    Eli Porter 6.18.09 35.5w - natural birth
    Silas Nathaniel 1.25.13 35.4w - C-section due to marginal previa - 10 days NICU

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image mrsh0606:

The only reason why doctors suggest that you wait a few months for you to have regular cycles is to get a better estimate on your due date.

You're an idiot.  Please STFU if you don't know what you're talking about.

As others have said, the hormones are out of your body hours after you take your last pill - that's why you have to take a pill every single day in order for it to be effective.  Really - think about it.

However, it may take your body a little while to re-regulate itself.  That's why some doctors advise waiting a few months before TTC - it makes it a lot easier to date the pregnancy if your body has re-regulated itself and you've had a normal period.

But it doesn't hurt anything to get pregnant immediately after going off BCP, and for some women this is when they are most fertile. 

I was on BCP for 13 years.  Stopped in November, used condoms in December, was pregnant in January.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Most doctors recommend stopping them 3 months prior to starting TTC (which is what I did).
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was on the pill for 8 years, due to irregular cycles.  I started TTC right away and got pregnant 6 months later.  I'm TTCAL now, and hoping to get pregnant quickly.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2zdrdcm.gif[/IMG]
  • My Dr. told me one month before TTC so that it is easier to date a pregnancy based on the 1st day of your "natural period". He said that if I do get pregnant that first month it is no big deal.

I am going off the pill probably in March and will start to TTC in April.

• Stop whenever you want. Just consider that when you go off the pill, you should be prepared to have a child. 

My doctor told me that there was no need to go off "early" to "get it out of your system".  That was something doctor's used to tell women back when the hormone levels were higher in the pill than they are now.  That said, it's nice to go off the pill just to get your body feeling back to normal.

I was on the pill for just shy of 10 years and went off a couple weeks ago.  We plan to TTC in early 2009.

Good luck when you TTC!

• My friend said she got pregnant "right away" after going off the pill.

The person who said earlier that it takes months to get the hormones out of your system is totally wrong, as others have pointed out.  This isn't 1960. 

• It is crazy how much conflicting information is out there.  I just went to the gyno this week and she told me there is no need to "wait to get the hormones out of your system".  She said the only reason to use a back-up method when going off BC (ie condom) is if you want to try to figure out your cycle.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DH and I are going to start TTC in June.  This is my first month off of BCP.  I stopped taking it so that I can get to know my cycle. My periods are much different off BCP.  I have had friends conceive the first month off of BCPs though.

• Went off BCP in September, a week after DH and I got married. This is my third cycle TTC baby #1.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker