Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Nancy Reagan Seance Comment

Did anyone else catch the Nancy Reagan Seance Comment that Obama made during the press conference today?

He was asked if he had spoken with all the living presidents as he prepares to take office in January. He  said, "I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." 

That was some bull_shit and uncalled for. Apparently he called her to apologize - but just was dumb and rude to say in the first place.

Re: Nancy Reagan Seance Comment

• Well that's what happens when you're off the prompter.
  • It was funny.  It was a joke.  Nancy was a kookie lady and he apologized.
  • Like we talked about earlier, the man is very, very tired I'm sure.  Sometimes things slip, and, he apologized
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • image poochie:
    Well that's what happens when you're off the prompter.

LOL.. so true!! 

• He didn't get the gouge correct.

Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer.  A goofy thing to do, if you ask me, but hardly to the level of holding seances to talk with the dead.

• tired isn't an excuse, he's going to be tired the next 4 years (possibly 8).  It's rude, actually ignorant, no way around it.  He made a mistake, apologized.  He'll probably make several more stupid comments because he's human, just because he's Obama doesn't make him immune from stupid comments.
  • I'm so glad we have a board for ever bitter poster to nit-pick every little thing. 

The guy has a personality, and he and I seem to have similar definitions of batshitcrazy, so I'm ok with it.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • I think it's funny and Nancy Reagan is a crazy b!tch. ?Astrology, seances, whatever. ?It's all effing crazy, and it is actually funny.?

I mean, maybe we're just not used to a quick president.?

Well, that would be telling

[url]http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9786320[/url]
  • image debJustDeb:

He didn't get the gouge correct.

Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer.? A goofy thing to do, if you ask me, but hardly to the level of holding seances to talk with the dead.

I think it's exactly the same level. ??

• image bunnybean:
    image debJustDeb:

He didn't get the gouge correct.

Nancy Reagan consulted an astrologer.  A goofy thing to do, if you ask me, but hardly to the level of holding seances to talk with the dead.

I think it's exactly the same level.   

Since when do they have seances with dead people in the paper or in the back of your Cosmo?  Totally different animal.

And the person who said that NR is batshitcrazy, needs to explain themselves.  What pray tell has she done to earn that statement? 

Valerie ~Charlotte Adele 4.26.05~ ~Audrey Irene 12.19.2006~
  • To me, to contact an astrologer to talk to your dead husband is batshitcrazy.  A seance might actually be less nuts.  Maybe.  But probably not.
  • image magnoliablossom:

Since when do they have seances with dead people in the paper or in the back of your Cosmo?? Totally different animal.

And the person who said that NR is batshitcrazy, needs to explain themselves.? What pray tell has she done to earn that statement??

No, they're not precisely the same, but they're equally stupid. ?Actually consulting an astrologer is alarming. ?I agree with the batshitcrazy comment.?

• image amy052006:
    To me, to contact an astrologer to talk to your dead husband is batshitcrazy.  A seance might actually be less nuts.  Maybe.  But probably not.

What the devil are you talking about?  Nancy had an astrologer come to the White House in the 80's to help plan her husbands schedule after the attempt on his life, not to get in touch with her dead husband. 

But I forget, you were probably 3 when that was going on.

• I can't believe you think that is any less crazy.
  • image amy052006:
    I can't believe you think that is any less crazy.

It is not what I would do, but to each their own.  It isn't the same as trying to get in touch with a dead husband like some of you assumed. 

I understand that the Lincolns held seances and so did Hillary Clinton while in the White House.  If NR is bsc, then these people are too. 

• image amy052006:

I'm so glad we have a board for ever bitter poster to nit-pick every little thing. 

The guy has a personality, and he and I seem to have similar definitions of batshitcrazy, so I'm ok with it.

If this was McCain you would do the same thing.

• image jstokes:
    image amy052006:

I'm so glad we have a board for ever bitter poster to nit-pick every little thing. 

If this was McCain you would do the same thing.

I guess we'll never know, will we?

Happy Spring!.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really didn't know what he was talking about when he said this.  Now that I do, yes, it was a stupid thing to say.  I've said dumb things without thinking and felt like a tool afterward too.  At least he had the grace to apologize.  Hopefully he doesn't have too many of these slipups, which embarrass both him and those who elected him.
  • image magnoliablossom:

image amy052006:
    I can't believe you think that is any less crazy.

It is not what I would do, but to each their own.  It isn't the same as trying to get in touch with a dead husband like some of you assumed. 

I understand that the Lincolns held seances and so did Hillary Clinton while in the White House.  If NR is bsc, then these people are too. 

Is this true about Hillary and seances?  I must find out.  How could that knowledge be out there and not ever used against her? (at least that I've heard)

"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • image _Fenton:

Is this true about Hillary and seances?  I must find out.  How could that knowledge be out there and not ever used against her? (at least that I've heard)

In his 1996 book, "The Choice," Washington Post editor and writer Bob Woodward said that as first lady, Sen. Hillary Clinton had seance-like sessions at the White House during which she conversed with late first lady Eleanor Roosevelt. At the time, the White House said the sessions were not seances.

From www.cnn.com

• image debJustDeb:
    image _Fenton:

Is this true about Hillary and seances?? I must find out.? How could that knowledge be out there and not ever used against her? (at least that I've heard)

In his 1996 book, "The Choice," Washington Post editor and writer Bob Woodward said that as first lady, Sen. Hillary Clinton had seance-like sessions at the White House during which she conversed with late first lady Eleanor Roosevelt. At the time, the White House said the sessions were not seances.

From www.cnn.com

If Bob Woodward is for real (and at the time, he was busy pimping the Bush admin), that's kinda nuts. ?I'd be interested in hearing more about it. It doesn't *sound* like Hillary, but if it's true, I will have lost respect for her.?

• image debJustDeb:
    image _Fenton:

From www.cnn.com

Oh wow.  Bitches_ is crazy, both Nancy and Hills.

I agree Obama's comment was in poor taste, but it probably wouldn't have registered with anyone had it not been about His Royal Majesty, the Son of Jesus Ronald Reagan.

"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • image magnoliablossom:

image amy052006:
    To me, to contact an astrologer to talk to your dead husband is batshitcrazy.  A seance might actually be less nuts.  Maybe.  But probably not.

What the devil are you talking about?  Nancy had an astrologer come to the White House in the 80's to help plan her husbands schedule after the attempt on his life, not to get in touch with her dead husband. 

But I forget, you were probably 3 when that was going on.

Actually she was in contact with that famous astrologist who advised FDR before the attempt on Reagan...Nancy actually credited the fact he survived that to her daily consulations with the astrologer...at least that is what the History Channel tells me...I was 3 at that time...actually, I wasn't alive the whole time...only half his predsidency

• She's an 87 year old woman that has been struggling with health issues.  Rude flippant comments her are completely classless. 

• I just love how all the news articles are headlined "Obama apologizes for Seance Comment". ?Not "Obama Makes Rude/Inaccurate Seance Comment." ?Can you imagine if McCain had made a similar comment about Hillary and her actual seances? ?Methinks the headline would be different.
    7/21/2007 :)

imageimageimage

Deductive reasoning isn't a conservative or liberal attribute. ~epphd
  • OMG... people say stupid things that come out wrong or were inappropriate for a public domain, and then they apologize. whatever. It happens... and will happen. Are you going to post every stupid thing he says for the next 4 years? Because if we did that for Bush, this board would be NOTHING else.

Get over it...Music 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I expect it will be the first of many -- and it was at his first presser!  He can't do impromptu speaking....we know this.
  • image magnoliablossom:

Nancy had an astrologer come to the White House in the 80's to help plan her husbands schedule?

Yes, and I say this is borderline whack-job behavior. ?Are you seriously defending this??

?I think people need to chill - if a public figure does something nutty, they shouldn't be absolved from being called on it.?

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • image BrideJaye:

OMG... people say stupid things that come out wrong or were inappropriate for a public domain, and then they apologize. whatever. It happens... and will happen. Are you going to post every stupid thing he says for the next 4 years? Because if we did that for Bush, this board would be NOTHING else.

Get over it...Music 

I agree, you know kinda like the incessant posts about Sarah Palin and all the things she said/did during the campaign. Oh, and people did do it for Bush. Where have you been? Pot meet kettle. 

• Bush said things so stupid our entire country blushed whenever he took the podium. NOT saying anything about it would be nearly impossible. Of course people will be critical of Obama because they're presidisposed to dislike him. Not because he's an idiot like el presidento.