Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Beach Themed Decor

My grandma recently passed away and I am partially in charge of planning her service. She did not like flowers and told me not to have them there and instead, have beachy type decor so it would remind us of California, which is where she is from. I only know of Hobby Lobby, and their selection really varies by store, so is there anywhere else I can look for things like seashells, vases, sand, etc? Any recommended shops either in Austin or online like ebay/etsy? Thanks.

Re: Beach Themed Decor

• I'm so sorry for your loss, and I love the idea of a beach themed memorial to remember her by.

What kinds of decor items do you want? There's definitely some cute stuff on Etsy but it might get a little pricey depending on how many things you're looking for.

Goodwill always seems to have a good selection of vases in different sizes/shapes/colors. If you need a lot of sand, I would just buy a few big bags at Home Depot (like you would use for a sand box).

• I never thought about Home Depot for sand, thanks for the tip.

For beach stuff, I was thinking of the traditional stuff. Seashells, starfish, and some sparkly twigs to attach them to and then put them in the vases. I saw some on Etsy but like you said, it can get expensive pretty fast. 

Thank you for the kind words. My grandma was practically my mom (she raised me and lived with us her whole life), but when she was diagnosed with colon cancer last year she really took it all in stride and joked around a lot until the very end about it. Like a boss. I'm just glad she isn't suffering or in pain anymore. 

• These kind of rocks (they come in different colors - blue, green, teal and white would be nice) are on sale sometimes at Hobby Lobby and would be bright and colorful:

• I'm sorry for your loss.  She sounds like a super strong and wonderful woman.  

For beach themed decor - I would maybe consider getting some large canvases and just paint some very simple blue lines.  They can be really simple but give a very 'beachy' feel.  

I know it sounds crazy but we did a craft with little ones with sand and the pasta shells and different color beans and put it in a vase with sand and it looked really great.  I also like those beautiful colored rocks pp posted.   

• I am sorry for your loss as well.  It sounds like she was a wonderful person.

As far as decor, I would check out Homegoods. They usually have a nice selection of beachy decor. 

• dollar tree also has some things you might be able to use.  i know they have the marbles for sure.

eta: i was at big lots yesterday, and i remember them having bags of shells and other beach themed decor.  their prices are usually quite reasonable.  sorry to hear about your grandma.  :(