Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

***GM ladies: Need advice***

Hi ladies-

I attempted my first GM this morning.  It was not very successful.  There are some things that I need to work on as far as execution go, but I need some advice on the flavor.

Currently, I am using almond milk and frozen blueberries.  For the most part, I couldn't taste the spinach, but the flavor was blah.  I expected it to taste fruity and it did not.

Should I add more blueberries (used about 1/2 cup)? Any suggestions on other fruit for better flavor?

***Let me preface my fruit issues:  I am allergic to strawberries and have a mild aversion to bananas.

TIA for any advice you have!

Re: ***GM ladies: Need advice***

• Can you do raspberries? I love the flavor of them. Peaches are also excellent this time of year if you buy fresh. I also have a mild aversion to bananas...lol.

If you are using unsweetened almond milk it sometimes help just to add in a little sugar or artificial sweetener. It sweetens it just enough.

How much milk did you use?

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/lesalyric/15349_591037319564_25305541_34753593_3721279_n-1.jpg[/IMG]

TTC#1 since 1/2011

1/2012: Fertility workup including SA/HSG - no issues. DX: Unexplained

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

IVF#1 = BFP - ER 12/6, ET 12/11 - 20R, 15M, 14F - 2 transferred, 2 frozen

Betas: #1(9dp5dt)-50, #2(13dp5dt)-467, #3(16dp5dt)-839, #4(20dp5dt)-1825

Saw HB - 7w1d, missed m/c - 9w1d

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • I used 8 ozs. of milk.  Should I use less? Honestly, I am not sure it if was sweetened or not.  I got the vanilla kind so I assumed sweetened.

Peach is a good idea. I would just have to get DH to peel it for me!  I have quirks about that fuzzy skin, too.  (I might need to see a doctor about these food quirks!)

• I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and usually add 1/4 tsp truvia if not using banana.  I would recommend frozen mango or pineapple.  I love doing pineapple with coconut water instead of milk and then topping with shredded coconut.  I agree raspberries and peaches are a good combo as well.
  • Not GM related but I used to take yogurt (sometimes plain, sometimes vanilla) and mix it with fruit in the blender.  The only fruit I had issue with was blueberries, something was very off about it every time I tried it. 
  • image saramc27:

I used 8 ozs. of milk.  Should I use less? Honestly, I am not sure it if was sweetened or not.  I got the vanilla kind so I assumed sweetened.

Peach is a good idea. I would just have to get DH to peel it for me!  I have quirks about that fuzzy skin, too.  (I might need to see a doctor about these food quirks!)

No I use 8 oz too, so you are good there. I have vanilla almond milk and mine is unsweetened, so it could really be either. If it is unsweetened you might need some sweeter fruits or some form of sweetener.

ITA with BL about pineapple. That stuff is delicious in everything.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/lesalyric/15349_591037319564_25305541_34753593_3721279_n-1.jpg[/IMG]

TTC#1 since 1/2011

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • Hmmm, I think you definitely need more fruit.  I've decided my favorite combo is blueberry-pineapple-banana but if you don't like banana just try it with the pineapple.

I made mine with vanilla soy milk this morning but I definitely prefer the sweeter almond milk.  However, almond milk has virtually no protein so I think I'm going to alternate.

I tried one Friday where I just dumped in all the fruit I had including blackberries and raspberries but I didn't like it --I was spitting out seeds the whole time.

And finally--I made mine today and drank it before my workout (Bodypump) and oh man what a difference!  I will NEVER work out on an empty stomach again.  I felt so much better and I know it helped without a doubt.  So this is my new routine.

Oh and one more thing--on Friday I tried frozen fruit and decided I like cold fresh fruit much better.  So try it with fresh fruit next time.

• image stephiehall:

Hmmm, I think you definitely need more fruit.  I've decided my favorite combo is blueberry-pineapple-banana but if you don't like banana just try it with the pineapple.

I made mine with vanilla soy milk this morning but I definitely prefer the sweeter almond milk.  However, almond milk has virtually no protein so I think I'm going to alternate.

I tried one Friday where I just dumped in all the fruit I had including blackberries and raspberries but I didn't like it --I was spitting out seeds the whole time.

And finally--I made mine today and drank it before my workout (Bodypump) and oh man what a difference!  I will NEVER work out on an empty stomach again.  I felt so much better and I know it helped without a doubt.  So this is my new routine.

Oh and one more thing--on Friday I tried frozen fruit and decided I like cold fresh fruit much better.  So try it with fresh fruit next time.

I alternate mine with cows milk for this reason.

TTC#1 since 1/2011

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • I agree with what the others said.  I just don't think you have enough fruit in there.  I have been doing a whole banana and then half a cup of blueberries and it tasted fruity to me.  I know you don't like bananas, so putting another fruit in there would probably make it taste better.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
    ~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
    TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
    Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
    Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
    Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
    Baby N born 5/9/14
  • Thanks so much ladies.  I will try adding another fruit into the mix.

Since my morning time is limited, I will check out what other frozen fruits are offered that I am interested in.

• msealemseale member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

You may also want to try an apple.  They will add a bit of sweetness and fruityness to the GM.  I agree with the others 1/2c of blueberries is not enough for me.  I like adding blueberries for the nutrients, but I do not think they add much flavor.

To everyone else, have you tried adding fresh mint to yours?  I have a plant out back and have been adding mint to almost everything lately. It is delicious!

DH and FIL are adding onto our deck and were working so hard this weekend.  I made a smoothie with watermelon, blueberries, cucumber, mint, and some ground ginger (fresh would have been better if I had it).  I peeled and cut a cucumber into thirds.  Then scooped out the middle to make a "shooter".  I froze it, then made the watermelon puree and filled them with it.  Delicious!  They loved it after working in the heat, and it looked so pretty.

Our last sunset in Hawaii... Honeymoon 2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
    IUI - 10/29/2014, BFP! EDD: 7/22/2015
  • I think that at the next G2G we need to have a GM tasting.  Not whole ones for everyone, but just little shooters of them.  So many of you love them, that I might have to try them... but I'd probably be unable to drink it if I actually made it myself.  I am a total weirdo when it comes to food.
  • image angieandjames:
    I think that at the next G2G we need to have a GM tasting.  Not whole ones for everyone, but just little shooters of them.  So many of you love them, that I might have to try them... but I'd probably be unable to drink it if I actually made it myself.  I am a total weirdo when it comes to food.

If I host book club sometime soon we will definitely do this. :)

TTC#1 since 1/2011

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • Yes I would love to try these at a book club meeting!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic