Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

gardeners - best planting times?

DH has been talking about making some raised beds for a while now. We want to get started, but I am a total novice gardener / black thumb and he doesn't know much about gardening in TX. If you have a garden, what do you grow and when do you plant? What grows well in our area? 
Business Cat. image

Re: gardeners - best planting times?

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    Seventh Anniversary

This calendar has been really helpful to me. 

http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetable-Planting-Calendar/zone-8-vegetable-planting-calendar/

Also, I was an extreme veggie/flower/any-plant-life gardening newb, that I needed a lot of hand holding.  The Natural Gardener (out in Oak Hill) has been a great resource for me. 

• Sweet. Thanks for the link and rec!
    Business Cat. image
  • That is a good link!  

I typically try to get the summer plants in the ground March/ April.  Not much will do well this late in the summer.  In September I will start on the fall plants.  

I've been too lazy thus far to start seedlings inside and bring them out later. I just plant seeds and see what grows. (see: failed carrots) 

• Its too hot and late in the year to plant anything right now but go ahead and build your beds so they are ready for fall/winter veggies.  You should start the seeds inside around early September and start planting them in late September (although if this heat keeps up it might be better in October).  Have fun!