Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bulldog + Heat + Exercise?

CurlyQ284CurlyQ284 member
My bulldog Lucy is having a tough time with this heat. We are walking the pups a short distance, 10-15 minutes in the evening when its cooled off some. She's still having a rough time. We walked her 1.5 hours ago, she's still breathing a little heavy. Granted our house is a little warm, AC will be looked at tomorrow, but its still taking a while to recover. We're trying to manage weight but I feel bad for her trying to recover from.the heat AND she looks forward to the walks, so she might get sad if we just took the other pup and she stayed home. WWYD? Keep doing what we're doing? Or only take her out for potty breaks in the summer?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bulldog + Heat + Exercise?

• Is there any way you can take her first thing in the morning? We don't get real hot here, but our foster gets too hot on late evening walks. If we got first thing in the morning (between 5 and 7) she's just fine.
    image image
  • I don't have the bennefit of a/c, and today was the first really hot day. all 5 of mine are acting like they're dying, even with bowls of water, ice cubes, and frozen konngs
  • image KatelynS07:
    Is there any way you can take her first thing in the morning? We don't get real hot here, but our foster gets too hot on late evening walks. If we got first thing in the morning (between 5 and 7) she's just fine.
    I guess I could do this. I've been thinking about doing this as an extra walk, rather than "instead of" but that make sense.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Brachycephalic breeds are the worst with the hot weather.  I would really limit her outside activity.  I've seen too many come in with heat exhaustion, not able to breathe & in need of a tracheostomy. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"Cherish your furbabies today because there might not be a tomorrow"

Heaven has another angel. RIP Bubba 2/15/09 - 9 Months Old

Godspeed Apache "Boo Boo" 2/2/09 - 2 1/2 Years Old
    Rest in peace my sweet Angel. 11/05/08 - 2 Years Old

• You can press a cold compress (or ice pack over a towel) over the bald part of her belly and also wet around her neck area to cool her down more quickly.

I'd also recommend the majority of walking early in the morning before the heat/sun comes up. I have a big hairy saint bernard and he gets most exercise in the morning and then late in the evening, usually as the sun is setting. I try to minimize the amount of time he is outside during the hours of 8am to 8pm.