Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Puppy is having diarrhea in her crate....

I'm guessing from anxiety. I don't know what to do. We've been working with her since day one and she is not getting any better at it. This past weekend she wasn't even in her crate 20 minutes before she had diarrhea'd all over her crate and herself. 

No way she needed to eliminate. She had total free reign of the yard to potty before, plus she does this every time she's in the crate.

I don't know what to do. It makes me sad, so I've been leaving her just in the living room while we're at work. She doesn't have accidents while we're gone. She's basically potty trained, besides some accidents by the back door.

I'm willing to try anything. 

Re: Puppy is having diarrhea in her crate....

• Have you actually crate trained her? Not just put her in there and called it good.

Have you changed her food lately? Has she been unattended outside at all? 

image image
  • We've been giving her treats in her crate and some mental stimulation toys a blankie and a stuffie in her crate.

No change in food at all.

She's never unattended outside. She's walked on leash 4 times a day. For at least 20-30 minutes  

• Giving her treats in her crate is not exactly crate training. Have you read the crate training info in our FAQs?
    image image
  • I've just been crate training her, per our trainers advice. Giving her free reign into her crate, giving her treats and making it a happy place to spend time. She's fine, until I shut the front door and then she's super upset. She's pretty good at night. I still sleep with my fingers in her crate or she gets upset. Some nights it gets pretty bad, so she sleeps with us. Which I know is bad, but I love her snuggles. 
  • You're just going to continue showing her that she will get what she wants if you let her out of her crate to sleep with you or put your fingers in her crate at night. I would look into the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. Has she been getting enough exercise and mental stimulation?
    image image
  • Get her a DAP collar for the time being as well.
    [IMG]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af289/HollyWalter/DSCF0058-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image KatelynS07:
    You're just going to continue showing her that she will get what she wants if you let her out of her crate to sleep with you or put your fingers in her crate at night. I would look into the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. Has she been getting enough exercise and mental stimulation?

I disagree with this as far as the fingers go for a baby.  That is one method that people use with puppies to let them quietly know that you are there.  You don't let them out, you don't talk, but you can comfort, which a lot of the puppy advice that I read included this for babies.

As for the OP, I would do some more conditioning with the crate when you are home.  Only let the puppy out, when she is quiet.  I wouldn't let her out when she is barking as that will encourage the behavior.  Continue to make the crate a happy place.  Vary your leaving and coming home routine so that the puppy doesn't become upset by those things.  I leave a radio on when I am gone for added noise, you could also try having the room by dark or leaving lights on, see what the puppy prefers.  Try to find a quiet location away from outdoor noises for the crate during the day.  I would also try to vary the amount of time that you are gone.  Just leave for a few minutes, then calmly come back and act like nothing happened. 

It sounds like this is often happening when you are home now so it may be that you are paying attention to the barking and making a fuss in the crate and that reinforces the behavior.  I think you can try to sooth a bit without letting her out of the crate.  You could also try some special yummy treats in the crate while you are home to make it an extra good place.  Not all dogs love the crate, mine really doesn't go in it when we are home in the evening except for food.  But he does willingly go in, goes on command, and does go in his crate some on his own to sleep at night.  Some dogs love going in the crate so it just depends.  In general, I think you just want to keep the dog calm in there and only reward the calm behavior.

Just to be sure, you aren't using the crate for punishment in any way right?  You don't really want to even end play time and put the puppy in the crate immediately, otherwise she might think of it as a negative thing.

My puppy went through a period of getting upset in his crate and having accidents in it.  It can be common as puppies start to adjust with being away from their littermates and then being away from you.  In the beginning when we first came home, he was fine and he was fine at night but we had some issues during the day.  I found that setting up a video feed and figuring out when he was having issues was helpful. 

You can try things like Rescue Remedy as well to take the edge off, but I wouldn't panic yet.  With puppies, it can just take more time to adjust and build confidence.  Continue to work on training, NILF, getting plenty of exercise, and working on fun mental games and tricks to help her learn and build your bond as a team.

Also, if you don't already, I would feed in the crate and make sure that there isn't bedding in the crate and use a divider if necessary to make the crate smaller.

My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • image TheLinkBride:

image KatelynS07:
    You're just going to continue showing her that she will get what she wants if you let her out of her crate to sleep with you or put your fingers in her crate at night. I would look into the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. Has she been getting enough exercise and mental stimulation?

I disagree with this as far as the fingers go for a baby.  That is one method that people use with puppies to let them quietly know that you are there.  You don't let them out, you don't talk, but you can comfort, which a lot of the puppy advice that I read included this for babies.

I should have been more specific-I had made the assumption(perhaps incorrectly), that if she was letting her out at night when she was upset, she wasn't necessarily laying their silently with her fingers in the crate. I had the feeling based on the other details she has given that she may have been giving the pup additional attention on top of the fingers in the crate, therefore reinforcing the pup being upset and getting let out of the crate.

image image