North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dog Ladies

I need some advice y'all.

Gus is not potty trained... at all.

We got him a crate on Saturday. Before that, he'd slept 2 nights in Kayne's crate (Kayne sleeps in the bedroom with us... crate is for when we aren't home) & held it all night. We put him in his crate Saturday night & woke up Sunday & Monday mornings to pee in it. Angry So I consulted Twitter & was told to put a divider in his crate so he only has enough room to turn around & lay down. Done.

I discussed his lack of potty training with LB & she suggested we tether Gus to us so we can catch him in the act. We successfully caught him TWICE (pee & poop, little shiit) Saturday morning. Yesterday we took him out every 30 minutes & he didn't pee or poop. He did drink water during that time. He's just a little fuucking camel. At 5 pm, we had dinner plans, so in his newly divided crate he went.

When we got home about 8:30, he'd pooped in the corner. I took him outside & he promptly peed. We cheered him on & gave him a treat after. We continued to take him out every 30 minutes until bedtime & he went into his crate to sleep. But he didn't do anything. Just sniffed around. He doesn't even mark territory...

This morning? Nothing in the crate. I took him outside & nothing. DH took him outside again before he left & nothing. Looks like Gussy is going to have a long day.

I have never dealt with a dog that goes so little! Kayne could seriously go pee every half an hour, so there was plenty of opportunity to train/teach/praise him. How do you train when they hardly go?!

FWIW, we took him to the vet Saturday to get all his shots & they said he was healthy. We also think he's about 6 months old based on the tooth I found in our bed Saturday morning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dog Ladies

• I don't know what his background is but sometimes dogs don't necessarily associate going outside with peeing/pooping. I know he likes to hold it but maybe you can teach him a pee/poop command. When you see him do the stance and you know he's about to go, give a command like "potty" and treat/praise like crazy. Eventually he will understand that potty means to well, potty. He will know he has a purpose in going outside, it's not just play time.

• DH & I were actually talking about this... & we can't even figure out his "poopy walk". Both Cosmo & Kayne have a very distinct poopy walk, but we can't figure out Gussy's. You have to watch him like a hawk too to make sure he actually pees. He doesn't lift a leg, doesn't squat... Just slightly moves his hips & starts peeing. He's a weirdo. A cutie, but a weirdo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image brittjoy84:

I don't know what his background is but sometimes dogs don't necessarily associate going outside with peeing/pooping. I know he likes to hold it but maybe you can teach him a pee/poop command. When you see him do the stance and you know he's about to go, give a command like "potty" and treat/praise like crazy. Eventually he will understand that potty means to well, potty. He will know he has a purpose in going outside, it's not just play time.

As well as this, there are some dogs that don't associate the crate with their clean place. Since you have no idea what his history is he might be one of those dogs. Especially if a dog has spent a large portion of time with a grated bottom when they just go and it falls through. Teether him to you, go out every 30 mins and keep to the crate with lots of treats and praise. You're doing everything right, it just takes longer for some dogs.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos