Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

It is the small victories in life....

Our dog pooped and peed twice on our new carpet today.

However, she didn't nearly bite my arm off, bite off my face, chew up a shoe, or tear a substantial hole in a piece of my clothing.

Great day!!!!!!!!

Re: It is the small victories in life....

• Have you had luck removing the pee? I found the most awesome way to do it and it totally worked on the dog pee spot (now I just need a blacklight to find the rest...I'm scared of this, for obvious reasons). It should work on the cat spots, but they are a little more extensive. Let me know if you want to know it--it's really easy, but gross, and uses things you probably already have Smile Oh, and it's cheap!!!
    [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • Sounds like you have your hands full!
  • image fuzzylogic:
    Have you had luck removing the pee? I found the most awesome way to do it and it totally worked on the dog pee spot (now I just need a blacklight to find the rest...I'm scared of this, for obvious reasons). It should work on the cat spots, but they are a little more extensive. Let me know if you want to know it--it's really easy, but gross, and uses things you probably already have Smile Oh, and it's cheap!!!

Well, we had the carpet replaced - we also had the little nail thingies that hold the carpet down replaced as well.  So, I think the cat pee stuff is taken care of.  In that one area, if I get my nose really close to the floor, I think I can still smell it but DH claims he can't. I have an usually sensitive sniffer so I hope that is it.

Anyway - VERY interested in knowing your new little secret trick - please tell me what it is!!!!

• Did you treat the sub floor under the carpet before reinstalling? If you feel like you smell something, that might be it.

Okay, here's the trick: Mix together 50-50 white vinegar and water. Pour it over the spot and let it sit for just a little bit. Come back, and get as much moisture out as possible. I used my Little Green as a shopvac to suction up as much as I could. I swear, it pulled up more than I put down (I think it was pulling from the carpet pad, too). I really dug down and got as much out as I could. Then come back and sprinkle with baking soda, and drizzle with a mixture of 3 TBSP 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp dish detergent (like Dawn). (Test for color fastness first) Wearing rubber gloves, scrub it into the fibers. Scrub scrub scrub with your fingertips. Let it sit until dry, then vacuum up the powder.

The scrubbing is the gross part. The baking soda turned YELLOW over the dog pee spot, I am not kidding. We got a new steam cleaner and went over it and it looks fine!

We also got a blacklight so we can go over again when it's dark and make sure we got it all. Now we just have to do our offices. Yaaaaaaay. 

• Yes, we treated the subfloor with two entire bottles of Nature's Miracle - this is why I was so frustrated last week - I didn't feel like I was getting the subfloor unsmelly.  I decided the smell was in the carpet nail thingies so we had them replaced and when the carpet people pulled those up - meow, they smelled awful.

I am finding dog pee everywhere. Was painting in the guest room, stepped on something and sure enough, it was yellow right there - dog pee.  We can't figure out how she is doing this.  We keep her with us AT ALL TIMES because we can't trust her.  Potty training is clearly not going well at all.  I have spent most of the day scrubbing various spots in our NEW carpet and now my biceps hurt like a b!tch.  Our new carpet is extremely thick; I have noticed that the pee just hovers on the top rather than soaking in which is good. Still a pain in the keester, though.

Anyhoo, I am going to try the method you posted above.  I love gross stuff that is cool so this is right up my alley!

• LOL I kind of like the gross stuff, too. I became a woman obsessed the last few days of last week trying to get all that out.

Is your new carpet scotch-guarded? Maybe that's why it's not soaking in too much?

Do you crate train the puppy? Maybe get some wee-wee pads from Petsmart and at the very least train her to use those. 

• image fuzzylogic:

LOL I kind of like the gross stuff, too. I became a woman obsessed the last few days of last week trying to get all that out.

Is your new carpet scotch-guarded? Maybe that's why it's not soaking in too much?

Do you crate train the puppy? Maybe get some wee-wee pads from Petsmart and at the very least train her to use those. 

She is crate trained.   But for whatever reason, she gets not to use the bathroom in her crate but everywhere else appears to be fair game.  The amounts of pee that I am finding are very small - so I wonder if she just doesn't get excited and piddle a little or something?  Like I said, we keep her with us at all times so we are pretty bumfuzzled as to how she is getting away from us to do this.  But it is definitely her and not one of the cats (trust me, I get my nose in it everytime to take a whiff).

• She might be a submissive urinator. Some of the spots I found were very, very tiny. Dribbles. Callie would submissively urinate (and still does, on occasion) there for awhile when she was still newish to the home.

She also might dribble when she gets excited! I had a dog that would just pee all over the back steps when you went outside to see her. It was like a river (big basset hound mix...big bladder!). So funny but sad.  

• image stripesandspots:

We can't figure out how she is doing this.  We keep her with us AT ALL TIMES because we can't trust her.  Potty training is clearly not going well at all.

Our dogs had been outside dogs before we adopted them, so they weren't housebroken either. Even though we thought they were in a room with us, they were good at sneaking to the guest room to pee when we got distracted for a minute. We ended up shutting the doors to all the bedrooms and bathrooms so they could only be in the same room with us. Then it was much easier to catch them in the act and correct them.

image image
  • Dogs will often pee in a room or space that isn't used very often, like a guest bedroom or in our case, the dining room (even though her crate and food/water were in there!). Shutting doors is definitely helpful! We're trying to get better about that, for both the dog and the cats.