Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm watching Dr. Drew

And there's a 13 year old girl and her mother on there.  The 13 year old girl apparently made a Facebook status that was something along the lines of "I wish Osama bin Laden had killed (teacher's name) instead of the 3000 people in the twin towers".

The school's principal was notified of the status and immediately suspended the girl.  The girl and her mother believe this is ridiculous and that she's a victim of unfair punishment.

What do you think?  Dr. Drew thought this girl was mistreated and unfairly punished.  He told the girl he felt sorry for her that she was having to go through some grief over this and that people are being hateful toward her now.  She said in the interview that she made the status update, didn't really think much about it and figured it would just go away like all of her other status updates.

FWIW, this girl is super cute and her momma was PISSED.  She accepted responsibility that her daughter shouldn't have written what she did, but she felt that her daughter's punishment was overkill.

What do you think?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I'm watching Dr. Drew

• Interesting.

While the status update was extremely inappropriate, it doesn't sound like it warranted suspension. Lots of 13-year-olds I've known tend to say crazy, dramatic things from time to time, that doesn't mean they'd ever act on those things, or that they even *really* mean them. I could understand getting reprimanded by the principal, or being assigned a few mandatory counseling sessions, but suspension seems like a bit much.

• It's difficult for administrators when students take their school lives on the internet. While I believe administrators should, the vast majority of the time, stay out of things like Facebook, the girl needs to learn, somehow, that saying something like that is incredibly inappropriate and hurtful. It doesn't just "go away" like her other status updates. They are there pretty much forever.
    [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • Facebook brings this whole new dynamic to being a kid. I mean when I was 13, I could have said something like that to my friends, we all would have laughed and talked about how her tests were so hard and she wore ugly shirts and that would have been the end of it. We all would have known that none of us really wanted her dead, we were just mad about the pop quiz.

today, kids have to realize that what they post online is there forever and I think that is hard to understand at 13. She may have felt more like she was just telling her friends on the playground and that makes the whole thing hard. I think suspension is a little extreme, but I understand that the schools want to take things like this seriously, especially after school shootings and such.

this kind of stuff just makes me want to keep my kids little forever. Parenting a teenager scares me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image ShansBride:
    Facebook brings this whole new dynamic to being a kid. I mean when I was 13, I could have said something like that to my friends, we all would have laughed and talked about how her tests were so hard and she wore ugly shirts and that would have been the end of it. We all would have known that none of us really wanted her dead, we were just mad about the pop quiz.

today, kids have to realize that what they post online is there forever and I think that is hard to understand at 13. She may have felt more like she was just telling her friends on the playground and that makes the whole thing hard. I think suspension is a little extreme, but I understand that the schools want to take things like this seriously, especially after school shootings and such.

this kind of stuff just makes me want to keep my kids little forever. Parenting a teenager scares me.

I agree with this. Suspending her was pretty extreme. I think they should have had her talk to a counselor. I think she has a problem on how to appropriatley express her feelings. I understand that a 13-year-old does not understand the severity of saying something like this and the school had to take action on punishing her, but I think they could have handled it a little better. I'm wondering how is this girl going to learn anything by just having to stay home for a while.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • image ShansBride:

This.  Suspension may seem harsh, but any form of a threat has to be taken seriously--you never know which kid will be the one to act on it or the one to take it to the next level.  Plus, while suspension may be harsh, it's one of the only forms of punishment that gets both the student's and the parent's attention.  

• image ShansBride:

I agree. While suspension seems a little extreme, I think she should have some type of punishment.

Does this post remind anyone else of the song people used to sing to the tune of Joy to the World?: "Joy to the world, my teacher's dead. We barbequed her head. Don't worry about the body, we flushed it down the potty, and around and around it goes. And around and around it goes. And around, around, around it goes."

Kaylee & Cole 06.14.08

8/6/11 First 5k! OG&E Expo Run 34:47
    9/3/11 Brookhaven Run 5k 34:18
    9/17/11 Healthy Sooners Fun Run 5k 33:38
    10/15/11 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 33:31
    10/29/11 Monster Dash 5k 32:06 PR!
    11/11/11 Veteran's Day Run 11k in Dallas 1:13:15 Instant PR!
    1/28/12 Texas Half Marathon 2:38:03 Instant PR!
    3/25/12 Earlywine Dash
  • It seems more violent than that song, to me, though. Specific and violent. Said out of anger.
  • I totally remember that song. We would sing it randomly, giggle and move on. Of course, Facebook/Twitter add this whole new dynamic to things. I'm also super nervous about parenting a teenager...sigh.

Anyway, I agree with the "suspension was too harsh, but she should have been punished in some way" thinking. With cyber bullying, Internet threats etc., it's so hard to know what's real and what's fake. I don't think the girl meant that she wanted her teacher dead, but I can see it being seen as a threat. And she should be held responsible for her actions and know that what she said isn't OK. But suspension? Nope.

[url=http://charmedkindoflife.blogspot.com/].:.Charmed Kind of Life [2.17.13].:.[/url]
  • image fuzzylogic:
    It seems more violent than that song, to me, though. Specific and violent. Said out of anger.

I didn't mean to imply that the song is equally/more violent than the FB status. I definitely think the status was more violent (mainly since she specifically named a teacher). It just reminded me of the song and I was curious if anyone else sang that song when they were young. I don't think we ever directed that song at any particular teacher, it was just "fun" to sing.

Kaylee & Cole 06.14.08

8/6/11 First 5k! OG&E Expo Run 34:47
    9/3/11 Brookhaven Run 5k 34:18
    9/17/11 Healthy Sooners Fun Run 5k 33:38
    10/15/11 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 33:31
    10/29/11 Monster Dash 5k 32:06 PR!
    11/11/11 Veteran's Day Run 11k in Dallas 1:13:15 Instant PR!
    1/28/12 Texas Half Marathon 2:38:03 Instant PR!
    3/25/12 Earlywine Dash
  • image kayleeb:

image fuzzylogic:
    It seems more violent than that song, to me, though. Specific and violent. Said out of anger.

I didn't mean to imply that the song is equally/more violent than the FB status. I definitely think the status was more violent (mainly since she specifically named a teacher). It just reminded me of the song and I was curious if anyone else sang that song when they were young. I don't think we ever directed that song at any particular teacher, it was just "fun" to sing.

I remember singing that song AND directing it at a specific teacher. Ha. And on a scale of 1-10, 10 being 'violent,' I was like a 1.

I think in cases like this FB status thing, you have to look at it in context. Was the girl violent in general? Had she had other instances of threats or had she hurt others in the past? I'm not suggesting that she isn't dangerous just because she hasn't been in the past, but I think kids deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially when it pertains to something trivial like a FB status update.

• I guess I'm in the minority here, because I believe the school has no choice but to put their teachers and students safety first and foremost.  This girls status wasn't kind of out of line...it was very out of line. (IMO) She HAS to know that saying she wishes her specific teacher dead as a result of a terrorist isn't exactly acceptable.  So she got suspended.  I really think that she should have her Facebook account removed by her mother and be forced to attend counseling sessions...and apologize-in person-to the teacher for what she said.

I really think if you don't get it in this brat's head NOW, she's just going to continue to make what she believes are flippant comments that are actually highly inappropriate.  From hearing the interview with Dr. Drew and the mother, they were both coddling the girl and felt so sowwy for her because she was losing friends over this.

When I was 13, I knew not to say stuff like this.  7th grade is high time to realize that words offend people and Facebook isn't something you use to be hurtful.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image BoyMom21:

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I believe the school has no choice but to put their teachers and students safety first and foremost.  This girls status wasn't kind of out of line...it was very out of line. (IMO) She HAS to know that saying she wishes her specific teacher dead as a result of a terrorist isn't exactly acceptable.  So she got suspended.  I really think that she should have her Facebook account removed by her mother and be forced to attend counseling sessions...and apologize-in person-to the teacher for what she said.

I really think if you don't get it in this brat's head NOW, she's just going to continue to make what she believes are flippant comments that are actually highly inappropriate.  From hearing the interview with Dr. Drew and the mother, they were both coddling the girl and felt so sowwy for her because she was losing friends over this.

When I was 13, I knew not to say stuff like this.  7th grade is high time to realize that words offend people and Facebook isn't something you use to be hurtful.

Thank you--I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought suspension was an appropriate punishment.
  • image BoyMom21:

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I believe the school has no choice but to put their teachers and students safety first and foremost.  This girls status wasn't kind of out of line...it was very out of line. (IMO) She HAS to know that saying she wishes her specific teacher dead as a result of a terrorist isn't exactly acceptable.  So she got suspended.  I really think that she should have her Facebook account removed by her mother and be forced to attend counseling sessions...and apologize-in person-to the teacher for what she said.

This times 1000. Threats to state employees aren't taken lightly.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2cz1p2b.jpg[/IMG]
    DannyandAllison's Bio
  • image BoyMom21:

On-point, for sure.