Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My Cat is Peeing on our Bath Mats/Rugs :(

Our 2 year old Calico keeps peeing on any type of bath mat or rug that we have laying down in the same bathroom as her liter box. I've tried bleaching everything to see if maybe there's a smell or something that's drawing her back there but that doesn't seem to be working. I've taken her to the vet already too, to rule out infection. She hasn't done this before, she just started doing it within the last couple of months.

Have any of you ever had an issue similar to this? What were you able to do (if anything) to correct it?

Matt & Dana ? 11.01.08

[url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]

Re: My Cat is Peeing on our Bath Mats/Rugs :(

• I'm glad you've taken her to the vet.

Did you use an enzymatic cleaner? I'm not sure if bleach takes out the enzymes - your cat might still be able to smell it and think it's an acceptable place to potty.

Have you switched litters at all?

One of our cats had litter box issues following a UTI.  This is what we did:

-feliway diffusers - you can buy them on Amazon for much less than a pet store and get free shipping.  It's a synthetic cat pheromone that helps calm them.  They take about a month to kick in, and you may need more than one for your home.  There is a spray also that is immediate, so you could try that in the meantime.

-Cat Attract litter (we now use Precious Cat Multi-Cat litter; made by the same company)

-used Nature's Miracle to clean the areas

-confined to a dog crate with food, litter, blankets and toys to re-train on litter box

Good luck!

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Kaiene:

Did you use an enzymatic cleaner? I'm not sure if bleach takes out the enzymes - your cat might still be able to smell it and think it's an acceptable place to potty.

This- bleach won't do the job. Soak them with an enzymatic cleaner.  

• image stargazertechie:
    image Kaiene:

IMO- neither bleach or an enzymatic cleaner will work on bath mats as long as the cat is constantly peeing on it.  We have had to completely remove our mats from the house because the cat will pee on it regardless if it has been soaked (even for days) in an enzymatic cleaner.

However, the enzymatic cleaner works wonderfully in other places, just not the mats for some reason. 

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.
  • image wag more. bark less:
    image stargazertechie:
    image Kaiene:

IMO- neither bleach or an enzymatic cleaner will work on bath mats as long as the cat is constantly peeing on it.  We have had to completely remove our mats from the house because the cat will pee on it regardless if it has been soaked (even for days) in an enzymatic cleaner.

However, the enzymatic cleaner works wonderfully in other places, just not the mats for some reason. 

Good to know!

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another thing to try is Peroxide. 

I have a cat who behaviorally pees on things. I can't tell you how many shirts I've had to spot test, and then soak in hydrogen peroxide to make them wearable again. 

Again- spot test the peroxide first  

• Ditto everyone else, but also...can you just not have rugs or mats in that room?  I mean, use a bathmat when you shower, but pick it right up afterward.

We have a cat who has no problem with the litter box itself, but loves to pee on reusable grocery bags (as we unpack grocery bags, they get tossed to the floor and we found they were being instantly peed on).  The solution was to remove the thing he likes to pee on.  We don't leave bags on the floor, even for a second, and now he never pees anywhere but his litter box.

• Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies! It sounds like we're going to just have to keep them up off of the floor when we're done showering. I've never heard of the enzymatic cleaner, good to know in case we have any other issues down the road. Hopefully we don't though! :)
    Matt & Dana ? 11.01.08

[url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • Another thing to try--we have a cat that pees on any bath rugs/mats with rubber/non-slip backing. We've switched to towel type rugs with no backing and she stopped. Out vet said some cats are attracted to the smell of the backing.