Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Things to do before you have kids?

I saw the article on thenest homepage, but thenest articles always seem to suck. Sooo...

What's on your list of things to do before you have kids? Or if you already have kids, what are some things you did or wish you had done before you had kids?

Kaylee & Cole 06.14.08

8/6/11 First 5k! OG&E Expo Run 34:47
9/3/11 Brookhaven Run 5k 34:18
9/17/11 Healthy Sooners Fun Run 5k 33:38
10/15/11 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 33:31
10/29/11 Monster Dash 5k 32:06 PR!
11/11/11 Veteran's Day Run 11k in Dallas 1:13:15 Instant PR!
1/28/12 Texas Half Marathon 2:38:03 Instant PR!
3/25/12 Earlywine Dash

Re: Things to do before you have kids?

• Travel, travel, travel, travel, travel!!!
    image My man, Keiffer, in his latest mug shot. Isn't he so hot?
  • Hmmm...

We traveled a little before DS was born, but we still travel now that he's here. Either we take him with us or we leave him with the grandparents. 

You can always say you wish you saved more money, but there are no regrets there for us.

Honestly I don't feel like we're missing out on anything and I don't feel like I wish there was stuff we would have done. We were blessed with children at the perfect time in our lives because we always wanted to have our kids early in life.

That doesn't help you much, huh? Stick out tongue

• Have sex a lot. I mean a lot. Screw in the living room, the laundry room, wherever you feel the urge, do it. Enjoy sex in the morning on the weekend, enjoy your big comfy bed to do it in. After your kid gets here, you're more limited to time frames, vanilla locations, (aka the bed) and a lot of "is he up? Did you hear that? I need to go check".
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image BoyMom21:
    Have sex a lot. I mean a lot. Screw in the living room, the laundry room, wherever you feel the urge, do it. Enjoy sex in the morning on the weekend, enjoy your big comfy bed to do it in. After your kid gets here, you're more limited to time frames, vanilla locations, (aka the bed) and a lot of "is he up? Did you hear that? I need to go check".

LMAO!! You crack me up!!

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5fq6vl.jpg[/IMG]
    My Girls

06/10 [email protected] 10 weeks: 03/11 mc @ 8 weeks due to blighted ovum.
  • 1.  I reiterate the travel idea. And not just trips to see the folks or LV benders.  I think life-changing travel or exotic destinations are a must before kids... like Vietnam, China, Argentina, etc. Places that broaden your horizons and make you see things from a different perspective.  Love it! 

2.  I also like the spontaneous sex places. Anywhere. Anytime. No worries. 

3.  Career development.  I think reaching a certain goal in one's career is a must.  Whatever your goal is, I think it's good to say you've achieved whatever level of career satisifaction you need before you have kids. 

4.  Get good at a hobby.  You'll need it when you want time to yourself or when your kids are grown and you need to re-connect with other adults. 

5.  Buy a sporty fast hot rod.   

• For me it's getting to a certain point in my career so I won't get "mommy tracked."

For us as a couple, it's money, world travel (to places I wouldn't want to push a stroller/carry a diaper bag), and, quite frankly, a burning desire to have them. Until that's there, no babies for us!

• image BoyMom21:
    Have sex a lot. I mean a lot. Screw in the living room, the laundry room, wherever you feel the urge, do it. Enjoy sex in the morning on the weekend, enjoy your big comfy bed to do it in. After your kid gets here, you're more limited to time frames, vanilla locations, (aka the bed) and a lot of "is he up? Did you hear that? I need to go check".
    Yes honestly, this is a big one for us. We've made sure to enjoy our five years of having sex together whenever and wherever we want. Our bed is one the places we do it the least, actually, and I'm glad we've had that kind of sex life.

We're not big travelers but we've gone on some small trips and we're good with that. For us, it was more of a priority to pay down debt and to have quality "us" time--sex when and where we want, sleeping in, staying out late, doing last minute things just because, just getting to be selfish with our time before we add a LO to the mix.
  • BTW I just got the newsletter you're referring to. I like how it's says "15 things you should do before having kids" with a giant picture of a toddler screaming next to it. LOL
  • image Snowful:

1.  I reiterate the travel idea. And not just trips to see the folks or LV benders.  I think life-changing travel or exotic destinations are a must before kids... like Vietnam, China, Argentina, etc. Places that broaden your horizons and make you see things from a different perspective.  Love it! 

2.  I also like the spontaneous sex places. Anywhere. Anytime. No worries. 

3.  Career development.  I think reaching a certain goal in one's career is a must.  Whatever your goal is, I think it's good to say you've achieved whatever level of career satisifaction you need before you have kids. 

4.  Get good at a hobby.  You'll need it when you want time to yourself or when your kids are grown and you need to re-connect with other adults. 

5.  Buy a sporty fast hot rod.   

I absolutely agree with this. I have worked very hard on my career but I am no where near where I want to be.  Before I have kids I want to make sure that I have given it all. Let's face it - having kids never seems to have an effect on a man's career - just a woman's. I want to have no regret career-wise.

image My man, Keiffer, in his latest mug shot. Isn't he so hot?
  • I traveled coast to coast, went to Europe and Hawaii.

We had next to zero debt.

I finished my Master's and got my career started. 

I lost 35 pounds. 

If DH weren't military and we didn't move once every few years buying a house would have been on the list too. That's it. I did everything I wanted to do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • - I want to travel before we have kids. Not really anywhere fancy, maybe some type of long road trip or something (we like to travel, but we usually have other things we would rather spend our money on.)

- I would really love to go on some type of international mission trip before we have kids.

- Finish our degrees, and have good, reliable jobs.

- Pay off our vehicles.

That's pretty much all I've got so far. We haven't really thought about it before, but maybe we'll talk about it sometime soon! I like making lists :)

Kaylee & Cole 06.14.08

8/6/11 First 5k! OG&E Expo Run 34:47
    9/3/11 Brookhaven Run 5k 34:18
    9/17/11 Healthy Sooners Fun Run 5k 33:38
    10/15/11 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 33:31
    10/29/11 Monster Dash 5k 32:06 PR!
    11/11/11 Veteran's Day Run 11k in Dallas 1:13:15 Instant PR!
    1/28/12 Texas Half Marathon 2:38:03 Instant PR!
    3/25/12 Earlywine Dash
  • OUKapOUKap member
    Eighth Anniversary

I actually want to travel after I have kids. Not international locations when they are little, but as they get older, I want to expose them to more of the world and cultures. We set a goal at the beginning of the year to pay off the house within 5 years to allow for plenty of cash flow to make this happen.

I didn't want to have a kid after my promotion last year. I wanted to wait a bit to get adjusted to a very different role. I am glad I did because being pregnant makes you crazy/sick/tired/etc. I am not really worried about being mommy-tracked here. It's pretty family friendly. 

I wanted to be in a good financial situation and to have a house that would be suitable for children. 

• We're not planning on having kids, but I just wanted to say to Kap: your ticker just cracks me up every time it says something new. Ha ha!!
  • Really I just want to be done with my MM and maybe lose a little weight. We're tossing the idea around. I don't believe you have to give up everything you love, as long as you have a good support system, which we do.
    [IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • We've done a load of traveling. I have dreams of visiting at least 2 more continents before I am 30. We have also saved money, worked and are finishing school.We've been married 5 years now and I have to be honest in saying that children are not high on my priority list. I'm still in school as is dh. 
    Vacation
  • We're not sure if we are going to have kids, but I guess if we did decide to, here are some things I'd for sure want to do/take care of beforehand:

1. Travel exotic places and do a couple AI vacays (all inclusive).

2. Get through college and have at least one year in at the company I am working for at that time.

3. Have a house bought.

4. Have a pet dog. Seriously, I think if we have a dog and feel like we can barely handle that responsibility, then we shouldn't have kids!Stick out tongue

5. H have his career set. Right now he is a welder but he hates it and wants to be a full time photographer. He's working on building up a clientele before quitting his current job.

6. No debt - something we have already accomplished.

Celebrity Valentine:
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/hrj0qe.jpg[/IMG]
  • My new saying is "I want a boat before I have a baby".  I'm finally about to graduate and have a good job so now I'm just looking forward enjoying a decent paycheck and being selfish for awhile.  We will be building a new house, taking at least one vacation, and hopefully buying a boat before we have a baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker