Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Plantar fasciitis

I have it.  Yay.

I was curious if anyone has any tips for dealing with it.  I stretch my foot before I get out of bed and I've put orthotics in my shoes.  Both help, but the pain is still hanging around.  I run for exercise - about 6 - 8 miles a week (nothing grand!)

If you have/had it - what was worked for you to minimize the pain?

Re: Plantar fasciitis

• I roll a ball under my foot to massage the area (I use my son's large size super bouncy ball, but a golf ball would work), it seems to really help.
  • I have had it for a few weeks and it won't go a way. I tried running 3 miles last week and that was a big mistake. I feel your pain. I had to postpone my half marathon. I'm not too happy.
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/hx12j4.jpg[/IMG]

2012 Races:
    1/29/12-5K Mid West Expo Run 29:13
    2/18/12-10K Big Chili Run-1:00:57
    3/17/12-5K Luck of the Irish Run-28:15-PR!!
  • I limped around in pain from August until December.  Tried all of the exercises and even had the dr. tweek my orthotics and it still did nothing for the pain.  As a last resort the dr. put me in a cast for 4 weeks and it worked.  Having a cast was a PITA but I can now walk pain free.

Meine Welt... Meine Welt... Und die Liebe die wird rot Und der Hass schwarz wie der Tod Ich mach' das so wie's mir gef
  • I did a lot of foot stretching, icing and massaging, but the only thing that helped to eventually alleviate the pain was sleeping in a Strassburg Sock like this

(you can buy them on Amazon): image

It wasn't so bad, after a few days, I forgot it was on at night. It still took a few weeks of less activity and wearing the sock every night before the pain subsided. I did notice that the painful first step each morning got less and less the longer I wore the sock. Good luck!

photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg
  • Thank you, everyone!!
  • orthotics, stretching and rolling a frozen water bottle under my feet at night after i have been on them for a long time have helped me a lot.  Good luck - PF sucks but in my case i seem to be able to manage it, i hope you find some relief
  • Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Hi

There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual. Things that work for one will not always work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient.

I have found a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html

There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before you do something.

Icing or cold therapy is used to reduce inflammation so if you want to reduce your pain symptom you can apply ice. I prefer to roll a frozen water bottle.

Take care