Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The last 5 lbs *sigh*

Hi - I am new to this board. I am trying to lose those last 5 lbs especially around my middle before my wedding this summer. I have three months to go and I don't know what more I can do. I admit I ate really bad for most of winter until the beginning of 2011. But I have this area of fat around my hips and then also bulges when I wear a strapless top (such as will be my dress). 

I do cardio and weights. I limit myself to 1200-1400 calories. I eat out only on Fri and Sat nights. I am wondering if I should get a personal trainer or join a gym that has group personal training to teach me what else I can do.

Anyone have the same problem? Anyone using a personal trainer? 

BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12 - EDD 11/4/12 image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: The last 5 lbs *sigh*

• How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

You need to eat more. 

• 1200 calories is barely enough to sustain your daily bodily functions, WITHOUT exercise. 

You need to eat a few hundred more calories per day (it sounds counterintuitive, but trust us), and try eating clean (cutting out processed foods) to help with your midsection.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • image IndyGirl02:

1200 calories is barely enough to sustain your daily bodily functions, WITHOUT exercise. 

You need to eat a few hundred more calories per day (it sounds counterintuitive, but trust us), and try eating clean (cutting out processed foods) to help with your midsection.

Trust them! I just this morning broke through a 4 week plateau by upping my calories but a couple of hundred a day.

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • image IndyGirl02:

1200 calories is barely enough to sustain your daily bodily functions, WITHOUT exercise. 

Ditto this!  When you restrict your calories too much your body will go into survival mode and slow your metabolism, store fat, etc. because it thinks that it is being starved.

I found that when I was counting calories and BFing DS, I couldn't lose my last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight.  Once I upped the calories a little and added in some additional cardio, it came right off along with an additional 15 pounds.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • I broke though the "last 5 pounds" by measuring my food more (especially protein sources, it's way easier to go overboard without realizing it). Also just consciously getting more veggies in. If I wanted a snack it was carrots or cucumbers, if I wanted to have pizza for dinner I had to have a salad first. It helped a ton. I don't count calories (too obsessive for me and leads me to binge more). If I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not I don't. Some days I probably only have 1300, some days I probably get 2,500. It just depends on my hunger on that day. Calorie cycling is also helpful to increasing your metabolism.

I don't necessarily believe that 1200-1400 is too little for *everybody*, but for most young active women it probably is.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I don't feel starving or deprived with the amouont of calories I am eating. I am 5 feet tall and weigh 120. I need to get toned epecially in my arms and middle area - it's all flabby. I'm going to the gym about 3-4 days a week doing cardio. Here's what I ate yesterday for example:

Bkfst: hard boiled egg (80 calories), one piece of sandwhich thin (50 calories)

Lunch: eggplant stew, 1/4 cup of wild rice, a good mix of veggies with zucchini, bell pepper and potatos (all homemade leftovers) (estimated 360-370 calories)

Snacks: special k bar (90 calories), clementine orange, 20 pieces of almonds, low fat string cheese, another piece of the sandwich thin

Dinner: Salad with low fat dressing (just lettuce and tomatoes) and 2 slices of a small pizza (total for pizza 250 - it came from a frozen box so I know exactly the calories)

Do you still think that is too little for one day? Especially since I am short. Shorter than the average American woman.

BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12 - EDD 11/4/12 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • * I meant to say going to the gym 3-4 days a week doing cardio AND strength training (weights, situps, etc...)
  • image glaw:
    Do you still think that is too little for one day? Especially since I am short. Shorter than the average American woman.

I wouldn't say it's too little, but it seems a little heavy on the processed carbs(pizza/special K bar/sandwich thin) and severely lacking in protein. Are you a vegetarian?

Also I would try to up your calories at breakfast. They seem woefully low. I would try two eggs, one piece of WW toast, and maybe some fruit. Also add some more fat like peanutbutter or olive oil to your diet.

ETA - I'm also relatively short (5'4'') with a small frame and finally got below 120 (at 118 now with a goal of 115 and maintaining between 115-120) by eating cleanly and eating more fruits/veggies. I definitely eat more than you do, but I'm pretty active on a daily basis.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jan - I think you're right. I definitely need to lay off processed foods - like I was doing those lean cuisines for lunch and I'm done with that. Didn't make me feel good. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat red meat. At lunch, I'm limited to chicken. Fish is hard to find unless it's sushi but don't get me started on that. I did try peanut butter this morning so that was good. I will look into upping my protein and adding more fruit and veggies. Thanks for the tips. Good for you for getting under 120! And with a baby! And you're taller than me! You're inspiring.