Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Poll: Young Adult lit in the classroom...

If you could teach any young adult literature book in a middle/high school classroom, what would it be and why?

*I'm taking a Young Adult Literature in the Classroom course and will have to plan a unit based on a YAL book I would want to teach, but there are so many that I love, so I thought I'd get your opinions.. :)

Books Read in 2016: 4/50

Re: Poll: Young Adult lit in the classroom...

• The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Trouble Dont Last

Last year, I had to take a class like yours, and we read this book, written by a "local" author Shelley Pearsall.  

We actually had a class and lunch with her, and it was tons of fun. The book deals with run away slaves, and she wanted to show that some of the underground railroad actually went through and stopped in Ohio (where she is from.) 

The book has two male characters, an old man, and a young boy. It really is a 'catching' book for young readers. I highly recommend it.

*This book is for middle school. It's geared for the 9-12 age.

http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Dont-Last-Shelley-Pearsall/dp/0440418119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301606577&sr=8-1

• j*&p*j*&p* member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    The Book Thief would be great. I'd also consider The Hunger Games because it's so high interest, could appeal to both male and female readers and has a ton of possible themes for discussion. 
    image image
  • The Maze Runner. I loved how it showed all these strangers (at some point) coming together, learning how to be organized and strategize.
  • The Book Theif would be fantastic.  So would The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  There have been quite a few YA novels that I've loved with great messages recently (Fall for Anything, Before I Fall come to mind), but I don't think they would hold appeal for boys.
  • image j*&p*:
    The Book Thief would be great. I'd also consider The Hunger Games because it's so high interest, could appeal to both male and female readers and has a ton of possible themes for discussion. 

This. 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• kpowkpow member
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper

Twilight.

j/k

An Abundance of Katherines. I think there are some interesting themes that could be explored.

Can I marry them all?

• The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman.  There's so much depth in this one, with lots of ideas for you to explore in the classroom, including philosophy, ethics, government, and religion. One potential topic for discussion, off the top of my head, would be what form would your 'daemon' take and why? 

If your students get into it, then they can also finish the triology on their own.

Duxcaelo's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2011-goodreads shelf)
    Anniversary
  • Thirteen Reasons Why stands out for me.  I think it's a great example of how everything we do affects others.  Young adults tend to only think of how their actions impact themselves, but they have connections to so many other people (family, friends, classmates, teachers, etc.). 

I think choosing a book to teach would depend on the message you want to get across to your students and what you hope they'll learn.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • The Book Thief.  It's a great book, but also it is SO important for kids to learn about the holocaust and many districts don't teach it any more.