Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O IRL Book Clubs (Poll of sorts)

I've considered joining a local book club, but I don't have the foggiest clue how to go about it.  Very few of my friends read like I do, and those that read a bit don't have much interest in a book club.  I'm more of an introvert so just showing up at a book club, even if it was an open one, would be a challenge for me.  My only thought is to check out my library for some, but that's all I've got so far.

If you belong to a book club, how did you get involved with it?  If you don't but would consider it, how would you go about finding one and what would you look for in a book club?

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Wes: 10/8/2012

Re: S/O IRL Book Clubs (Poll of sorts)

• kpowkpow member
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper

I was invited to join mine when I met a couple of the girls in it.

Like you siad, I'd check with the library. Also, maybe local bookstores?

Can I marry them all?

• Do you have Facebook? Why don't you try posting on Facebook to see if anyone would be interested in joining a book club? My best friend did that and that's how our book club got started. Most of us didn't know each other but we all knew my best friend, who started the club, and now, over a year later, we're all great friends and LOVE book club meeting day.  

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Have you tried meetup.com?

I've joined several different types of groups through meetup (playgroups, a group to meet other couples - not a swingers group lol, etc) and I just joined 2 different book clubs through the site as well. They have so many different groups on meetup, you should be able to find a group to interest you...if not, you could always start your own. I joined 2 different book clubs because different people are in both and this way I can see which one is a better fit for me! Good luck to you. Hope you are able to find a book club that suits you!

• The ones in my library are much older people, men and women, and they didn't click with me. 

I did one with co-workers (they don't read the books at all and don't even take it seriously), and another with meetup with younger ladies. But the books were too sci-fi for my taste. So I started my own on meetup. 

I'm also very introverted and shy, but the meetups I've been to (BR and not) have been pretty painless. 

74 books read in 2011
  • Thanks ladies!  I will check facebook and meetup.   I was a little concerned about the age group of the library ones myself. 
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I joined an IRL book club through meetup.com, but I've never read a book or gone to a meeting.  I've found that I have zero interest in the books that they choose - maybe joining a book club really wasn't for me after all . . .
  • MA&CBMA&CB member
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I found my book club through craigslist.  The organizer (who is now one of my closest friends) invited me and another new member out to breakfast before the first meeting to help us feel comfortable and like we knew someone at that first meeting, which I thought was a really nice idea.  A good idea if you decide to start your own group anyway!
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/megangelos/0115.jpg[/IMG]
  • image MA&CB:
    I found my book club through craigslist.  The organizer (who is now one of my closest friends) invited me and another new member out to breakfast before the first meeting to help us feel comfortable and like we knew someone at that first meeting, which I thought was a really nice idea.  A good idea if you decide to start your own group anyway!

This is a good idea!  I was invited to join my book club by dd's doctor.  It was a little strange going to my first meeting since she was the only person that I knew there and I didn't even know her really well!

imageimage
  • I'm a member of 2 IRL book clubs and I found them both on meetup.com
    [IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z408/pinky833/6601556379_7ceaab418c_m.jpg[/IMG]
    1/100
  • I belong to 2 moms groups through meetup.com, one of which I run.  In each of the moms groups, I started a book club.  One has been meeting for 8 or 9 months now and we have between 5 and 7 ladies at each meeting.  We just had our first meeting with the other one and there was about 12 of us. 
  • Mine was started from my local knot board. Check out your local nest board and see if there's somebody in one.
    Slainte!
    my read shelf:
    Jenni (jenniloveselvis)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image jenniloveselvis:
    Mine was started from my local knot board. Check out your local nest board and see if there's somebody in one.

Great idea, thanks!

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

• I actually just asked this question on here a few weeks ago, and a lot of people said through their local nest board.  I posted on my local board, and actually ended up joining 2 and then starting another one, all with local nesties!  So I'd definitely suggest that.

Ziggy's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie - (Nvhz)

4 losses: Blighted ovum 1/11, CP 12/11, CP 3/12, and our perfectly healthy baby girl Charlotte Grace, missed M/C 5/31/12 at 8w5d

Surprise unmedicated BFP 9/21/12!! Beta #1 9/22 (10 DPO): 46 Beta #2 9/24 (12 DPO): 226! Heartbeat 136 bpm at 7w! It's a BOY!  Theodore Joshua 5/23/13 7:36am 7lb 13 oz, 19.25 in