Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Running Shoe Vent...

I'm so sick of dealing with this! I've always had a little trouble getting used to new shoes but this is reaching a whole new level of ridiculousness... I ordered shoes online (same ones I had and loved), got a blister the size of a quarter. Tried buying new insoles (got fitted for them), my blister got worse...Finally was able to get that blister to heal enough to go try on about 100 new shoes and found a pair I liked.

They have seemed ok so far but it is still the same issue - my arches are getting pummeled by my shoes! Now my other foot has a blister! I can go to 5.5 miles and after that it is all over... and I need to start doing 1/2 training in a couple of months... I DO NOT want to go back and bug the same guy at my local running store to help me try on more shoes! I've been in customer service and I can only imagine how much he probably secretly hates me! OK... I'm going to get over it now, I promise :)

TTC since 12/2012, Me: 27 DH: 28, Married since 8/2006

Re: Running Shoe Vent...

• My favorite shoe and favorite sock!

imageSaucony Fastwitch

imageAsics Hera sock

• Have you tried different socks?  BodyGlide on your feet before running? 

Does it seem to be callusing over, or does it just rub raw again and again?  I have a few areas of my feet that just have perma-calluses, where blisters once were.  They don't bother me at all any more.

If you've explored all of that and the shoes just really don't work, don't hesitate to bring the problem back to the running store!  The guy who helped you before will not hate you, as long as you're nice and polite and articulate about your issues.  It's his job to help you!

Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • I had the exact same problem for about two years--massive arch blisters no matter what shoe I wore. 

The thing that solved it was getting wide width shoes.  They have been a lifesaver.  Feet swell when you run, so it's common to need to go up a size.  I've been running without arch blisters for about a year now and it's an amazing feeling.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • image Brie2010:

I had the exact same problem for about two years--massive arch blisters no matter what shoe I wore. 

The thing that solved it was getting wide width shoes.  They have been a lifesaver.  Feet swell when you run, so it's common to need to go up a size.  I've been running without arch blisters for about a year now and it's an amazing feeling.

PIP the blister pics!!!
  • image Joenali:
    image Brie2010:

I had the exact same problem for about two years--massive arch blisters no matter what shoe I wore. 

PIP the blister pics!!!

LOL.  I think that was my introduction to the H&F board: "here are some gnarly blister pics, uh, help!"  

(WARNING! GROSS PICTURES AHEAD!)

The weirdest thing?  My sister started running after I did and had the exact. same. problem.  We must have twin feet.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • LOL! Ok that is definitely about twice the size of mine! It has all new skin underneath and just a rim of dead skin around the outside... kinda gross still! I tried pulling it off because I'm anal like that, but it seemed to make it worse so I'm trying to be strong and leave it alone!

I have always worn thin socks, never tried the wicking ones or body glide on them. I can feel pressure from the arches of the shoes, so honestly I'm not sure that a $10 pair of socks will help much! Who knows, maybe I'll try them after I go to the store tomorrow...

And I will definitely check into the wide sizes! I have really bony feet but all of the shoes I've tried on recently have felt uncomfortably tight around the middle of my foot, so we'll see!

Thanks for the support, I'm feeling less annoyed with my situation now! I just want to be able to get past this!

• You need wicking socks because cotton socks trap moisture and moisture leads to blisters. Body glide is also a must as sometimes blisters just happen - like shelby.ann said.
  • image .Mrs.Matt.:

LOL! Ok that is definitely about twice the size of mine! It has all new skin underneath and just a rim of dead skin around the outside... kinda gross still! I tried pulling it off because I'm anal like that, but it seemed to make it worse so I'm trying to be strong and leave it alone!

I have always worn thin socks, never tried the wicking ones or body glide on them. I can feel pressure from the arches of the shoes, so honestly I'm not sure that a $10 pair of socks will help much! Who knows, maybe I'll try them after I go to the store tomorrow...

And I will definitely check into the wide sizes! I have really bony feet but all of the shoes I've tried on recently have felt uncomfortably tight around the middle of my foot, so we'll see!

Thanks for the support, I'm feeling less annoyed with my situation now! I just want to be able to get past this!

Most WrightSocks are double-layered to give another level of blister prevention. The socks rub on each other instead of your feet. And I never go for a run without BodyGlide, Sportwax, or at least Vaseline on my feet. Can't believe you haven't tried an anti-chafe like that yet!!

• image Brie2010:
    image Joenali:
    image Brie2010:

PIP the blister pics!!!

LOL.  I think that was my introduction to the H&F board: "here are some gnarly blister pics, uh, help!"  

(WARNING! GROSS PICTURES AHEAD!)

The weirdest thing?  My sister started running after I did and had the exact. same. problem.  We must have twin feet.

Oh EFF me.... those are some serious blisters my friend. You are one bad mamba jamba.  I'm REALLY glad you finally got that problem solved. 

Just another day in never never land. Photobucket
  • boo... I have never had this problem and have run much farther distances in the past... I'll give the vaseline a try, though!