Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ugh. Need to vent...(sorry, very long!)

Oi. Bare with me here. I've apparently reached the boiling point and I have to get it out! (sorry for those on my fb that have heard this sad song repeatedly!)

So, most of you know that we've moved to Texas. (For those that don't, DH got reassigned, so we moved...that's the short version.) Some of you know that I'm an LPN, some of you probably don't. When we planned this move, it didn't even cross my mind that I might have trouble finding a job. I mean, there's a nursing shortage in this country right?! So, I quit my job, and moved with my DH because that's what military wives do, right? Urgh. Should've stayed in friggin' Oklahoma!

The basic principle of this story is this: Texas Board of Nursing will not transfer my license. Period, the end. No ifs, ands, or buts about it... Here's why.

In Oklahoma, you can qualify for equivalency for LPN once you've completed a certain amount of RN school. This comes in handy when you're, I dunno... a military wife who gets moved even occasionally. So, I'm what is referred to as an LPN equivalent candidate. I took a nurse refresher class as was a condition of my authorization to test for my boards. Basically a nurse refresher class is LPN school on steroids. It's self paced, has a book work portion, a skills lab portion, and a clinical portion. You just do it in 20 weeks instead of 52 or 60. It's brutal really. But I did it because the board of nursing asked me to. I then took national boards. The same board exam that any LPN/LVN in the United States of America takes. And I passed. Yahoo for me! Oh maybe not...

Fastforward 1 year. 3 job interviews and 2 job offers later- Texas Board of Nursing will not give me a license in Tx because I "have not been taught the scope of practice for an LVN." Seriously. I worked for a year as an LPN (Texas calls them LVNs). I pretty much think I probably understand my scope of practice. But because I dont' fit into their pretty little model of how education should work... no license for me. So I had to turn down 2 really fantastic job offers.

On top of that, we found out 1 week before all of this, that DS had gotten into the daycare that we loved-LOVED- that told us he wouldn't have a spot until Aug. OMG. I think my brain might explode.

I talked to everyone in the office at TBoN. I whined and cried and screamed and begged. I even had an email conversation with the Director of Operations. All to no avail. He says they've been trying for several years to get the board to overturn that rule, but they keep voting to keep it.

So now, I'm at a loss. Not sure where to go from here. I've applied for 8 jobs, yes 8, in the last 2 weeks. 3 of those jobs are in Oklahoma (2 in Lawton, 1 in Waurika). 1 of those is a job on base, and Lord only knows how long it'll take to process that. The other 4 jobs are completely beneath my skill level.

The other side of the story is, I don't have to work. If we live cheaply, and DS doesn't go to daycare, I don't have to work. But that also means I don't have adult interaction! This base is like 90% students, so that means that most don't have wives or children here. The majority of the "permanent" population is much older. I'm having a hard time not feeling depressed, or lost, or whatever this emptiness I've got going on. It's enough that I've considered moving back to Oklahoma with DS and living in a 1 bedroom apartment until I finish RN school, which is at least a year and a half. (We have a house in Ok, but it has tenants...) DH doesn't understand. He tries to be supportive, but sometimes he trips on his own feet about that. He keeps saying things like, "we'll do that when you get a job." I just want to scream at him. I mean, what if I don't. (this is where the irrational part sneaks in.)

Ugh. I think I just need some patience. Probably things will work out, but right now, I'm not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel. I almost feel bad whining about this. I know there are women all over the world that would give their left foot to be a SAHM. But I dont' think I was cut out for SAHM. I love spending time with DS, but I had DS pretty late in life by some standards, so I feel like I'm loosing part of me not being a "productive member of society."

Anywho... that's my superb!tch for the month... I'm ready for March to end. It's been horrible for nearly everyone I think. Thanks for letting me vent.

The length of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you are standing on! Photobucket
What do you mean that's the wrong side? Tastes great to me!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Ugh. Need to vent...(sorry, very long!)

• I really hope something works out for you! I know it can be really frustrating. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you don't see yourself being a SAHM. Obviously LO is very happy and loved. I'm glad you did get him into your top daycare. Big hugs and job dust to you!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • So sorry honey. It sucks major I know. I sort of felt like that when we moved here.....I hope you can find something soon, maybe even in SOK would be good right?? Ey...I hope you can figure it out soon. Look on the bright side....CA accepted mine so maybe they will accept yours too!!! :D
    No....click me!!!! Cause I'm the wedding bio! Bloggin it up! Prince Charming stole my heart and we rode off on his white horse... "A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous." -Ingrid Bergman- Lilypie First Birthday tickers Check out my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/LemonDropDesignShop
  • I love that line "So, I quit my job, and moved with my DH because that's what military wives do, right?"

Yes, I know that frustration. It is hard moving all the time. We've been married 5 years and so far we have moved 3xs. I have been so fortunate in my career/education but honestly, who knows how the next duty station will go? I'm sorry and I can only echo what has been previously stated.

Have you tried your hand at volunteering or earning some type of Red Cross certification?

Vacation
  • Ugh, yet another reason why Texas sucks. Sorry you're dealing with this Lexi, you're a great nurse and I'm sure things will work out but I know it's super difficult to be patient. Sending you job dust!! Glad the daycare spot opened up too!
  • image mrsGilB:

Ugh. I think I just need some patience. Probably things will work out, but right now, I'm not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel. I almost feel bad whining about this. I know there are women all over the world that would give their left foot to be a SAHM. But I dont' think I was cut out for SAHM. I love spending time with DS, but I had DS pretty late in life by some standards, so I feel like I'm loosing part of me not being a "productive member of society."

How frustrating!  I'm sorry that the Texas Board of Nursing apparently sucks.  You should absolutely not feel bad about being unhappy that you are not able to do what you love.  SAH is a great way of life for people who enjoy it, but you should not feel guilty if it's not for you.  I agree with the suggestion from PP about maybe trying to find a volunteer opportunity to keep you a bit busy and help with the adult interaction until you are able to find a job that's right for you.  Good luck!

• I think one of you may have a direct line to God's ear. Two things happened today. I got a call for one interview, the pay stinks, but at least it's something. Also found out that I may be able to transfer to a rural clinic from my old facility right into my basic same job! You girls are awesome! Thank you for all the encouragement and job dust! It's like my own little fairies! Yes
    The length of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you are standing on! Photobucket
    What do you mean that's the wrong side? Tastes great to me!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image mrsGilB:
    I think one of you may have a direct line to God's ear. Two things happened today. I got a call for one interview, the pay stinks, but at least it's something. Also found out that I may be able to transfer to a rural clinic from my old facility right into my basic same job! You girls are awesome! Thank you for all the encouragement and job dust! It's like my own little fairies! Yes

So glad to hear that! Big Smile

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I think if you work for a federal employer you don't have to transfer your license state to state. I might be wrong but we seem to have a boatload of RNs and LPNs at my hospital that have worked all over the country and several have said one of the perks of the federal employment is never having to move your license.

If that turns out to be true you could see if there is a clinic on base or Indian Health Services or a VA somewhere close, any of those could work. 

Army Wife Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hope everything works out for you!!  Sorry you're stressed.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image mrsGilB:
    I think one of you may have a direct line to God's ear. Two things happened today. I got a call for one interview, the pay stinks, but at least it's something. Also found out that I may be able to transfer to a rural clinic from my old facility right into my basic same job! You girls are awesome! Thank you for all the encouragement and job dust! It's like my own little fairies! Yes
    That's great, hope things conti us to look more positive!!