Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Protein powder overload - how do I know what to pick?

Yesterday it was suggested that I try drinking a protein shake/smoothy after my work outs. 

So now I've been looking up some recipes on line.  Most of them call for Whey protein powder.  Is this the best kind of protein powder?  I've seen a bunch, milk, eggs, soy etc.

Do I just go to GNC and buy a tub/jug/bucket or is there somewhere else that is cheaper or easier to get it from?  I hate having to go to the mall.

Any recomendations on what brand of powders to try?  Or maybe there's a better protein shake that doesn't involve powders at all? 

Do most people do flavored or unflavored?

Sorry for all of the questions, but thank you for your answers!

Re: Protein powder overload - how do I know what to pick?

• I've personally always used whey protein. From what my trainer told me it is one of the powders that is most easily absorbed by the body. That being said, my sister is a doctor and told me not to use a whole scoop of it at once because the kidneys can't process that much protein in one sitting (25 grams w/ the powder than another 8 grams because I mix with skim milk). Therefore I just use a half a scoop.

I personally like the chocolate flavored Pure Protein but everyone is different. I get my at Target because I find it is cheaper than going to GNC.

2011 Races
    3/12 5 mi -- 49:22 Pace: 9:52
    5/1 Half Marathon -- 2:11:22 Pace: 10:01
    5/22 10k -- 56:29 Pace: 9:00
    5/24 3.6 -- 29:03 Pace: 8:18
    7/10 15k -- 1:44:46 injured Pace: 11:14
    10/29 5k -- 28:24 Pace: 9:04
  • image dmarie979:

I've personally always used whey protein. From what my trainer told me it is one of the powders that is most easily absorbed by the body. That being said, my sister is a doctor and told me not to use a whole scoop of it at once because the kidneys can't process that much protein in one sitting (25 grams w/ the powder than another 8 grams because I mix with skim milk). Therefore I just use a half a scoop.

I personally like the chocolate flavored Pure Protein but everyone is different. I get my at Target because I find it is cheaper than going to GNC.

Sweet thanks!  I didn't realize that Target sold it.  I'll see if they have it at my store. 

• Whey is by far the most popular/common.  Other than that, you just have to find one you like.  Some supplements stores will let you taste some before you buy.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image MaineWifey:
    image dmarie979:

I've personally always used whey protein. From what my trainer told me it is one of the powders that is most easily absorbed by the body. That being said, my sister is a doctor and told me not to use a whole scoop of it at once because the kidneys can't process that much protein in one sitting (25 grams w/ the powder than another 8 grams because I mix with skim milk). Therefore I just use a half a scoop.

Sweet thanks!  I didn't realize that Target sold it.  I'll see if they have it at my store. 

I found it near the vitamins with the meal replacement bars and such.

2011 Races
    3/12 5 mi -- 49:22 Pace: 9:52
    5/1 Half Marathon -- 2:11:22 Pace: 10:01
    5/22 10k -- 56:29 Pace: 9:00
    5/24 3.6 -- 29:03 Pace: 8:18
    7/10 15k -- 1:44:46 injured Pace: 11:14
    10/29 5k -- 28:24 Pace: 9:04
  • I just purchased my tub today online at bodybuilding.com

The first one I bought was a chocolate and it wasn't very tasty.  I was told to try the french vanilla so that's what I am getting this time around :)

• If you have a BJs membership, you can get a 5 pound bag of EAS Whey in chocolate or vanilla for $27.99. It's a steal and they both taste great. I'd make sure you try it though before you buy a 5 pound bag.
  • image doglove:
    If you have a BJs membership, you can get a 5 pound bag of EAS Whey in chocolate or vanilla for $27.99. It's a steal and they both taste great. I'd make sure you try it though before you buy a 5 pound bag.

This is what we do as well.

• I really like Spiru-tein because they have a ton of flavors that are all really good and you can buy individual packs (90-100 cals; 14g of protein) if you want to mix it up. They also have unsweetened flavors too, which is nice because I like to add my own sweeteners.