Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Shin muscles ache from running and side aches

I'm just getting back into doing the C25K program and started this week.  I have a tendency to notice that the muscles surrounding my shins hurt and are sore.  Is this due to the way I run or will it subside once I get use to the program again?

I also always suffer from a side stitch when I run.  Why do I get these all the time?  I can even get them sometimes from simply walking!  Any way to prevent these too? 

Re: Shin muscles ache from running and side aches

• Are you wearing old shoes or shoes that you weren't properly fitted for at a running store?  If so, that explains the shin splints.  Go to a local running store and get fitted.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • What kind of shoes are you wearing when you run? How old are they?
  • I agree with pp's about the shoes. For the side pain, are you drinking a lot of water really close to running? I notice if I eat or drink too close to my run I am more likely to get them. I try not to have anything for at least 1 - 1.5 hrs. Sometimes I still get them, make sure you take deep breaths in your nose and let it out through your mouth. This is obviously hard when your heart rate is up, but sometimes a few really deep breaths will help.
  • The shoes are a few years old and not ones properly fitted.  I didn't even think about the shoes being the problem. 

I had bunion surgery in September to remove my bunion and the area still hurts when I wear these shoes, so I'm planning on getting new shoes soon to alleviate that pain and hopefully help with the shin splints then! Thanks!

• image lollipop320:
      I had bunion surgery in September to remove my bunion and the area still hurts when I wear these shoes, so I'm planning on getting new shoes soon to alleviate that pain and hopefully help with the shin splints then! Thanks!

You most definitely need new shoes. I had bunion surgery on both feet last year and although my shoes didn't change, I got refitted anyways to make sure. Are you running in orthotics as well? You really should be after having bunion surgery to prevent the bunion from returning if you choice to do a high impact exercise such as running.

• image Mofongo:
    I agree with pp's about the shoes. For the side pain, are you drinking a lot of water really close to running? I notice if I eat or drink too close to my run I am more likely to get them. I try not to have anything for at least 1 - 1.5 hrs. Sometimes I still get them, make sure you take deep breaths in your nose and let it out through your mouth. This is obviously hard when your heart rate is up, but sometimes a few really deep breaths will help.

I agree with this - it does help. Slowing down a bit will help, too. 

ExerciseMilestone
  • image doglove:

You most definitely need new shoes. I had bunion surgery on both feet last year and although my shoes didn't change, I got refitted anyways to make sure. Are you running in orthotics as well? You really should be after having bunion surgery to prevent the bunion from returning if you choice to do a high impact exercise such as running.

No, I do not have orthotics.  He never said or mentioned that they were necessary. 

• Side stich...why do we get them?  I still haven't figured that one out with trial and error.  However, after following advice from a Runner's World article, I know how I can get rid of them.  Set your breathing pattern to breathe in when the foot opposite the stich hits the ground and breathe out again when that same foot hits the ground a few steps later.

Ex: Side stich on right.  Left foot/breathe in, right, left, right, left foot/breathe out.  Does that make sense?  It make take a couple of minutes breathing this way, but it usually always makes my pain go away.  If not, stopping to walk is the only relief.

"I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind..."
    imageimageimage
    Recent Races:
    Chicago Half Marathon 9/11/11: 1:58:11 (PR)
    Race for the Cure 10k, Chicago 9/24/11: 51:52 (PR)
    ING New York City Marathon 11/6/11: 4:13:16 (PR)
  • image lollipop320:
    No, I do not have orthotics.  He never said or mentioned that they were necessary. 

This is a little bit alarming to me. You really do need to get orthotics IMO. Were your bunions from genetics or from wearing high heeled, pointed shoes? If they were genetics, then I would absolutely get some orthotics. Your doctor can fit you for these or I think you can get some custom made ones from Walmart now by Dr. Scholls.

You went through all the recovery from surgery so now it's time to do some prevention so they don't come back. And doing an exercise that has such a high impact like running, you can be guarenteed the bunion will probably come back so it's better to take measures now to prevent them than have the surgery again later.