Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Want to have backyard party - what about neighbors?

I want to host my birthday party in my backyard, which we've never done before. ?So this may seem like a silly question, but how much do I need to consider my next door neighbor in regards to the noise? ?She's a little old lady, that we don't know at all, and between the music and my crazy friends and family, I think it may get kinda loud. ?(It'll be on a Sat night, btw)

?Thanks!?

Re: Want to have backyard party - what about neighbors?

• Perfect way for you to meet your neighbors!  Go over and introduce yourself.  Let her know you're having a birthday party, offer an invitation, and if she refuses let her know that if the noise level gets too loud to please do not hesitate to let you know.  It will make you come off as caring and concerned and hopefully she'll go easy on you guys when you get crazy!

Also, I always figure any noise before midnight on a weekend is ok.  anything after that is pushing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with pp -- invite her beforehand, try to keep the music at a reasonable level during the party, and end the outdoors part of it around midnight. Make sure your guests don't block anyone's driveways, etc. If your neighbor doesn't show up at the party, you might take her a piece of cake or some leftovers the next day as a gesture.

And have fun!

• Check the noise ordinance in your town and see what time you need to "quiet down"

Be a considerate neighbor and alert everyone that you are having an outdoor gathering on Saturday night.  Please let them know what time you expect the party to begin and end.  If you sincerely mean it -- tell them a way to get in touch with you that evening if things get too loud.  That way she has a way to speak to you rather than calling the police. 

• image BridalKatie:

Check the noise ordinance in your town and see what time you need to "quiet down"

Be a considerate neighbor and alert everyone that you are having an outdoor gathering on Saturday night.  Please let them know what time you expect the party to begin and end.  If you sincerely mean it -- tell them a way to get in touch with you that evening if things get too loud.  That way she has a way to speak to you rather than calling the police. 

Ditto, this is exactly what I did for my party.

• No, I do not think that you are obligated to tell her about your party.  The respectful thing to do would be to make sure that the music stays at low levels and you wrap up the outdoor portion of the party before 10:00. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Invite her.  It would please her to no end .. she would most likely decline ... but hopefully she' come for an hour and walk home feeling included rather than bitter about the noise.
    My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • I think making the effort to invite her, and giving the neighbor a way to contact you if it's get too loud is a great way to do it.  However, i'm with North- maybe end the loud outdoor stuff around 10 pm.  I live in a half house apartment, next door to college students, and there have been a couple nights where midnight, even on a saturday, was WAY too late for them to be so loud. Not all old people stay up late.  :)