Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How much house for this income?

If you were a stay at home mom, and DH made $90,000 gross, in what range would you look for houses?

Other information:

You will do an FHA loan 

$40K student loan debt (DH)

you need to buy a new car soon--ETA: will be used vehicle purchase

DH's job is very secure

this is a 5-7 year home

E-fund is minimal, due to recent grad student status

ETA: To me, a minimal e-fund is three months of expenses. So we've got that. Now assume that we do have a 10% DP because we're waiting just a few months. All other numbers remain the same (debt, car, income). I added more info in a response below.

Re: How much house for this income?

• I would look for homes in the 150-180K range.  With that much debt, needing a car, and it only being a 5 year house (not your dream house), I would buy a fixer in a good area.  I would use this time to pay down debt... The worst thing in the world (IMO) is being house poor with no spending money.
    "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these." - Mark 12:30-31 studiowestway.com facebook.com/studiowestway
  • I personally wouldn't buy a 5-7 year home in this market and wouldn't buy at all at this time without an efund. If you accumulate 3 months efund and at least 10% down, then I'd look in the $150-$200 range depending on how much you want to travel, save for kids' college, etc. Oh---forgot retirement savings. I'd buy less house (like $150-$175 and save a lot for retirement, particularly if you're a SAHM.)

I'm also adding on that I really like JLimberg's idea of a fixer upper if you must buy a short-term house and are handy.

• Because I follow Dave Ramsey's baby steps... this is what I would do....

Pay off all debt before buying a house (credit cards, car loans, students loans)

Save an emergency fund with 3-6 months of expenses 

Save a minimum of 10% to put down 

Take out a mortgage that is no more than 25% of your NET monthly income (including taxes and insurance). If your DH grosses $90k that would put you at about $5k net per month....? So your mortgage payment could be $1250 including, taxes and insurance, per month. Let's say your taxes and insurance is $400/month, you could probably afford to mortgage  $170k (that's after your down payment).

• I think I'd stay out of buying until you have beefed up the e-fund to at least 3 months expenses. Even then, one big expense (especially with a fixer upper--things could go wrong quickly if it's older and hasn't been updated) could wipe you out. I could not be comfortable. Like jlimberg said, just make sure you aren't house poor when you move in. If you're going to do it, you want to be able to enjoy the new home and do the little fun things (decor, new flowers, a fun mirror, whatever). I honestly can't tell you what range to stay in without knowing your expenses for each month. If you're ridiculous with your groceries, fun money, car payments, etc my answer would be different than if you're conservative.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My definition of minimal e-fund is three months of expenses. Sorry I wasn't clear.

We actually could easily accumulate a 10% down payment if we just waited a few months. 

So, new situation: three month e-fund, 10% down payment.

We are very conservative with all other expenses. I'm planning on going back to work in a couple of years, but we still only want to live off DH's income.

Thanks for your input. I don't regularly post here, but I wanted to ask local women who are familiar with OK real estate. 

• I would not recommend a fixer upper - Even if you get a home in short sale or foreclosure (as we did), the costs to fix up a house are astronomical - you would be better off buying a house that doesn't need work.

Signed, someone that spent $40k last year fixing up her house (but has yet to tackle two bathrooms and the kitchen)

Before I can make an informed decision, can you tell me what his net is (actual cash deposited into your account after medical, 401k contributions, etc)? 

• I would say $175-200K off the top of my head, but it depends on what you can afford. Student loans and new car purchase can have a big impact on the budget. Do you want a bigger house or more vacations or pay for kid's education, etc?
  • image stripesandspots:

I would not recommend a fixer upper - Even if you get a home in short sale or foreclosure (as we did), the costs to fix up a house are astronomical - you would be better off buying a house that doesn't need work.

Signed, someone that spent $40k last year fixing up her house (but has yet to tackle two bathrooms and the kitchen)

Before I can make an informed decision, can you tell me what his net is (actual cash deposited into your account after medical, 401k contributions, etc)? 

Net is about 4950 after retirement and health insurance.

Thanks to everyone so far. I was originally thinking houses in the 140K-165K range, so seems like I wasn't too off base. We're fine with living small and modestly.

• image anAEforme:
    image stripesandspots:

I would not recommend a fixer upper - Even if you get a home in short sale or foreclosure (as we did), the costs to fix up a house are astronomical - you would be better off buying a house that doesn't need work.

Net is about 4950 after retirement and health insurance.

Thanks to everyone so far. I was originally thinking houses in the 140K-165K range, so seems like I wasn't too off base. We're fine with living small and modestly.

I would stay around $140k. You can get a nice house for $140k in Oklahoma.  Further, houses in this price range are selling quickly as people continue to downgrade due to the economy which is causing these homes to quickly appreciate in value making this a great investment for a short-term living situation. 

Good luck!