Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

gardening

For those of you who garden, when are you planning on planting? I just started my seedlings, but I don't know when to put them in the ground. Last year was my first time with a garden, and I planted too late (late May) and did no seedlings so I had a sparse harvest. This nice weather is giving me garden fever, but I know it's too early to put seeds in the ground, especially since it was sub-freezing just last week!
image image

Re: gardening

• In regards to when to put plants in the ground, my mom swears by April 15. It's an easy to remember date (tax day) and that just happens to be the last frost date, on average, in OKC.

Haven't decided what all I'm doing, but I plan on doing some big pots in the back where I get more sun with lettuces, herbs, cherry tomatoes, and a few others. In the front, I'd like to put some nasturtiums along the edge of the planter so they can grow over the wall. Other than that, I just like to go to the nurseries and find plants that grow well here and that are different. I'll put in petunias, begonias, the usual suspects, but I'll throw in something unexpected here and there, too.

I also need to plant some shrubs in the front in a very shady area. Have to figure out what will work there. Sounds like it's going to be an expensive planting season. Indifferent

[IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • I agree with the PP.  If you want to go ahead and start some seedlings indoors now, that's fine, but be prepared to keep them inside for a while.  April 15th is a good date to start taking your plants outside, and sometimes I try to wait even a few weeks longer just to avoid some bad weather.  Two years ago I got hit by some late frosts, and then last year my garden got damaged by the hail storm in May.  You just never know what's around the corner, but now's a good time to start planning your garden and get those seedlings going.