Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: Reco your dog food please

i have an allergy-sensitive dog and am desperate to find a solution to help with his wheezing and congestion. please reco your dog food and anything else you've tried for other dog health issues. thanks!!!

Re: XP: Reco your dog food please

• You might try paging nital on the pets board.  Or, are you FB friends with her?  She knows a lot about dog foods.
    Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Not sure about how it will work with allergies....but we have a little furbaby who has a sensitive stomach and we feed him Blue Buffalo Basics. He loves it and it seems to be working great for his issues.

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/blue-basics.shtml

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What kind of foods have you tried? We feed Acana Pacific - its a grain-free fish based food. Tomlinson's has a lot of really good quality brands if you're close to one of their locations.
  • we use natural balance, it's suppose to be good for dogs with allergies
    IMG_1749_2
  • Both of our pets are on special, prescription foods but they're both the Royal Canin brand.  I know that they make food that isn't prescription so you might look into that.
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/rwjjpd.jpg[/IMG]
  • I have a cocker spaniel, which is a breed prone to allergies.  I used to give my dog Eagle Pack Holistic (http://www.holisticselect.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog) Anchovy, Sardine, and Salmon the first two-three years that I had him, but for some reason, his taste changed.  Therefore, I switched to Arcana (Grasslands version) made by Champion Pet Foods (http://www.championpetfoods.com/).  They, also, offer a slightly higher protein line called Orijin.  Their ingredients are extremely high quality if you check out their website. 

I don't buy dog food from the major pet food makers.  Also, I wanted to let other Nesties that feel the same way to know that Proctor & Gamble just bought out Natura Pet Products last year, who makes Innova, Evo, California Naturals, Healthwise, and Karma. 

• I have both a dog and cat with food allergies.  The food made a HUGE difference.  We get our food from Tomlinson's and only use food made from things like salmon, wild buffalo, etc.  Nothing from a farm.  It's the hormones that the animals are injected with that our pets are allergic to.  We use Taste of the Wild and Nature's Balance.  The people at Tomlinson's are super helpful so I recommend going in there and talking to them.
  • thanks for the suggestions! we use blue buffalo - lamb, i believe (the green bag). and we've tried prescription before that basically had everything stripped out of it (he hated it and wouldn't eat). he seems to stomach blue buffalo really well, but his respiratory allergies aren't getting any better.

the vet is starting to think he's developed asthma.  

• Are you giving any allergy meds like benadryl or zyrtec? Do you think its environmental allergies or food allergies?
  • yeah he gets 2 pills of zyrtec a day. i'm thinking it's more environmental allergies since he doesn't have upset stomach or anything like that. we played with his food a little bit, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on his health (only his preference of what he wanted to eat).