Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

dog has dry skin?

Everytime I take my dogs to my parents house, they come back with fleas (despite the fact that they take flea and tick preventative).  I'm guessing it is in large part to my parents living in the country.  Well, he came back itching like crazy so I took them to get them groomed today so there was less hair for the fleas to play in so we could treat it.  Well... I actually think his skin is just really dry and its kind of flaky in some places.  I know he has allergies and we give him benadryl (suggested by the vet) and fish oil pills and we always use oatmeal shampoo for their allergies too.  But, does anyone know of anything I can do right.this.second to try and help alleviate some of the scratching.  With the benadryl and fish oil, he should be better in a couple of days but he is itching like crazy and DH is about to strangle him because he is tired of hearing the scratching and I know my dog is just miserable.  Thoughts?
Blog
TTC #1 since February 2011
BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
July 2012- SA completely normal

Re: dog has dry skin?

• Lola get very itchy allergies and dry skin. If it's really I'll give her a good bath and the lather her in aloe. Seems to give her relief. She is too small to give OTC drugs so I'm no help. Hope they feel better!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Does the aloe make her sticky or feel gooey or anything like that?
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • One of our dogs had really itchy dry red skin when we adopted him as a puppy. We use puppy shampoo on him and initially, we gave him a food supplement for a healthy coat (I think it had fish oil in it). We found that bathing him more often seemed to help more because it loosened the dead skin. For the long run, the best thing that we did was that we started giving him a raw egg with his food once or twice a week (the vet okayed it) and he has the most beautiful shiny coat and healthy skin now. He loves it, too - every time he hears an egg crack, he comes running!

Could it be food allergies at all? I have heard that they can affect skin. You might ask your vet about that, and also maybe about steroids like a cortisone shot.

Business Cat. image
  • Sorry, I don't have any immediate remedies.  I'm not sure what type of flea and tick prevention you use, but when you see your vet the next time, I would mention the situation of your dogs getting fleas at your parents' home.  I know fleas exist year-round, but I thought they are less prevalent in the winter time, so your vet may have more effective flea and tick preventatives.

Also, I have a cocker spaniel, too, which I'm sure you are already aware are prone to allergies.  My vet suggests that I add BOTH a plant and animal based fat/oil to my dog's diet.  Therefore, I add fish oil or chicken fat and olive oil to my dog's food.

• I would try a different shampoo - grain allergies are common in dogs, so an oatmeal shampoo might be making the itching worse. I use Buddy Wash brand and really like it.
  • And if you think his skin is dry often, you might want to try a different food. Grain free fish based foods are generally good for skin.
  • i don't have any immediate remedies, but my dog suffers from skin allergies (and seasonal and maybe even asthma. oy). we bought a tub of dinovite (dinovite.com), which is basically a supplement we sprinkle over his food. i don't know what miracles are in there, but that seems to be the only thing that consistently keeps him from getting itchy and having bald spots. 

we also do fish oil pills and double the zyrtec, etc.  

• Most people I know that have had problems with their pet's skin has been due to food allergies.  Have you tried switching him to a food where the meat hasn't come from a farm?  Like Salmon, wild bird or something?  That literally took care of both my cat's and my dog's skin problems as well.  Many friends have had the same problem with the same results.  Tomlinson's is a great place to shop if you go that direction.  They have a lot of food that is price conscious too.