North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o Carcinogens

What things do you go out of your way to do to avoid carcinogens?

Re: s/o Carcinogens

• I don't smoke and I try to avoid smokey bars, but that's more because of my allergies/asthma than because of carcinogens. I also try not to drink water bottles that have been in my car for a long time in the heat but that's only because my mom nagged me about it.
    image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • I don't smoke, and I try to avoid nuking in bleached plastic containers, but I'm not obsessive about it. With all the stuff I'm exposed to at work, freaking out about things without a clearly-proven causative effect is a little silly.  I'm not going to bathe in a pool of radiation, but I'm not going to stop wearing underwire bras or listening to every bit of sensationalized news.

ETA: And I'm a sunblock nazi. Again, proven and causative link.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." - Dale Carnegie
  • image jenhappy:
    With all the stuff I'm exposed to at work, freaking out about things without a clearly-proven causative effect is a little silly.  I'm not going to bathe in a pool of radiation, but I'm not going to stop wearing underwire bras or listening to every bit of sensationalized news.

Hallelujah! Correlation does NOT equal causation!

image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • I don't smoke, I try not to heat things in plastic, I try to drink filtered water from BPA free bottles/containers, I wear sunscreen.
  • Well I'm not drinking the tap water if I should ever find myself in Norman, OK.

Other than that, I try to use common sense & live a healthy life. EX: No smoking or long exposure to overly smokey environments. We don't eat all organic but I try my best to limit our exposure to pesticides and things of that nature. I'll pay attention to guidelines when using things that suggest gloves or good ventilation etc. I limit my use of artificial sweetners. Things like that.

My mom has worked in Oncology for years so if there is something that makes her uneasy in a product I usually take her advice. There are so many things out there and you never know what true & what's not so I try not to obsess. 

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/4tof9e.jpg[/IMG]
  • Ditto pp's, I don't smoke and try to limit contact with smoke. I haven't really considered the microwaving in plastic containers.
    Blog

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsjeLIN/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wsjeLIN/weight.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • I don't smoke and avoid second-hand smoke and I use sunscreen daily (I had a melanoma scare last year - not fun!).  I try to make sure that we eat fairly clean and we avoid processed foods, sometimes it is hard though, since we both work full-time and don't have a lot of time at night.
    image image
    imageimage
  • I cannot stand to be around smoking, and avoid it at all costs. If I hear something remotely causes cancer, I stay away. The one thing I do not do though is the worst thing possible and that is wear sunscreen --- I am allergic.Highly allergic (hives for weeks and anaphylaxis).  I am also kind of obsessive about eating tons of anti-oxidants and drinking green tea daily. Hoping maybe one day all those antioxidants will pay off and get rid of all my cancer causing free radicals.

• mh, have you narrowed down which ingredient in sunscreen you're allergic to? I also got pretty serious hives from sunscreen until they started coming out with organic type versions, like Alba, and I am able to use those without reacting.

I do what most pp do to avoid carcinogens, and also don't char things on the grill. Unless it's a hot dog, but I figure I'm taking my life into my hands anyway with those :D

• I have gone to the doctor & tried several and I still haven't found on that I don't react to. I eventually gave up trying. I have the same issue with lotions and face washes too though. The night before our wedding I used a new face wash and had hives so badly on my face for my wedding day. I may give the ones you're talking about a try. My husband had 3 serious run ins with melanoma and it scares me to not use anything.

Ps- I am the same way about my hot dogs, have to have them charred or I won't eat them.