North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o "men's only" law firm

I didn't want to take away from the other thread and Liz's situation, but I am interested in what your thoughts are on this.

Personally, from strictly a business standpoint, I think it's marketing genius in a struggling economy where surely law firms are trying to distinguish themselves.  Even in Liz's XH's situation, he didn't have a lawyer so he called this law firm that he had seen commercials for that he felt would best represent him.  Hook, line, and sinker for their marketing ploy.

And also ditto Lucky on the sentiment that I think it's good to have a firm that specializes in men's rights since women do benefit the majority of the time.  Would everyone be so up in arms if it was switched around and there was a law firm that targeted serving women going through a divorce? 

ETA:  Obviously this is not the case in your situation, Liz, and I hope it wasn't taken that way.   

Re: s/o "men's only" law firm

• Oh, its absolutely genius to distinguish themselves and have a niche in such a saturated market.

And do you know how many divorce attorneys there are who only represent women?  They aren't as open about it, but there are quite a few.  I know common tactic in nasty divorces is to get as many consults with attorneys as possible to essentially "*** block" your STBEx from gaining representation.  This helps eliminate that.

• The more I think about it the smarter their campaign seems to me (especially since they made the edits that wouldn't open them up to being sued for employment discrimination.)

I don't think there would necessarily be the same hoopla about it which isn't right. I'm trying to picture the opposite ad in my head and think whether I would have the same reaction and I just keep laughing because I picture these really serious masculine women saying "Only women, serving only women" and I get dirty thoughts...

image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • I can see both sides. I mean, on the one hand, I can see how they do come off as "woman-hating", but on the other, I have friends who lost their children in divorces because the courts tend to favor mothers who could have benefited from this kind of service.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo Credit: www.westhousephotography.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As someone who knows nothing about divorce, if there was a firm that seemed to specialize in what I was looking for, I think it's genius. And it doesn't seem like they're breaking any laws by saying they 'specialize in men's rights' not they're exclusive to men.

Honestly, I can't even imagine how scary it is to go through, and how vindictive people get, so I wouldn't be surprised at the lengths both spouses go through to screw each other over.  

Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11
  • image DevonStiles:

Oh, its absolutely genius to distinguish themselves and have a niche in such a saturated market.

And do you know how many divorce attorneys there are who only represent women?  They aren't as open about it, but there are quite a few.  I know common tactic in nasty divorces is to get as many consults with attorneys as possible to essentially "*** block" your STBEx from gaining representation.  This helps eliminate that.

This. I think that it's extremely genius & there is definitely a market for it. The only thing that stood out to me is the "Women are evil, men are the wronged victims" undertone of their commercial. I watch the commercials & literally see "Bitterly divorced",  "Wife took me for all that I had"  etc written across their foreheads. I find it humorous.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/4tof9e.jpg[/IMG]
  • image luckyinlove11902:

The more I think about it the smarter their campaign seems to me (especially since they made the edits that wouldn't open them up to being sued for employment discrimination.)

I never took it as an employment thing - I figured there would be women working at the firm.  In what capacity?  Who knows.  But I always took it as "we serve MEN only."

And based on their website, there is a female attorney on staff.

• image DevonStiles:
    image luckyinlove11902:

The more I think about it the smarter their campaign seems to me (especially since they made the edits that wouldn't open them up to being sued for employment discrimination.)

I never took it as an employment thing - I figured there would be women working at the firm.  In what capacity?  Who knows.  But I always took it as "we serve MEN only."

I could swear that the first commercial they put out had the line "Only men, serving only men" in it, which to me meant they didn't have women on staff. I tried to find it online but no luck of course. I remember the first time I saw it because my friend who is in law school was sitting next to me and we talked about it for a while afterward. They may have had women in the firm at that time, but the commercial implied otherwise to me. I also find it interesting that they have a female attorney on staff but she's not in the commercials. It's only the "assistant" or whatever she is. I guess not having the female attorney in the commercials makes sense from an advertising perspective though.

image Daisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • As a marketing tactic, it is a genius move - Im "man" enough to admit that. However, I have heard from several sources that the firm (not one person specifically) has a bad reputation within the community of lawyers for what could be generalized as "shady tactics". I, of course, wouldnt be able to back that up because its just gossip, but they didnt get the name "women haters" from me.  

When looking for representation, it is very hard to distinguish one attorney from another. I tried to pay more attention to success rates, and reputation more than marketing tactics. For example. I dont like the Morgan & Morgan ads or the Harrell & Harrell ads because I cant help but feel like they're too big and I would be "just another client" and that they would only care about my interests if they could see a big payout in it. This is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

And can someone please shoot "Ross" from the Gary ads?

Me and Matt Dec 2010
  • Is it good marketing? Absolutely. Does it still skeeve me out? Yep.
    Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image DevonStiles:
    image luckyinlove11902:

They do, in fact, have females on staff. As it so happens to be, my STBXH has a female lawyer.

Me and Matt Dec 2010
  • image BusyLizzy98:

As a marketing tactic, it is a genius move - Im "man" enough to admit that. However, I have heard from several sources that the firm (not one person specifically) has a bad reputation within the community of lawyers for what could be generalized as "shady tactics". I, of course, wouldnt be able to back that up because its just gossip, but they didnt get the name "women haters" from me.  

When looking for representation, it is very hard to distinguish one attorney from another. I tried to pay more attention to success rates, and reputation more than marketing tactics. For example. I dont like the Morgan & Morgan ads or the Harrell & Harrell ads because I cant help but feel like they're too big and I would be "just another client" and that they would only care about my interests if they could see a big payout in it. This is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

And can someone please shoot "Ross" from the Gary ads?

Most personal injury attorneys have that feel... and when you're going up against a big corporation, going to a firm with a large staff has its advantages.  But that's another debate for another time.

• image Mrs_Link:

I can see both sides. I mean, on the one hand, I can see how they do come off as "woman-hating", but on the other, I have friends who lost their children in divorces because the courts tend to favor mothers who could have benefited from this kind of service.

I agree.

image image
    imageimage
  • Good marketing!

I have a friend that works at a pretty large firm here in town and she said that the "only men" lawyers are a joke. She knows the one that advertises on t.v. and the men usually just end up at another firm. She says that they get the men there, jerk them around, have them waiting forever, and they end up just taking their money.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/20f6ivk.jpg[/IMG]